Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

When viewing registry sets . . . . .

what does "upgraded" mean when there are no apparent changes to the set?

I like to view sets for a quick way to see if any new top pops were graded recently.

Comments

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes collectors will "Upgrade" a coin with a coin in the same grade, as not all coins are identical.

Later, Paul.
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also happens when the point value changes. Like a pop 1/0 becomes a pop 2/0. No actual set changes, but the set points change.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭

Thanks for your replies.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

sometimes I think it is a 2017 which have not been officially counted as required yet.

• TopoftheHillTopoftheHill Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

@dbldie55 said:
    Also happens when the point value changes. Like a pop 1/0 becomes a pop 2/0. No actual set changes, but the set points change.

Gee, if a pop 1/0 becomes a 2/0...that sounds like a "downgrade" to me. I would hope PCGS would come up with something other than "upgrade" to describe this event.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps "update" would be a better descriptor :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TopoftheHill said:

@dbldie55 said:

Gee, if a pop 1/0 becomes a 2/0...that sounds like a "downgrade" to me. I would hope PCGS would come up with something other than "upgrade" to describe this event.

I don't think that the pop counts causes any change to the set as you look at it.

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    I don't think that the pop counts causes any change to the set as you look at it.

It does affect the set's rating, however, because of the added bonus 1/0 gives the point score. So, they do a revised version which you can see on that "Revision History" accessed off of the set composite page.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mvs7 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

It does affect the set's rating, however, because of the added bonus 1/0 gives the point score. So, they do a revised version which you can see on that "Revision History" accessed off of the set composite page.

Yes, it would affect ratings, but would not cause a flag in the left hand column.

• robecrobec Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've actually downgraded certain coins in a Registry and have the label "Upgraded" show up.

I think updated would be a better term.

• AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    Perhaps "update" would be a better descriptor :smile:

I believe they already have this feature.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's what I find funny about it also! Loose a POP 1 and your score drops but says it is upgraded!

@TopoftheHill said:

@dbldie55 said: