Home Q & A Forum
Options

Plantchet scraped through debris? Please read experts

Hello. I found this penny a while back, and a lot of people say it’s pmd, but I really think it’s not. I think that it’s a plantchet scraped through some kind of debris before striking. There is no indication that this has been scratched after the mint. The copper is still remaining in the valleys of the lines. Unless something really soft made multiple dents and that’s why the copper is still there, I really find it hard to believe that this is not an error. If it is just damaged, please tell me how something can damage this, make it look scraped, and leave the copper behind..?

Comments

• Options

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's hard to tell for sure what you have from the images you posted. These coins were copper plated Zn. They can be found with horizontal plating bubbles but these look like they are into the coin's surface. The fact that they don't continue from the field into the rim should rule out PMD. I've never seen this on a cent before. My guess would be they were on the planchet and didn't strike out.

Let's summon someone here who may know... @FredWeinberg

• Options

Here you go insider, hopefully this is better images

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat coin. Let's see what Mr. Weinberg says.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    It's hard to tell for sure what you have from the images you posted. These coins were copper plated Zn. They can be found with horizontal plating bubbles but these look like they are into the coin's surface. The fact that they don't continue from the field into the rim should rule out PMD. I've never seen this on a cent before. My guess would be they were on the planchet and didn't strike out.

Let's summon someone here who may know... @FredWeinberg

Here you go insider. Posted more pictures above.

• Options

Thank you insider. Appreciate your help. :)