Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Boxes to rip for fun and possible profit

Hi, I have $500 in Ebay bucks coming for next month. Usually, I buy HOF rc's for my pc. However, this month I am thinking about having a little bit of fun without completely throwing the bucks away. Any suggestions of good boxes to buy that might be good hits for the money? I am open to any 1 box or 2 or 3 with about $600 max. Thanks for any input, Tom

Comments

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭

get some rack packs or wax trays.

seems 1978-1980 are plentiful

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2017 5:01PM

1983 Topps baseball box of 36 packs will run about $275. Three HOF rookies in that set.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Go modern and have some fun with current players. The 70-90's stuff has been played. Bust some modern Chrome or Finest or other and shoot for a big hit or two. Better than shooting for a totally boring 83 Gwynn PSA 9 etc.

Just don't do Panini, as it's like kneeling for the anthem.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Modern or vintage, you're still looking for the big hit. You could do that with scratch off tickets, too.

I'd go for the PSA 10 Gwynn RC. Much more exciting than the PSA 9..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

For fun: 2017 Topps Chrome Baseball. Great product with refractors and good hit potential.

For big hits: 2017 Panini Gold Standard Football. 1 pack, seven cards, about $180 per box. Look for Kareem Hunt and other hot RCs. I prefer to look for big hits as opposed to a ton of small ones.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/smart-living/panoramic-photos-that-went-horribly-wrong-with-hilarious-results/ss-AAsgrhK?li=BBnbfcL

just an interlude post without any even close to the point meaning for this thread. it's quite funny :smiley:

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

If going modern definitely go for Mike Trouts' rookie card, whatever year it is.
    They always talk about the next Mickey Mantle coming along some day, well he's here.

If older I like the idea of 1978 baseball rack packs. They seem like a bargain
    to me compared to 76, 77, or even 79 racks.

• Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Are the racks safe bets to purchase? With so many people on here seemingly knowing about sequencing, is there a way for someone to tell that a rack should not contain a 78 Murray or Molitor?

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lightningboy said:
    With so many people on here seemingly knowing about sequencing, is there a way for someone to tell that a rack should not contain a 78 Murray or Molitor?

That's a whole new thread. Between sequencing and thumbing trough the packs, the odds of getting a good vintage rack pack are slim.

Daniel
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

2005 Upper Deck Hockey box would be a great choice. Chances at multiple future HOF RC's.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Modern boxes are a gamble. Avoid products with likely expired redemptions. I recommend just buy a few nice cards rather than box ripping. Just my opinion...

• Options

If you're going modern I would not buy single boxes off eBay unless from an established seller. Lots of sellers bust boxes then when they hit the case hit they sell off the others. Not saying you can't get a good card or quality but if I'm wanting to buy new shiny stuff I'm going straight to Blowout, DA, or the other usual suspects.

#CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I appreciate all the suggestions and information.