Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Identify this coin?

TradernikTradernik Posts: 111 ✭✭
edited September 23, 2017 9:58PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

First of all, please forgive the pics. I know they're bad. If better ones are needed for positive ID I'll get them. The coin is tiny and the iPhone isn't cutting it. Can anyone identify this? It seems close to ones pictured here. I realize condition is everything and it can't be worth anything but I want my Dad to know what it is since he's been carrying it around for such a long time. Hopefully it's real. Thanks.

https://goo.gl/ZdnRxC

Comments

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2017 4:40PM

Western Kshatrapas, Rudrasimha I, (178 - 197 A.D.)

Worth about $20, and it's real.

They're pretty common.

• Thanks a lot for the info. Good to know it's real.

Fascinating that such an old coin could be so common.

Many ancients are common, you'd be surprised.

• I know that there's a premium for very collectible US coins, but I've always marvelled that I can buy a 2000 year-old world coin for a few bucks. I guess this is why. In what other area of collectibles could I own something so old for so relatively little. As a coin noob who has spent the past few months immersed in US coins, I feel like world coins might hold more for me.

My dad's a little disappointed but I told him I'll go through the other 500 coins he accumulated in his travels as a UNDP guy. Maybe there's something cool in there. New Guinea, anyone?

Yes, it is fun. Plus with ancients, rules applied to moderns, especially U.S., are not as strict.

All ancients have been cleaned, and many ancient collectors like to hold them. That's why most shun slabbing. I do myself.

As for regular world coins. I collect them on a regular basis too. Too many to enjoy.

U.S. coins are fine for some, but they get boring, expensive and after awhile repetitive. And for me, too many rules.