Home Sports Talk

Odd, I thought...

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

About the total lack of posting(s) about the Nationals/Cubs game last night. Clearly on of the most exciting games in post-season history.
There are posts here ad nauseum about football...which I no longer watch, but nary a peep about a great baseball game. A tremendous comeback by the Cubs. I thought Dusty Baker was gonna swallow that toothpick!

Perhaps there are no, or very few Cubs fans here.

Comments

• dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

maybe it shows there are more AL baseball fans here. The whole no DH thing in the NL really bothers me.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2017 7:47AM

The whole DH thing in the AL has ruined the game for me and I'm an American League guy. I liked it at first but grew to hate it. National League baseball is actually fun to watch with more intrigue. American League Baseball is like checkers and NL baseball is more like chess.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    The whole DH thing in the AL has ruined the game for me and I'm an American League guy. I liked it at first but grew to hate it. National League baseball is actually fun to watch with more intrigue. American League Baseball is like checkers and NL baseball is more like chess.

mark

I totally agree with that.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a mystery to me, this DH biz...it appears it has become a spot for older players to play...like Ortiz and so many others. If I had a vote, I'd trash it...

The burden now falls on the AL WS team, who must bat their pitcher when on NL field...almost a given out, which could prove crucial in certain game situations...like bases loaded, 2 outs bottom of the 9th inning, down by 1 run and plinko, pops out to the pitcher.

Actually, when I was working, we had a softball team, pretty competitive...BUT, it was coed. So, one of the "ladies" was pretty much into the game, the "lesser involved lady" was just prancing around and clueless. So, man on 2nd and 3rd, 2 outs, and 9th inning, we're down by a run. The count is now 3-0, we're are hollering "take the pitch", "take the pitch", our CRUSHER center-fielder is up next...so what does Ms Clueless do? She hits a pop up marshmallow to the pitcher. We all drop our jaws in disbelief, this was a championship game. Her response was "well, women can hit too"...it was too insane for me...walked over to the coach and told him I was done, I never played again in anything remotely associated with coed.

Other than that, I enjoyed the women I worked with... B)

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

I agree with that but...chess is boring to watch. Checkers is much faster paced.

I liked playing co-ed softball. We had a gal who would hit it over the drawn in outfielders head the first time they would play us. It was hilarious

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Checkers is the first game kids learn how to play. The moves are very limited.

King me

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know one thing.....

Dusty Baker has become the Marty Schottenheimer of MLB!

Steve

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

I do, too, so it must be true as I hardly ever agree with Dimeman, lol. ;)

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@SDSportsFan said:
    I know one thing.....

Steve

Draw to Byner....

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2017 8:57PM

At four hours, thirty seven minutes...it was more like a great two games.

Hrumpf

@Coinstartled said:
    At four hours, thirty seven minutes...it was more like a great two games.

Hrumpf

You sure are grumpy for someone who has declared he never watches sports yet posts so often in the Sports talk forum, lol..

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:
    I know one thing.....

Steve

And now ESPN is reporting Dusty's out as the Nationals' manager.

Steve

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

The whole no DH thing in the NL really bothers me.

I think like everyone else, I hate the DH and it gives an unfair, albeit very slight edge, to the NL in their park. overall, it robs the AL clubs of strategy. no one knows how to bunt anymore and almost no one uses the opposite field to move runners. sure, batters hit the other way when they get pitched outside but nobody knows how to get there on an inside pitch. a lot of tactic is lost with the DH and since the pitcher never hits he can stay in longer in close games.

it has lengthened the careers of players but I don't see that as good trade-off. if you can't play in the field you shouldn't bat, and maybe lose weight and tone your body.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    The whole no DH thing in the NL really bothers me.

I think like everyone else, I hate the DH and it gives an unfair, albeit very slight edge, to the NL in their park. overall, it robs the AL clubs of strategy. no one knows how to bunt anymore and almost no one uses the opposite field to move runners. sure, batters hit the other way when they get pitched outside but nobody knows how to get there on an inside pitch. a lot of tactic is lost with the DH and since the pitcher never hits he can stay in longer in close games.

it has lengthened the careers of players but I don't see that as good trade-off. if you can't play in the field you shouldn't bat, and maybe lose weight and tone your body.

you are discriminating against lazy fat baseball players , what will they do without the DH slot?

Myself I'd get rid of the DH on the faint hope it would speed up the games a little. Pitchers have quicker at bats maybe that takes 10 minutes off a game

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to see a pitcher who deliberately hits a batter have his turn stepping into the batters box.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    I'd like to see a pitcher who deliberately hits a batter have his turn stepping into the batters box.

My sentiments exactly. Especially so after the Piazza beaning by Clemens. Would of possibly changed the "Rockets" style a bit knowing he'd of taken a few lumps along the way. Levels the playing field.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

It should be the same for both Leagues and I prefer no DH. Get it back to the way Baseball was supposed to be played.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

what were you guys saying about pitchers "batting"?