Home Q & A Forum

Need help distinguishing between 'Hub' and 'Machine' doubling on US Roosevelt Dimes

Newbee here ... need some help telling the difference between 'hub' and 'machine' doubling. I am of the opinion that all of the coins below exhibit 'hub' doubling. It would be of great service to me for anyone to take the time to tell me which ones if any, I am wrong about. Thank you in advance

Answers

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2017 8:19AM

What you have asked would take a very long time to answer. I'll post some short thoughts and others will certainly add to it. It is often hard to tell characteristics we see on coins from images but you have provided some good ones! The 1946 looks like a DDO. While you are waiting for more answers I'll suggest you do some research on the Internet web sites: Hub doubled, Machine/Strike/Ejection Doubled, and doubled die.

Machine doubling is the most common doubling. It is due to "slop (movement)" from various factors when the coins are struck. The main difference between a doubled die and machine doubling is the flat shelf next to the raised relief. Doubled dies have the "extra" design virtually at the same height as the normal design. There is usually a notch at the point of separation if the doubling is not widely spread. Doubled dies and their cause is posted all over the place. Look it up. One place to check is the CONECA web site where most are listed.