Home Sports Talk
Options

Will at least one 9 inning MLB postseason game exceed 4 hours?

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2, 2017 2:53PM in Sports Talk

I'll guess yes.

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Went to the Twins Tigers game the other night took 3 mind numbing hours to play 6 innings. I am now for putting a clock on the pitchers and batters to play ball.

Also, every pitching change doesn't need to give the entire crowd enough time to got to the bathroom AND the concession stand.

Lastly, $70.00 for a basic hooded sweatshirt.

Doubt that I'll see another game in person ever!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's possible that 4 innings could take 9 hours in the post season

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

if david price is pitching

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

They need to have full contact Baseball! Tackle the base runner and he is out. Maybe then it wouldn't be so boring. :oB)

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will say no.

as for an average game lasting long, a common complaint here, I don't see it as a problem since I watch MLB to relax in the first place. to me, the "hurry up" crowd is just a reflection of the present day pace of life dictated by technology. everywhere I go and everyone I see seems to have a need to speed things up and be constantly in touch and aware of everything that might be going on. what actually bugs the crap out of me when I'm watching a game is the constant scrolling of scores and information not relevant to the game I'm watching. all it does is shrink the screen a little and distract me with movement I don't need.

and if you think I'm off-base about the technology, just leave your cell phone at home for a day: I'm wagering that most of you shudder to think of such a thing and really, really believe you couldn't exist without a cell phone.

now, an internet connection, that's another topic!! :)

back to baseball, I think a lot of the slowness is brought on by individual players and managers. do these guys really need to step out and tighten their golf glove after every pitch?? are three lobs over to first base really necessary just to keep the slowest player on the field one step closer to the bag??? when the pitcher is in a tight spot, does it really serve any purpose to stare down the batter till he call for "time" and steps out?? I think all those things are stupid, but that's just the game that enjoy taking place.

if you want to see a pitcher who works fast and speeds up the game wait till Josh Tomlin takes the mound for the Indians. he starts to get ready for the next pitch as soon as he gets the ball back from the catcher, the guy is a fast worker.

• Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

@keets said:

I will say no.

as for an average game lasting long, a common complaint here, I don't see it as a problem since I watch MLB to relax in the first place. to me, the "hurry up" crowd is just a reflection of the present day pace of life dictated by technology. everywhere I go and everyone I see seems to have a need to speed things up and be constantly in touch and aware of everything that might be going on. what actually bugs the crap out of me when I'm watching a game is the constant scrolling of scores and information not relevant to the game I'm watching. all it does is shrink the screen a little and distract me with movement I don't need.

and if you think I'm off-base about the technology, just leave your cell phone at home for a day: I'm wagering that most of you shudder to think of such a thing and really, really believe you couldn't exist without a cell phone.

now, an internet connection, that's another topic!! :)

back to baseball, I think a lot of the slowness is brought on by individual players and managers. do these guys really need to step out and tighten their golf glove after every pitch?? are three lobs over to first base really necessary just to keep the slowest player on the field one step closer to the bag??? when the pitcher is in a tight spot, does it really serve any purpose to stare down the batter till he call for "time" and steps out?? I think all those things are stupid, but that's just the game that enjoy taking place.

if you want to see a pitcher who works fast and speeds up the game wait till Josh Tomlin takes the mound for the Indians. he starts to get ready for the next pitch as soon as he gets the ball back from the catcher, the guy is a fast worker.

Its quite hard not checking your fantasy team on your phone while you are at a game.

• Options

I use the alarm on my cell phone to wake me up every 20 minutes while at a game. Therefore I have to bring it

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

This first inning of the Twins-Yankees game might take 4 hours

m

• Options

@keets

1968 World series game seven lasted about 2 hours and 7 minutes if memory serves. Plenty of action and no snoozing. You like endless commercial breaks to snooze, all good. I don't have the patience.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    @keets

1968 World series game seven lasted about 2 hours and 7 minutes if memory serves. Plenty of action and no snoozing. You like endless commercial breaks to snooze, all good. I don't have the patience.

Back then the commercials revolved around the game , now its the opposite , and the players weren't primping and preening for the cameras they just played

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Middle of the 4th in the AL wildcard game and I just turned it on. I think it has been on almost two hours already. This one has a decent chance at 4 hours.

• Options

Did this game start at 8 eastern...or close to it?

They will need a fifth and seventh inning stretch.

• Options
    edited October 3, 2017 7:07PM

I'm guesssing first pitch would have been around 8:10 ET. Someone can confirm. If so, right at 2 hours now.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably. Most likely will see one game with an extended rain delay. Fall weather is known for rain.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Judge. Two run bullet. 7-4 NYY bot 4

• Options
    edited October 3, 2017 7:17PM

@cecropiamoth said:
    I'm guesssing first pitch would have been around 8:10 ET. Someone can confirm. If so, right at 2 hours now.

They teed of at 8:09pm. They won't make the turn in 2 hours. We need better marshalls to speed them along

m

• Options
    edited October 3, 2017 7:17PM

@Justacommeman said:

@cecropiamoth said:

8:09pm.

m

So game 7 of the 68' series would be over right about now.

Lolich worked quick!

• Options

Whoa, the pace is quickening. A mere 2:22 through 5 innings. Gotta take the under on 4 hours now.

• Options

Sanchez impressively shakes off a near direct nut shot.

• Options

Going to be close....

• Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Chapman has been lights out in September.

• Options

Nice win. Great bullpen work. Judge was the man

• Options

3:52 ouch

Ridiculous

mark

• Options

Made it to midnight...that is admirable.

• Options

I went to bed after the Judge jack, a sweet swing and a liner that might have been 30' off the ground. we'll see if the Cleveland pitchers insist on "grooving pitches to this guy, it makes no sense to do so but pitchers did it all September. I recall laughing to myself that this game would be over four hours.

neither manager showed much faith in their starter. if Girardi thinks he can make it through the playoffs with his BP he is in for a surprise.

• Options

I think all Girardi wants is 5-6 innings from his starters and then turn it over to his bullpen. He is probably also think with Judge healthy and on track again, that the offense has a different dynamic. If you don't "groove" it to Judge and walk him, Sanchez had 33 hr's this year

• Options

5-6 innings in a playoff game is all any Team really wants, taking out a starter after only 5-6 batters is ridiculous. I mean, it isn't like Severino is the same as a BP guy who could come back in a day or two, he just wasted the guy till Sunday at the earliest. it seems common knowledge that sometimes the first inning for a starter is the worst, I think he should have let him pitch through it, but the Team won and that's what really counts about the decision.

• Options

I thought Girardi did a masterful job. The game was about to get away from them. If Severino is bad in inning 1, he usually has an off game. If it was a 5 game playoff, he would have stuck with Severino. In a 1 game wild card, you have to take him out.

I don't agree with the Indians going with Bauer then Kluber. Seems stupid to me. The Yanks probably go with Gray then Tanaka

• Options

Wow, another WC game within 10 minutes of four hours!

• Options

Looks like they just missed tonight by a couple of minutes.

8 and a half innings takes 4 hours. Jeez, MLB has a problem.

• Options

Tonight's game 3:55

Getting closer

M

• Options

Despite the length of the games, if the first two are any indication, we're in for a cracking postseason.

• Options

an 11-8 game is usually going to be long no matter what era. there was plenty of action going on last night to keep people watching unless they couldn't get the game like me!!! I wish I could have seen that pitcher legging out a triple.

I wonder if the Indians will bunt against the Yankees when Sabathia pitches??? if I was Francona I'd have Lindor working on that and have him lay one down to start out game two, get into CC's head, set up camp and never leave. what a headcase!!

how much of the time constraint do you think is controlled by advertising??

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    an 11-8 game is usually going to be long no matter what era. there was plenty of action going on last night to keep people watching unless they couldn't get the game like me!!! I wish I could have seen that pitcher legging out a triple.

He looked like he was used to hitting them and pulled off a nifty slide and pop up into third.

• Options

@keets said:

I wonder if the Indians will bunt against the Yankees when Sabathia pitches??? if I was Francona I'd have Lindor working on that and have him lay one down to start out game two, get into CC's head, set up camp and never leave. what a headcase!!

Sort of the double whammy as the game was only available on cable and the advertising was excessive. Should really be one or the other, but to cover $40,000,000 salaries the consumer gets nailed both ways.

I suppose that baseball fans have gotten used to doing something else while watching the long games. Search for coins on Ebay maybe or read a magazine (digital or maybe even a real one).

Both games would have exceeded four hours if the home team had batted in the ninth inning.

• Options
    edited October 5, 2017 8:29AM

@Coinstartled said:

@keets said:

Sort of the double whammy as the game was only available on cable and the advertising was excessive. Should really be one or the other, but to cover $40,000,000 salaries the consumer gets nailed both ways.

I suppose that baseball fans have gotten used to doing something else while watching the long games. Search for coins on Ebay maybe or read a magazine (digital or maybe even a real one).

Both games would have exceeded four hours if the home team had batted in the ninth inning.

I started War and Peace during the Yankees-Twins game and finished it the 8th inning of Rockies- Dbacks game. Good read

Another way of looking at it is the majority of the field at a marathon finishes in well under 4 hours. I'm not even taking about the elite athletes who finish in under 2:30. I'm talking about weekend warriors

m

• Options

by the 6th inning a hockey or basketball game is over and football by the 7th , multiply that by 162 :s:s

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

@keets said:

I started War and Peace during the Yankees-Twins game and finished it the 8th inning of Rockies- Dbacks game. Good read

Another way of looking at it is the majority of the field at a marathon finishes in well under 4 hours. I'm not even taking about the elite athletes who finish in under 2:30. I'm talking about weekend warriors

m

Secretariat could have circled the Belmont track 96 times!

• Options

Houston/Boston took 4 hours as noted in the newspaper box score.

Not an over.....but close.

• Options

The Indians- Yankees game went 3:49 for 9 innings. All games are an hour too long. Serious issue.

We went to see Blade Runner 2049 last night so I missed the end of the Yankee-Tribe game which I had 3:30 minutes invested into it. FYI the movie was GREAT but is took 2:40 minutes. That would be quick for a baseball game but too long for a movie. However, come to think of it I could have watched this movie and caught the last 3 or 4 innings of a baseball game. Insane

m

• Options

Once the players union realizes that each team is really playing a double header each night, the contract demands will go through the roof.

• Options
    edited October 9, 2017 2:52PM

Ahaaa, 4:07 on the Boston - Astros game.

Don't believe that there was a weather delay.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Ahaaa, 4:07 on the Boston - Astros game.

Don't believe that there was a weather delay.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger I suppose

m

• Options
    edited October 12, 2017 9:26PM

Nationals-Cubs could go 5 hours. Well, close anyway.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Nationals-Cubs could go 5 hours. Well, close anyway.

Yeah this is nuts. I normally don't really care how long games go, but this is the first time that a game has made me agree that something is wrong.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2017 9:57PM

It started 15 minutes before the Thursday Night Football game and finished a good hour afterwords. Nuts

m

• Options
    edited October 12, 2017 10:11PM

4:37

Looked up the 30-3 Rangers over Orioles game from 2007 with 38 hits.

That game took 3 hours and 21 minutes.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    The Indians- Yankees game went 3:49 for 9 innings. All games are an hour too long. Serious issue.

We went to see Blade Runner 2049 last night so I missed the end of the Yankee-Tribe game which I had 3:30 minutes invested into it. FYI the movie was GREAT but is took 2:40 minutes. That would be quick for a baseball game but too long for a movie. However, come to think of it I could have watched this movie and caught the last 3 or 4 innings of a baseball game. Insane

m

Saw Blade Runner 2049 as well. Agree movie was too long, first 2/3 of movie was very boring. I don't need non-stop action, but I told the wife it seemed like the actors and director were all stoned out of their minds NOTHING was happening!

First Blade Runner is a classic. Tough to live up to the original.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2017 9:19PM

3:46

They were wise to get rid of the 4 pitch intentional walk rule as that held the game to a reasonable length.

:)

• Options
    edited October 27, 2017 9:36PM

@Coinstartled said:
    3:46

They were wise to get rid of the 4 pitch intentional walk rule as that held the game to a reasonable length.

:)

I removed my LOL after the edit as it's now not as funny :D

m