Home Q & A Forum
Options

Civil war era checks with Internal Revenue Stamps. $20 each ( negotiable )

oz_in_ohiooz_in_ohio Posts: 184 ✭✭
edited September 20, 2017 2:14PM in Q & A Forum

All checks dated in the 1800's...Some civil war era...

Bill of landing dated 1901.

Am selling off my collections and price is negotiable to an extent....

Any more than 4 items purchased, shipping will be free and will include tracking
for buyers protection and safety in the mail system.
Notice numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 , 26 , 28 , 29 , and 30 have already been sold so that is
why the pictures have been removed....

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect checks. I have many from the Civil War era. Checks from these dates are common from northern banks.

• Options

In all my years of collecting and dealing, the bidder or customer will say
    the items are common until they have purchased them for next to nothing
    and that is when they become rare...

If you don't need them, then don't buy them.

have a lovely and wonderful day

• Options
    edited September 20, 2017 8:03AM

@oz_in_ohio said:
    In all my years of collecting and dealing, the bidder or customer will say
    the items are common until they have purchased them for next to nothing
    and that is when they become rare...

If you don't need them, then don't buy them.

have a lovely and wonderful day

How anyone can take my statement: "I collect checks. I have many from the Civil War era. Checks from these dates are common from northern banks" as a put-down of your material (which was not posted at the time) is beyond me. While mostly true, I feel that your comment was directed at me.

First: I'm not your customer. I am forming a collection of checks (started in 1968) from all U.S. National Banks before 1900. It will NEVER be completed. Unfortunately, you have absolutely NOTHING I need or am remotely interested in. I also collect "Revenue Stamped Paper" as checks only. I only lack a few. Unfortunately, you don't have any of them either. :(

Second: I saw no one replied to your post and so I tried to give you a friendly heads-up as a fellow check collector. :)

Third: IMHO, your stuff is over-priced. :(

Forth: I try to get examples that are not folded, creased, dirty, or torn. :wink:

Good Luck with your sale! Have a lovely and wonderful life. :)

• Options

and you more than likely want to pay a nickel each like most collectors..

• Options
    edited September 20, 2017 10:04AM

@oz_in_ohio said: "...and you more than likely want to pay a nickel each like most collectors."

That's a good one! Made me smile. Yes, although you have nothing I want, I should buy them for a nickel each but you should know that those days are long over! :(

Most dealers want several bucks minimum for a nice check. Add something interesting to the check and prices go up dramatically. I've been given checks for free from dealers and have paid several hundred dollars for others. If I don't like the price, I pass. If a group of identical checks is too cheap, I'll buy them all for trade w/other collectors later.

As with coins, some dealers don't know what they have and give stuff away. Other dealers don't know what they have and put "stupid" prices on it to feel safe. Some dealers "know too much" and if you are impatient and buy from them you pay "full boat" and that boat don't float! I look for nice quality at a price that fits my budget.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

I kind of agree with insider2 here.