Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Looking for a 1958 Franklin half for Birth-year set & have a question

DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 26, 2017 7:45AM in Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

I'm considering buying a 1958 Franklin as part of putting together a birth-year set as a gift. Not looking for high-end slab or proof, etc - - just one that looks nice in general.

Looking on eBay, I see quite a few in a moderate price range (under $10 + shipping for now) that are more worn or dull than I'd like.

But then I see a nice, detailed, shiny one from a top-rated seller with over 39k deals with a 99.8% positive feedback (with maybe a dozen responded-to negs) for under $10 (plus shipping) with no nibbles with just a few hours to go.

What would explain this?

Thanks!

(Edited to add: A lot of his listings are "Estate Finds", if that matters)

Comments

• Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

looking at sold ebay listing for a 1958 franklin....seems like you could get a decent one for $20 or so

• Options

So why is this sitting unclaimed for $9 + shipping with under an hr to go? Something I'm missing about the coin (cleaned?) or the seller?

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

without a link, no idea. Maybe people are waiting to snipe it, maybe it's cleaned. Many Franklins aren't worth more than junk silver price, and a $9 you are already at 18x face value before the shipping charge, much more than you can get a nice 'junker' for.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    edited September 26, 2017 8:47AM

That was my thinking as well, although would like one a bit better than a "junker". However, so many of what I'm seeing on eBay are WAY more than $9 for starters or after bidding in worse condition, so why is that the case if a common date that often not worth more than "junk silver"? That's what's confusing. Maybe I'll sit this one out & look around further/local, or see if goes unsold & offered again later when I can investigate more. Thx!

• Options

When I get home I'll see if I have a nice '58 somewhere. I'm pretty sure I do...

• Options

@DBSTrader2 said:
    That was my thinking as well, although would like one a bit better than a "junker". However, so many of what I'm seeing on eBay are WAY more than $9 for starters or after bidding in worse condition, so why is that the case if a common date that often not worth more than "junk silver"? That's what's confusing. Maybe I'll sit this one out & look around further/local, or see if goes unsold & offered again later when I can investigate more. Thx!

Uncirculated ones will sell for more than 'junk silver' price. I can't explain why people on ebay would bid more than about 13x face or so for circulated ones, especially when shipping is involved. I can usually find some nice AU ones in my local shop's 90% stuff. It looks like some decent ones out there for OK but also some that are a bit overpriced. Can you post a link to the auction you were referencing?

Any interest in this one that I have? First pics show the actual color a little better, second pics for detail. I'm working with a pretty crappy camera here so bear with me.

• Options

Sorry, ChrisH821........ I was off the Internet for much of yesterday & today & just saw your posts above. The one you posted pics of looks more than good enough for my purposes.

I happened to be looking at "D" mint-marks (no specific reason) while on eBay, and, checking the price guides, I am surprised to see them listed in all grades the same as the "P" mint-mark, which had only 1/5 the number minted as the "D".

What would you ask for the one pictured?

• Dave
  • Options

Sent you a PM