Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Counterfeit $100 came in last night.

I work at a hotel here in Montana. I do the night audit. And for only the second time ever, in all my years in retail / hospitality / whatever that involves cash, I saw a counterfeit bill.

Terrible quality too. The one who accepted it is only 18, so I guess didn't really bother to look too closely.

Only other bill I ever saw that was counterfeit (that I KNOW of) was a $5 way back probably about 12 years ago.

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

Tagged:

Comments

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Counterfeits of U.S. currency are rare in the U.S. but more frequently encountered overseas.

It's a bit surprising that someone would try to pass one at a hotel where they might might stand a better chance of getting caught.

Do you know which guest tendered this note and if it was upon check in or check out?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got one in 2008, at a bank no less. It looked "off" to me and I handed it back to the teller and she slashed at it with one of those stupid pens. I asked for it back, held it into the light and voila there was Abraham Lincoln's watermark where Ben Franklin should have been. Handed it back to her and told her Abe should not be on the $100, Ben should be. It was a bleached $5 that had been printed over with the design of the $100.

I am guessing she might have had something put in her personnel file over it because she had bought it from another teller that morning and hadn't caught it.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭

Very interesting, is there a photo perhaps?

• boimre1972boimre1972 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭

I always wonder how TPG tell the difference between well done counterfeits and the real things.

PS: mt_msla, hope all is well in Missoula--I lived there for three years in the late 90s. Great place!

Mike
    Collecting small-size star notes.
    Mishawaka, IN
  • mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

@boimre1972 well hey there! Small world huh :) yes things are good. No snow yet.
    @synchr if you were requesting a photo from me, no I don't have one. The police seized the bill and went after the one who passed it. I was able to deduce who had passed it from due diligence on my job. From there, I don't know what happened.

The paper was just standard copy paper that had been worn, wrinkled, and dirtied up. The reverse of the bill was upside down. :D And I could tell from the front of the bill it was bad. It was just a bad counterfeit....if you'd glanced at it for five seconds anyone could have seen it was wrong. It felt wrong as well.

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

The local gas station by my house has recently taken in three counterfeits.....$10 and $20's. Another gas station I use once in a while to play lottery received a counterfeit $20. She was nice enough to let me examine it.