Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the market was softening, bro.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

PSA may catch flak for letting some cards slide into the "PSA 10" grade but that's one card, Dmitri Young Collection Rickey 10 notwithstanding, that they scrutinize the hell out of.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.

Really have nothing more to say - the person buying the card has plenty of "spare" dough to drop.

Mike
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Check out the bidder with 7 feedback

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

Isn't this standard? This card has been consistently selling for about $30K since 2015.

It is a great card that takes me back to my childhood. A nice PSA 9 for $600 - $800 seems like a better buy, though.

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

It has been trending around $30K. sale for $38 in Feb and $20 in July; but averaging around $30K. Demand looks very strong for that card. Also consider the '80 unopened that recently sold in Chicago for a steep price; assume it's all based on the Hendo because the rest of the set seems to be draggin.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options

@CW said:
    Isn't this standard? This card has been consistently selling for about $30K since 2015.

It is a great card that takes me back to my childhood. A nice PSA 9 for $600 - $800 seems like a better buy, though.

Have the 9s dropped that much? I see many have ended in the $300-$400 range. Seems $350 is easily obtainable

• Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

Obviously a great card but is it me or is L/R and T/B centering good but not great? If I'm going to drop 30K on '80 card in better be DAMN perfect

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Yeah that 10 is not 30 K nice for me. It better be dead nuts centered for that cash and separate itself from others. 9 auctions have been reasonable 350 ish. BIN and best offer 9's aren't budging at around $425

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

ah, OK, I was a little off on my PSA 9 pricing.

• Options

I do like how PWCC calls it the RC of the decade...correct me if I am wrong but the "decade" is actually 1971 to 1980 while the 80's "decade" goes 1981 - 1990.

Nice try PWCC but I would take a 71 Foster or Garvey RC in PSA 10 prior to the Rickey, just sayin', Ok, you wouldn't, ok, no biggie, how about a 72 Fisk, 73 Schmidt, or 75 Brett?

I realize I am mincing hairs here, however, I think it is a given that this is a tad bit over-marketed.

Aside from all that, the two lower backside corners would bug the crap out of me after making a small condo payment on this card.

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭

This one up for auction now is one of the best I have seen. Centering not perfect but good eye appeal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Topps-Rickey-Henderson-ROOKIE-RC-482-PSA-10-GEM-MINT-PWCC/142929715991?hash=item2147466317:g:tPEAAOSwD3JbkZg2

• Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Plenty of unopened out there still. Will this card one day be a pop 50 PSA 10? It could sell for $5,000 at that time.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a little late in the day for me to go "full Orwell" but the pop will never hit 50. It's good for people to constantly be chasing elusive, high-dollar low-pop grades. It keeps the submissions rolling in and makes the rare occurrence when one does hit an "event."

Arthur

• Options
    edited September 15, 2018 3:37PM

Never mind.

• Options

@JWBlue said:
    What does everyone think of the back lower right corner? I see a little white there.

I don't see anything that would keep it out of a PSA 10 holder.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭

@JWBlue said:
    This one up for auction now is one of the best I have seen. Centering not perfect but good eye appeal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Topps-Rickey-Henderson-ROOKIE-RC-482-PSA-10-GEM-MINT-PWCC/142929715991?hash=item2147466317:g:tPEAAOSwD3JbkZg2

If a 10 with borderline centering like that is one of the best you've seen, I gather you haven't seen that many.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

Did print order allow for any Rickey Henderson's to appear on the top of any 1980 rack packs?

• Options

@JWBlue said:
    Did print order allow for any Rickey Henderson's to appear on the top of any 1980 rack packs?

Yes, Henderson is from the B sheet so he should be located in section next to header card where cards from A & B sheets were inserted.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWBlue said:

Yep :)

Not to mention Timmy knows his stuff!

KC

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's one on ebay with the Henderson in the third cell farthest away from header card.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

@Darin said:
    There's one on ebay with the Henderson in the third cell farthest away from header card.

I wouldn't bid on that one.

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Not only would I not bid on it, I wouldn't even look at it--it is even painful just to look at it as it looks like the cards are wrapped in saran wrap and the Rickey looks like it was sitting in someone's back pocket for years--just atrocious :o

• Options

How do people make resealed rack packs? Seems impossible to open one up and make it look like it has not been tampered with.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mikelowell25 said:
    Not only would I not bid on it, I wouldn't even look at it--it is even painful just to look at it as it looks like the cards are wrapped in saran wrap and the Rickey looks like it was sitting in someone's back pocket for years--just atrocious :o

I noticed it looked a little beat up.LOL.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    kidzfundkidzfund Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Dang, that’s silly money.....

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

$7,000 drop in one year. Bummer.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭