Home Q & A Forum
Options

Where can I buy old coins online?

I'm new to coin collecting and I don't want it to be a company that's selling them

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2017 3:35PM

Ebay, Craig's list. Better to go to a local coin dealer and establish a relationship. Don't be in too big a rush to buy coins or you will learn some hard lessons while loosing money.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ibuycoinsoffebay said:
    I'm new to coin collecting and I don't want it to be a company that's selling them

Why not?

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

What sort of coins are you looking for?
    You could check out the buy-sell-trade section here.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    sarikanairsarikanair Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

There are many websites where you can buy old coins. Most collectors buy coins from eBay. However, the problem with eBay is that pricing of coins is sometimes higher than its market value. This is because the seller quotes the price. If you are a beginner, it is always better to ask an expert before buying any coin online. You could otherwise go to authentic online auction houses where you can buy coins by bidding for them!

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

The prices on eBay are also higher because eBay costs the sellers somewhere from 9%-12% of the total value, which eats up a lot of the dealer's profit margin on a typical coin. Many hundreds of dealers in the U.S. and worldwide, however, have their own websites with coins for sale, many of them at prices lower than they can afford to post on eBay. And the prices are fixed, you are not competing with other bidders like at the big auction houses.

Support Independent Coin Dealers!

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

kkathyl0 on ebay is pretty good

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Ibuycoinsoffebay;
    There is a thread over in U.S. Coins forum about a continuous want list. I have bought quite a few from them and I've sold over 50 coins there. I look at the number of posts to decide whether I want to do business with them or not. I then go and check their profile, How many likes, dislikes, agree, disagree etc. I never considered whether they were a business or individual, I just wanted the best deal I could find. Ebay skims too much off the top which means I'm going to pay 12 to 13 % for no benefit to me. I would rather buy here where I at least feel these people are knowledgeable and professional versus Ebay where counterfeit coins, scams , and deplorable "dealers" abound. I especially trust those that have a presence in both places like Kkathyl or Ricko just to name a few.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about going to a coin show in your area and tell vendors what you are interested in. You just might find what you are looking for. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall