Home Sports Talk

Aaron Hernandez had severe CTE. NFL & Pat's being sued

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 21, 2017 3:01PM in Sports Talk
Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yawn. She is just grasping for NFL money

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the family of Odin Lloyd should also sue the NFL >:)

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    Maybe the family of Odin Lloyd should also sue the NFL >:)

I was thinking the same thing. For sure they file as well

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone who lets their kids play football at this point probably has CTE themselves. I like football but if it gets shut down I'll just go outside and get some fresh air on a Sunday afternoon.

Oh my god here come the football is dangerous PC crowd

90% of this CTE stuff is all about former players wanting money from their former employers because they either spent their millions and are now broke or they missed the big paydays and want a piece of the pie.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭

Seems like need to sue University of Florida, his high school, pop warner, etc.... Sad and pathetic these lawsuits are.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2017 4:23PM

So the question here is if it is proven upon autopsy that Hernandez suffered from CTE, and that we as a society generally don't hold individuals with brain damage or mental illness criminally responsible for their actions, to what extent, if any, does this revelation affect the perception of Hernandez's actions in the court of public opinion?

I can foresee tackle football being banned or discontinued on various levels once the lawyers get involved and it is clinically proven that there is a direct correlation between playing football and brain damage via CTE. That said, as long as there are millions to be made playing professional football, no amount of risk will dissuade young men from impoverished backgrounds from playing the game.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@perkdog said:
    Oh my god here come the football is dangerous PC crowd

Never mind the CTE , I think it would be worth shutting down the NFL just to get rid of fantasy football. B)

Tim hopefully we never use this as an excuse for criminal activity because that's what it would be an "Excuse" just like people use drug addiction as an excuse for their criminal actions. This sideshow by Shyana is a last ditch effort at getting Hernandez Patriot money. Now I don't doubt that concussion syndrome doesn't exist I just don't buy that if you play football you will get it and will be entitled to automatic compensation and a free pass to do illegal stuff, basically that's where the PC crowd is going with this. And to Bronco, if Fantasy Football got outlawed I would have a lot more money in my pockets lol

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure the former players with CTE that committed suicide were all just grasping for money as well.

The NFL actively worked to suppress the dangers of repeated concussions from players and fans. Similar to how another industry (tobacco) mislead the public and their users about the dangers of their product. Players and fans have a right to know the dangers of the sport they participate in/watch. Armed with that knowledge they get to make an informed decision. At this point the link between repeated head trauma and CTE is well known and if a player still wants to be in the NFL he at least knows what risk he is taking.

Perkdog while there are certainly cases of money grabs you are woefully ignorant saying it 90% of CTE "stuff" is simply a money grab by former players. But I've noticed that folks that use the derogatory "PC" argument tend not to like have their preconceptions challenged.

Robb

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2017 4:50AM

Anyone who lets their kids play football at this point probably has CTE themselves

that one is laugh-out-loud funny!! it also has a high degree of truth attached to it and I suppose many parents are re-evaluating that decision. I predict a gradual migration away from "contact" sports.

I also think that perkdog may be suffering CTE or else, well, I won't go there. anyone who doesn't realize the health risk and deterioration caused by Football has their head in the sand. it has nothing whatsoever to do with being PC. consider......................these athletes have the best diet, the best health-care, they are the most physically fit men on the planet and enjoy benefits many of us only dream about. why do so many suffer debilitating afflictions as the enter "middle age" and die prematurely??

think about it.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2017 9:05AM

Anyone that ever denied the danger inherent in football is mistaken. Before though, it was just considered to be the joints, mostly in the legs. Of course pounding your head repeatedly causes significant damage which has been known by the game insiders for sometime and has in the last 5 or so years become public knowledge.

Problem is, Joe Theisman busts his leg, he doesn't grab a gun and take out an his neighbor. Best case in my mind of brain damage was Plaxico Burress entering NYC with a weapon. Automatic couple years in the slammer even if he hadn't shot himself.

Impossible to tell where football injury figures into a crime or doesn't. Plenty of NFL players involved in serious altercations, league would be wise to set aside a billion dollars for legal fees and settlements as the money will be needed.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭

Impossible to tell where football injury figures into a crime or doesn't. Plenty of NFL players involved in serious altercations, league would be wise to set aside a billion dollars for legal fees and settlements as the money will be needed.

BILLIONS! Agreed.

Fergie23 or Robb, why are there not more documented cases of suicide by former NFL players than there are now? And the numbers of suicides are not many at all in comparison to the amount of former and current NFL players there are. Back when there was no money in the NFL for the players they just rubbed the dirt off and moved along, now that it's a billion dollar industry it's a huge issue all of a sudden. I don't buy it and believe the media is a huge part of promoting this so called problem.

edited September 22, 2017 11:21AM

My son played JFL through high school. He played for me 1990- 2001. would not let him play today. No way no how. I love him too much. Many ex NFL players feel the same way.

mark

I find it so odd that people won't let their kids play today even though there are more safety precautions than ever with the helmets and rules regarding hitting. My Girl is letting her son actually be a boy and allowing him to play. It's a great sport and it's too bad the media and greed is ruining it for so many people.

edited September 22, 2017 12:13PM

I played, my son played. We are both 6ft 175. Too small. Too white. The game is faster. Kids are stronger. It's simple physics and it spells danger.

I flippin love the game.

m

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything has it's dangers. Look at smoking......proven to cause lung cancer. The ads they show on TV should be enough to make people not want to smoke! At least NFL players get paid millions for a possible shorter life. Whereas smokers pay huge sums of money to get cancer and die!

It all comes down to what you want to do with your life......doesn't it??? It's not like the players are not aware of the possibilities.

edited September 22, 2017 12:26PM

It's easy to say from the sofa. Ive had the fortune to watch a lot of college games from the field. Some NFL. It's crazy violent. The NFL needs further rules to protect the players or they will run out of players one day

Tom Brady commented that after each game it's like surviving a car crash

m

Keets just spell it out... Only Boston teams cheat, Football is all bad. Any other topics on your list? Let's say baseball is too dangerous and hockey too. While we are at it Basketball players should wear more protective gear! Let's go on a mission to save the world from itself!!!!!!!

edited September 22, 2017 12:49PM

@Justacommeman said:
    It's easy to say from the sofa. Ive had the fortune to watch a lot of college games from the field. Some NFL. It's crazy violent. The NFL needs further rules to protect the players or they will run out of players one day

Tom Brady commented that after each game it's like surviving a car crash

m

Mark - I completely understand what you are saying. I know it is a violent game. Bottom line is they know it too and chose to play.

All 4 sports are either already dead (hockey , baseball) or dying (football) , or irrelevant. Baseball (omg the unrelenting boredom ) and hockey ( great another shutout tie game) were suicides , football will be sued to death ( concussion death mush brain syndrome)and basketball ( more money in shoe contracts than salary and every player is a douchebag) is just embarrassing.

Also boxing is long dead , soccer is like watching paint dry (, literally more boring than baseball ) , UFC is the fakest thing I have ever seen (Vince McMahon is so jealous). Being a sports fan is no longer where I see myself 5 years from now.

Although the ESPN streaming app on Roku has a few hundred women's NCAA volleyball games listed that I might binge on.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    Although the ESPN streaming app on Roku has a few hundred women's NCAA volleyball games listed that I might binge on.

If they ever have any womens volleyball featuring the Dominican Republic, watch for Winifer Fernandez. It's a name worth looking up on YouTube as well.

@LarkinCollector said:

@bronco2078 said:

If they ever have any womens volleyball featuring the Dominican Republic, watch for Winifer Fernandez. It's a name worth looking up on YouTube as well.

I just duck duck go'ed ( since googling doesn't work anymore) that ...........Ay Carumba!!!!

• dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

@bronco2078 said:

butter face

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

i just think there is going to come a time when the quality of a life takes precedence over a superfluity of benjamins. perhaps i'm in the minority, but i'd much rather have my wits about me and not have a pot to piss in, as opposed to morphing into a turnip and not having the slightest ability to cognize seven figures on my bank statement.

@galaxy27 said:
    i just think there is going to come a time when the quality of a life takes precedence over a superfluity of benjamins. perhaps i'm in the minority, but i'd much rather have my wits about me and not have a pot to piss in, as opposed to morphing into a turnip and not having the slightest ability to cognize seven figures on my bank statement.

Everybody is different.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@galaxy27 said:

Everybody is different.

agree. except for tom brady, joe montana, johnny unitas, and tony romo. they're the same.

@DIMEMAN said:

@galaxy27 said:

Everybody is different.

You mean there are 2 kinds of people in this world those who want oatmeal for brains by the time they are 50 and those who don't

@DIMEMAN said:
    Everything has it's dangers. Look at smoking......proven to cause lung cancer. The ads they show on TV should be enough to make people not want to smoke! At least NFL players get paid millions for a possible shorter life. Whereas smokers pay huge sums of money to get cancer and die!

Great argument for why the NCAA should dump their draconian policy and allow college players to be financially compensated for their services. What good is the 4 year scholarship when your brain has become matzo meal?

Coin why don't you pass the hat around first to get a collection going for these college athletes? I mean a college education is peanuts right? Gimme a break, these kids get a free ride for an education and they should get paid on top of it?

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2017 5:42PM

The rules have been changed in an effort to protect players but there is also no question the players are bigger and faster today than they were decades ago and that the collisions are more violent than ever before.

The correlation between brain damage and playing tackle football is as strong as the correlation between lung cancer and smoking, IMO.

I support a player's right to assume these risks if he still wishes to play, but I can also foresee the pool of players being drawn from poorer and lower class backgrounds where options are limited vs kids from better backgrounds who choose other pursuits over playing football.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭

Football is more violent now. Athletes at every level are stronger, faster and hit harder.

At this point now that the risks are known players are making an informed choice so it is on them going forward. The NFL actively worked to suppress the dangers of repeated concussions. They were held accountable for that behavior by the concussion settlement for the class action lawsuit by former players. Whether or not they end up being accountable for the damage participating in their sport currently causes will be decided by the courts. However IMO the chances are pretty slim that Hernandez's case gets decided against the NFL.

Grote15 some people just can't accept that their preconceived notions are wrong. When presented with evidence that disproves their beliefs and/or opinions it actually strengthens them. It is a well research phenomenon. Providing people with facts that their opinion is actually wrong doesn't change their opinion, it makes them doubt the science or the people promoting the science.

Robb

@grote15 said:
    The rules have been changed in an effort to protect players but there is also no question the players are bigger and faster today than they were decades ago and that the collisions are more violent than ever before.

The correlation between brain damage and playing tackle football is as strong as the correlation between lung cancer and smoking, IMO.

I support a player's right to assume these risks if he still wishes to play, but I can also foresee the pool of players being drawn from poorer and lower class backgrounds where options are limited vs kids from better backgrounds who choose other pursuits over playing football.

Also everyone under the age of 25 is basically retarded when it comes to money and can't make good life long decisions where large sums of money are involved. Probably 90% of the college football players never make the nfl but could have CTE by the senior year from hits to the head. They may or may not get a useful degree , but as glick pointed out the college has made a ton of dough off of them and if they don't graduate they receive nothing at all . The guys that do make the NFL have the highest risk of injury of any sport and the worse monetary rewards of the big 4 sports . The super stars can get big contracts but absent signing bonuses or other guaranteed money run of the mill guys can be cut at any time. The have on average shorter careers than the other major sports also. The guys that have the highest level of talent get to stay in the league and get hit in the head longer. So longer career , equals more money but brain damage . Short career less brain damage but no money :*

So if I play 10 years and then come down with complications later on at age 50 , as a retired NFL guy do I have free world class healthcare? Or is it more like the VA when you try to convince them you got agent oranged .... they pat you on the head and say you are fine go home dummy .

@perkdog said:
    Coin why don't you pass the hat around first to get a collection going for these college athletes? I mean a college education is peanuts right? Gimme a break, these kids get a free ride for an education and they should get paid on top of it?

Reread my post, Perky. NCAA need only join the current century and allow compensation. The schools can openly compete for talent as they do with ten million dollar head coaches. A given school does not want to pay their athletes, that is fines as well. Maybe returning to academics is not such a bad thing.

The problem with paying student athletes is that it makes rooting for old Alumni U a bit trickier.

The old line graduates want to believe that the poor kid from the tough part of town is just like him, a dedicated student who also can run a football and has always dreamed of playing for his school.

It isn't that way though. With a few notable exceptions (Stanford and Northwestern come to mind), no academic consideration is given to admission. Mostly worthless degrees are bestowed on these young men who often leave pieces of tendon and ligament on the operating room floor.

The hypocrisy is lamentable and needs to be corrected.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

Same two responses I always have to this argument:

1) Not all players are on scholarship. Not even all starters.

2) If scholarships are such awesome ways to compensate people, why aren't the coaches paid in scholarships?

And there's also:

3) Can you take that scholarship to the movie theater and buy a ticket? No? Then it's not the same as being "compensated".

Tabe's last point especially rings true. As a student athlete at a major University there are not enough hours in a day to go class, practice and hold a part time job. So where does the pocket money come from? At the very least there needs to be a meaningful stipend in place.

mark

The shoes though, with the little swoosh, are comped!

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

You mean playing football is dangerous?

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

@Dave99B said:
    You mean playing football is dangerous?

Dave

Not for tv viewers , except maybe obesity

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Tabe's last point especially rings true. As a student athlete at a major University there are not enough hours in a day to go class, practice and hold a part time job. So where does the pocket money come from? At the very least there needs to be a meaningful stipend in place.

mark

In addition to that, there's a million rules in place, too. Kids on a music scholarship can play musical gigs on the weekend or give lessons to earn money. Athletes can't do that.

@Tabe said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

In addition to that, there's a million rules in place, too. Kids on a music scholarship can play musical gigs on the weekend or give lessons to earn money. Athletes can't do that.

And there are kids not on scholarship that have a demanding practicing schedule, class room and have to pay for school. They are up against it

m

Tough schedule? Not enough time for all of the college experience as a player athlete? Simple answer is don't play if you don't get a scholarship, pay these guys an allowance if need be, I'm ok with that but you really want to turn the NCAA into the NFL, NBA and MLB where most of the players are overpaid crybabies? Also throw away the pride, Pageantry and school spirit and ruin the college game.

@perkdog said:
    Tough schedule? Not enough time for all of the college experience as a player athlete? Simple answer is don't play if you don't get a scholarship, pay these guys an allowance if need be, I'm ok with that but you really want to turn the NCAA into the NFL, NBA and MLB where most of the players are overpaid crybabies? Also throw away the pride, Pageantry and school spirit and ruin the college game.

College game was ruined with the 7 figure coaching contracts. Harbaugh gets ten million dollars while his players heads are getting smashed into the ground. NCAA collusion is corrupt and should be ended. Olympics went pro a couple of decades ago and survived.