Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is this 1921 1 Franc worth grading ?

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does PCGS certify chamber of commerce "good for" tokens?

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2017 12:56PM

SCWC says the nicest one in the world is worth nine or ten dollars (and try and find a buyer at that price). 54 million coins struck in this year.

By the end of the First a World War, the French Franc had lost ninety percent of its prewar value and France had to switch from a decent silver coin to this brass coin. This type was struck 1920-1927. It is very very common as a type coin.

All of the coin catalogs I've ever seen include this as a 'coin' despite the words "good for". I think the French government was trying to hold out to the people the vain hope that this brass might be redeemed for something better at a later date (after they had made Germany "pay for the War").

Proceed accordingly with your grading plans.

• Options
    WatchbelieveWatchbelieve Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Thanks Bill

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2017 4:26PM

@TomB said:
    Does PCGS certify chamber of commerce "good for" tokens?

NGC does. And, I do believe (as mentioned above) they are coins not tokens despite the verbiage so I'd guess PCGS does too. edited to add: my brain kicked in. I have seen these in PCGS slabs too.

As for 'worth' that can be a bit subjective. These are not super valuable and found gem. The grading fees are not likely to increase it's or even 'make back' the cost of slabbing if I had to guess. That said, if you like it and want a slabbed set it is a nice example.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I have seen these in high grade (MS) for decent money, but that is what is being asked -not sure what people will actually pay.

I always liked these and would love to get some slabbed versions, but I'll let someone else pay the fees.

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

It certainly depends why you would want to slab the coin. I don't think slabbing will increase its value, but it sure will protect it from all the bumps and bruises that come over time.

Paul
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pmac said:
    It certainly depends why you would want to slab the coin. I don't think slabbing will increase its value, but it sure will protect it from all the bumps and bruises that come over time.

Yeah, lots of smart people spend $20 or $32 to slab a $2 coin.

A properly fitted brand new Air-tite would be more than sufficient at a cost of about one dollar.