Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1980 Russian olympic medals

I was looking for some help identifying these Russian coins/medals. It looks like one set is uncirculated, the other set proof. I also believe they are 80-90% silver. The reverses have the same design, other than the amount 5 or 10 Ruble(?). The COA's are in French and English. Any help and/or history would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

According to the Standard Catalog, there were 14 5 Ruble and 14 10 Ruble coins issued for the 1980 Olympics. All are 90% silver. The 5 Rubles contain .4823 oz. and the 10 Rubles .9635 oz. They give the prices as $16.50 each for the 5s, same price for proof and uncirculated and $30.00 for the Proof 10s and $35 for the unc. 10s.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2017 6:27PM

I've got the whole 28 coin set in a reddish/maroon case .. maybe the case came when you bought each of the 5 series of the coins. I picked up my set for free from a friend for helping him offload lots of misc foreign silver. I think that the US didn't go to the '80 Olympics, so a good number of buyers for the set essentially got left out or desire/demand was greatly diminished

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the help! In researching, I found similar ones, but not the same events and packaging.

• Options
    RMWRMW Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Although they are beautiful Coins it may be that mintage is so great that they trade close to bullion price

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even during the strongest point of the Russian market they were hard to get much over melt for. I even let Heritage auction my Gold and Platinum Olympic sets and the net to me was around spot. :/