Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Overdate British George III shilling

Perhaps the other contributors can help me out on this one, which was sold to me as a British 1819/8 overdate shilling.
When I compare it to the best examples on the PCGS website, they all seem to have an 8 protruding underneath the lower right hand side of the 9 on the date. This one does not appear to have that, but there DOES appear to be something underneath the top loop of the 9, on the inside of it. There has been an 1819/6 overdate set up on the PCGS census, but that website does not show a picture of it.
The only number that makes sense as being overdated,is a six, that is, 1819/6.
Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't really help with that variety, but can say that's a nice coin! :)

• Options
    RMWRMW Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Thanks Asheland, although the picture, coming from a JPEG from the seller, is photo enhanced a bit. It would almost certainly grade as an MS 64 or 65 in my opinion.

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Notice how George's eye seems to bulge. I wonder if this had any connection to his medical issues?

The coin itself looks quite nice. So far as the overdate question goes, I'm afraid I can't contribute anything.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Thanks very much JCM. I have seen this website before and am very impressed.
    I would appreciate a pm of a larger image of the obverse if/ when you can, but from what I see this piece is similar to others I have seen, for example, on the PCGS website.
    Specifically you can see the underdate 8 to the right of the 9 on its lower half. My piece does not show that , but there may be a trace of a different underdate on the inside of the loop of the 9 at the top right hand corner. If it is anything, it might be the ball at the top end of the number 6.
    That variety has been noted on PCGS but that website does not show a picture.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Notice how George's eye seems to bulge. I wonder if this had any connection to his medical issues?

The coin itself looks quite nice. So far as the overdate question goes, I'm afraid I can't contribute anything.

Probably an idealistic portrait, unlikely that it was from life.

I believe that it is recorded that the King had a long white beard the last several years of his life as it was almost impossible to shave him. I believe that he was rarely seen outside of his private apartments in Windsor. The income given to the King and Queen was very greatly reduced and given instead to the Prince Regent. The Queen died in 1818.

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭

Note that Spink also says there is a 1819/6 as well as the 1819/8. the entry simply says "Exists", but I've never seen a picture of one.

• Options

PCGS has a 9/6 in their census , in Mint state, on their website but do not show a picture

• Options

Ive had a look at what a regular 6 looks like for this type. I dont think the underdate is an 8 as it ends abruptly underneath the loop of the 9, rather than continuing as an 8 would.
    And Ive had a look at what a regular six looks like for this type.
    I think now that this piece is an 1819/6.