Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

This is what makes me insane about the grading cards game

These are both 5s. Where is the consistency? How can we all pretend that PSA knows best when we see things like this?

Comments

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

No way that top card gets a 5 these days. I firmly believe grading standards have gotten quite a bit more stringent over the years. Just from memory, I believe that's one of their very early holders and probably graded 15 years ago or better?

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭

buy the card ... not the holder!

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

I would be stunned if the top card was the original card in that holder, old holder or not.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

That could very well be a flip typing error.

Has happened in the past and will continue in the future.

Also, a mess of cert. numbers were deleted around that number which may be part of the problem?

Mike
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

I also think they would end around similar sales numbers at auction. I think many people buy the label without inspecting the card very well.

Although possible, I don't think likely. There's a better chance that the folks in the market for a 5 on that card would be a bit more judgmental on condition. Someone with VCP access could probably give examples of realized prices on 5's with old flips versus new flips and be able to see the range with regard to a lower realized price looking inferior to the stronger realized price.

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

@detroitfan2 said:
    I would be stunned if the top card was the original card in that holder, old holder or not.

100% agree. This is not a legit PSA card. Buyer beware.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

What really gets me is when I submit a modern/vintage mix and a noticeably worn card from the 60s will get a 5 and a card from 2000 with what has to be a microscopic surface scratch or undetectable crease will also get a 5 ¯_(ツ)_/¯

But that's just the grading game and I've learned to accept it.

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2017 11:38PM

I agree it is hard to believe that the top card is a legit 5. Either the card was swapped out or there was an error made on the label.

Steve
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2017 1:08AM

Ok, I'll ask the question............

Could the card in the OP be one of the dreaded "WIWAG" cards that is still floating around undetected?

IMHO, that card is no better than a 2(MC).

Steve

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:
    Ok, I'll ask the question............

Could the card in the OP be one of the dreaded "WIWAG" cards that is still floating around undetected?

IMHO, that card is no better than a 2(MC).

Steve

https://psacard.com/Articles/ArticleView/3741/card-fraud-update

• Options
    electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

i think the bottom card received a PSA 5 because it is O/C,sometimes PSA downgrades a card instead of giving it a qualifier.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's all take a step back and reflect on what an awesome card this is. Great design, great pic, great pose. The Mick taking one last run at greatness.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options

The top one looks like a lower-grade card that got switched-out and the bottom looks like a photoshop. The bottom one appears to have four sharp corners, solid edges, no print marks and 60/40 LR and 80/20 UD centering - that looks much better than PSA's description of a 5. If real, that should have been no worse than a 7 with an (OC) qualifier(assuming the back doesn't have some flaw).

And yes, that is one of my favorite Mantle cards.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's shame so much of the grade has become based on centering/t/b. The card in the new flip is much nicer then a PSA 5.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

7(OC) = 5 and many prefer no qualifiers.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not appropriate to expect all cards of a given grade to be equally appealing.

The grade PSA 6 requires at least 80/20 centering on the front. Let's say this card has one centering measurement of 85/15. Then it is not a PSA 6 no matter how nice it is otherwise. It might be a 9 OC, but that does not guarantee it is a straight 7 if it doesn't meet the centering requirements of a 7.

On the other hand, once the card is down to a 5 because of the centering, other defects that are acceptable for a 5 (corner wear) will not necessarily lower the grade further. So what you will have is two accurately graded 5s, one of which looks much nicer than the other.

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Technical grade does not equal eye appeal. Bottom line.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

No way that card is a 7(OC), what makes it a 7? IMHO it looks like a 9(OC).

I do get your point about the qualifiers as I hate them also.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

Again, a 9 OC does not automatically equate to a straight 7. It does for registry purposes, but if the card is a structural 9 with 90/10 centering, it can get a 9OC, but it can't get a straight 7.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

We're also not seeing the backs. Anyone with any experience shopping for low-grade/high-eye appeal cards know that the tiniest of tiny imperfections on the back of a card can save you thousands of dollars.

• Options

@Cakes said:

@LarkinCollector said:

No way that card is a 7(OC), what makes it a 7? IMHO it looks like a 9(OC).

I do get your point about the qualifiers as I hate them also.

Just responding to @Jimmy_Commonpants who was seeming to indicate that 7(OC) and a 5 were vastly different grades when in reality they're roughly equivalent. It's a low grade scan, I'm not going to attempt to grade the card off of that other than centering.

One thing even high quality scans are horrible at is showing any surface issues. The tiniest of wrinkles on the front is an automatic 5 for technical grade, though eye appeal can be much higher.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    It's not appropriate to expect all cards of a given grade to be equally appealing.

The grade PSA 6 requires at least 80/20 centering on the front. Let's say this card has one centering measurement of 85/15. Then it is not a PSA 6 no matter how nice it is otherwise. It might be a 9 OC, but that does not guarantee it is a straight 7 if it doesn't meet the centering requirements of a 7.

On the other hand, once the card is down to a 5 because of the centering, other defects that are acceptable for a 5 (corner wear) will not necessarily lower the grade further. So what you will have is two accurately graded 5s, one of which looks much nicer than the other.

I understand, but the top one does not have 85/15 centering U/D, its completely mis-cut. And those corners don't reflect "very minor rounding becoming evident" - three are plain bent/dog eared. Unless there is something on the back of the bottom one, those two cards should be at least two complete grades apart.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options

@Dand522612 said:
    Technical grade does not equal eye appeal. Bottom line.

I would add, the lower you go in grade, the greater the variation in eye appeal among the same numerical grade. Once you get down to 1s, you can have everything from a '10' with a pinhole to a seriously trashed card.

• Options

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

@PaulMaul said:

I understand, but the top one does not have 85/15 centering U/D, its completely mis-cut. And those corners don't reflect "very minor rounding becoming evident" - three are plain bent/dog eared. Unless there is something on the back of the bottom one, those two cards should be at least two complete grades apart.

I don't think the top one should be a 5 either, I was more talking about why it's not necessarily unreasonable for the bottom one to be a 5.

• Options

Larkin, the comment on the surface is valid, I have a gorgeous Julius Erving rookie that looks like a PSA 9 online but it has a small defect that's tough to see.

• Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭

The bottom one likely has a hidden surface crease, possibly on the back.

• Options

@Cakes said:
    Larkin, the comment on the surface is valid, I have a gorgeous Julius Erving rookie that looks like a PSA 9 online but it has a small defect that's tough to see.

It's the only grading factor I comment on in my eBay raw listings. With good quality scans, centering, corners, and edges can all be discerned online. Surface is the technical grade killer of many gorgeous cards.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

@PaulMaul said:

I don't think the top one should be a 5 either, I was more talking about why it's not necessarily unreasonable for the bottom one to be a 5.

Ok, I gotcha.

Did some looking, and this PSA 4 looks better than the top PSA above. I'm leaning towards that one posted above being a cracked slab/swapped card. Maybe its not, but I just can't find any other one graded a 5 that looks that bad.

1965 Topps - [Base] #350 - Mickey Mantle [PSA 4] - Courtesy of COMC.com
    1965 Topps - [Base] #350 - Mickey Mantle [PSA 4]

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    That could very well be a flip typing error.

Has happened in the past and will continue in the future.

I agree; my bet is that you're right, this is the correct answer for why the card is in the holder you see in the OP. I think this is more likely than it having been a sneaky crack-and-replace job.

• Options

Which 5 is better?

• Options

Based upon the front scans, the bottom Clemente is much better. Not even a debate. Now if there is something on the back of the bottom one....

• Options

@Dand522612 said:
    Which 5 is better?

This will not be the consensus, but I personally prefer the top, with fairly even wear and nothing that jumps out as visually distracting at that grade. The bottom one is far cleaner (and better centered), but my eye jumps to the upper right damage that bumped it down to a 5 on a card that could otherwise be an 8.

If auctioned simultaneously, the bottom would likely bring a moderate to significantly higher price.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    Again, a 9 OC does not automatically equate to a straight 7. It does for registry purposes, but if the card is a structural 9 with 90/10 centering, it can get a 9OC, but it can't get a straight 7.

Are you absolutely sure about this? I cannot imagine centering having to drop a card from a 9OC to a PSA 3 if asking for no qualifiers. I use this example instead of the PSA 5, because if you follow their guidelines and your suggestion of centering being mandatory, for a PSA 3 it must be 90/10 or better and a PSA 4 is 85/15 or better. I guess at some point it becomes miscut, but I just cannot see PSA dropping 6 points in this example following the rule. I think if anything, they would just tell you they cannot grade, like in the instance of other qualifiers being unable to remove for the 2 pt drop.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@Dand522612 said:
    Which 5 is better?

This will not be the consensus, but I personally prefer the top, with fairly even wear and nothing that jumps out as visually distracting at that grade. The bottom one is far cleaner (and better centered), but my eye jumps to the upper right damage that bumped it down to a 5 on a card that could otherwise be an 8.

If auctioned simultaneously, the bottom would likely bring a moderate to significantly higher price.

You are correct regarding the right corner, however I do prefer the cleaner one. Again it is an eye appeal vs technical and yes the cleaner one is my card

• Options

@secretstash said:

@PaulMaul said:

Are you absolutely sure about this? I cannot imagine centering having to drop a card from a 9OC to a PSA 3 if asking for no qualifiers. I use this example instead of the PSA 5, because if you follow their guidelines and your suggestion of centering being mandatory, for a PSA 3 it must be 90/10 or better and a PSA 4 is 85/15 or better. I guess at some point it becomes miscut, but I just cannot see PSA dropping 6 points in this example following the rule. I think if anything, they would just tell you they cannot grade, like in the instance of other qualifiers being unable to remove for the 2 pt drop.

It could probably go down to a 5 since there's a 5% leeway in the centering for a given grade, no way it would drop all the way to a 3. At 90/10 on an otherwise sharp-perfect card, another grading company would likely be your best bet given PSAs reputation for being more strict on centering. Never forget also, PSA reserves the right to ignore their grading guidelines and could potentially give a 90/10 front card a straight 6:
    The key point to remember is that the graders reserve the right, based on the strength or weakness of the eye appeal, to make a judgment call on the grade of a particular card.

• Options

What's the grade on this card?

Mike
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    What's the grade on this card?

Trick question....4-5?

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options

That right edge is mesmerizing. Auth-Trimmed?

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

Hiya Kyle

No - I pulled this myself out of a vending box.

Thought it was for sure a 9 - looks incredible - what did I miss?

A tiny indentation in the area where the "game" is in the back upper right area. Too bad too - it's still a beauty in a 6 holder.

Mike
  • Options

I agree, Mike, it's a beauty, just have to expect it to be a trick question ;)

• Options

@Stone193 said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Hiya Kyle

No - I pulled this myself out of a vending box.

Thought it was for sure a 9 - looks incredible - what did I miss?

A tiny indentation in the area where the "game" is in the back upper right area. Too bad too - it's still a beauty in a 6 holder.

Looks like a 10

• Options
    tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

All these examples remind me why VCP is not the bible; Who wouldn't pay more for any of the better examples shown in this thread?

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options

Exactly, the thing is they are all technically the correct grade. Eye appeall means so much and as everyone always says here buy the card not the holder.

• Options

Speaking of eye appeal.

We have discussed forever about how centering has become "King" in what a card will command?

The lesser centered one went for under 900 bucks while the centered went for a whopping 1500 clams!

Mike
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fisheye is pretty noticable on the centered Mantle.
    I don't really like either one, off center and fisheyes' both bother me.LOL.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2017 10:49PM

@Darin said:
    The fisheye is pretty noticable on the centered Mantle.
    I don't really like either one, off center and fisheyes' both bother me.LOL.

You know there is always a guy like you. ;) I agree with Mike's posit. My eye is always first drawn to centering. HOWEVER as soon as I see a small flaw like the fisheye I can't unsee it.

That said, if I'm a BB collector and 1960 Topps Mantle #350 is on my buy list, my top dollar for it is $1500, and a centered PSA 7 like that showed up?......... I'd jump on it! With PSA 8s having a VCP of $3433, I'd have ZERO problem making that my 7 for $400 over VCP.

Like was said earlier. Every grade level of every card is different. That's the beauty of collecting. Certain cards look better to me with certain flaws.

Modern Hockey: I'd take modern (with no defined border YGs, FWA etc) off centered all day long over one with "perfect centering" and white showing through on the corners.

Vintage hockey: since most have a defined border I need centering and can overlook lightly touched corners.

Prewar Hockey: give me perfect centering, completely loved round corners, perhaps a small wrinkle even and I'm in heaven.

Different strokes for different folks,
    Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    edited September 21, 2017 10:05AM

Old flip - bought when we were more "tolerant" of the grading thing.

I paid $250 and thought that was way too much money - some time in the early 90s.

edit: in fact, this card got lost in a box for years and I didn't remember owning it. I found a list of prices more recently that I paid for stuff in the 90s - good to have.

Mike
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2017 4:09PM

Much better, Mike. You saved the best looking one for last, and its your own card!
    Congrats on a great buy many years ago.

Edited to add: I know Mikes' isn't perfectly centered, but it is certainly not off-centered enough to
    be a distraction to me. Especially in a PSA 7 holder. A PSA 9, I would want a better centered one,
    but Mikes' is a great looking 7 IMO.