Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Need help identifying medal

I recently got this medal with some coins it appears to be a saint Benedicts medal, however I haven't been able to identify what year or what kind it is if that makes sense.. all other examples I've seen have writing next to the figure and the cross isn't flat at the ends I appreciate any information that can be given to help better identifying it, thank you -DAJ

Comments

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2017 12:55AM

I'd strongly agree that you have the correct Saint, but can't add much more right now.

I myself always start with Google Images and there are dozens of these pictured there. Most have writing on the sides of the Saint, but some do not.

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2017 9:41AM

What's the size and was there a mount that was removed? You don't mention the metal, but it looks like it was made of some sort of plate base metal,

Here is a wiki link based on the CSPB on the reverse: http://www.osb.org/gen/medal.html

You'll get a number of hits if you search for "Order of Saint Benedict"

My guess is this is a medal/charm that is sold in religious stores. Doesn't really fit with any "official" Vatican/Papal produced medal but likely made by any of a number of private medal manufacturers. .

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Thanks you! I didn't remove the mount but it appears to have had one, it's the size of a dime.. and I agree it seems to be modern and non official

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it could be late 19th to early 20th century, based on the appearance and style of it. So while basically modern, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a century old or so.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:
    Looks like it could be late 19th to early 20th century, based on the appearance and style of it. So while basically modern, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a century old or so.

Anything is possible, but not likely IMHO. Religious medals/charms often retain very anachronistic designs so style probably isn't a good indicator of age nor is its condition. According to a couple of sites online, the first St Benedict jubilee medal was struck in 1880 by the monks of Monte Cassino to mark the 1400th anniversary of the saints birth. Here is some more info about the significance of the medal or copies of it: https://stpeterslist.com/8-things-you-must-know-about-st-benedicts-medal

These are still being made in the same design and style by many companies today. For instance, if you search the online catalogue for "the Catholic Company" for St Benedict you'll find for sale a number of medals, pendants, jewelry, etc with basically the same design. This is just one company selling such items since. Looking at the images resulting from a google search of the "order of Saint Benedict" produces page after page of similar medals most of which seem to be for sale. My guess is that this was probably produced fairly recently. Still an interesting piece and, not being Catholic nor a collector of such items, one that I was not familiar with.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!