Home Sports Talk

Time for Pujols to retire?

DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Albert is really starting to drag down his career numbers. I believe his batting avg. with the Cardinals was around .330,
in his years with LA he has hit .262, bringing the career avg down to .305. He had a negative WAR this year. His OBP
was .286, SLG was .386, 10 years ago these numbers for Pujols would be unfathomable.

His skills have eroded badly with age,
in my opinion its time to retire, but he may want to hang on to get 3,000 hits.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

Comments

• sportscardstopsportscardstop Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

He will get to 700 HRs before he retires.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just shows you how great he was at his peak. The last 4 years in his decline he has averaged 30 hrs and 106 rbi's per year.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

even though his skill has eroded there is liable to be some foolish franchise which will pay him to sit on the bench as a DH. for that reason he is relegated to the AL and as long as he gets paid he'll keep playing. if he had any sense of grace he would retire.

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm......retire or make $114 million over the next 4 years. He's not going anywhere.

Daniel
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

and the Angels wonder what they can do to advance!! maybe dump that money and hit the Free Agent market to buy serviceable players who can push them to the next level.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to mention he potentially could be 5 years older than what his age is listed at

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Soon he will be the highest paid "assistant to the General Manager" in history

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    Hmmm......retire or make $114 million over the next 4 years. He's not going anywhere.

Wow, I didn't know he had that many years left on his contract. I guess you're right, but
    I kind of wish he would retire before his numbers decline anymore.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as he doesn't get hurt and miss a large number of games, he's a lock to reach 3,000 hits and 2,000 RBIs in 2018.

That's reason enough for him to play at least one more year.

Steve

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pujols was terrible this year. As was said earlier, he very well could be in his early 40's.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    Pujols was terrible this year.

Yes, he was. Just terrible. If nothing else, my hope is that people will recognize that having 100 RBI does not mean that a player wasn't terrible. Hitting .300 does not mean that a player wasn't terrible. Hitting 30 HR does not mean that a player wasn't terrible.....

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2017 6:09PM

Terrible year but he ain't retiring anytime soon. He's well into his old man years but he has a fat contract

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Terrible year but he ain't retiring anytime soon. He's well into his old man years but he has a fat contract

True. There are very few things that I would not do for $25 million, and playing baseball is not one of them. The "he should retire" line of thinking made a lot more sense when players like Gibson and Marichal were hanging on making $100K or whatever. Nobody has ever retired with years remaining on an 8 figure contract, and I doubt anyone ever will.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.