Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coins in Movies - Greta Garbo on a coin in Queen Christina (1933)

In the 1933 MGM film "Queen Christina", Swedish actress Greta Garbo plays the medieval Swedish queen, who, among other things, liked to dress as a man.

Early in the film, Christina is mistaken for a boy and given a Swedish daler (taler) as a "tip", the coin is then shown:

Queen Christina daler prop coin

The coin is not a generic prop coin but was made specifically for the film. It has Greta Garbo facing right surrounded by a nearly authentic Christina legend.

The real Queen Cristina had a much different appearance on coins and she was usually faced forward.

The coin's legend is:
CHRISTINA DG SVECO GOT WAN Q DE RE ET PR HAE
which expands to the queen's Latin title:
Christina Dei Gratia Sueciae Gothorum Vandalorum que Designata Regina et Principissa Haereditaria
or:
"Christina, by the Grace of God, Designated Queen of Sweden, Goths, Vandals, and Hereditary Prince"

In the film, Christina falls in love with the Spanish ambassador and abdicates her throne to be with him.

The real Queen Christina did not abdicate due to love. She converted to Roman Catholic religion and could not rule the Lutheran Sweden.

She moved to Rome and took with her a coin collection of 15,000 coins. She bought more coins from numismatists of the time. She willed them to an Italian family who later sold them to the Pope for the Vatican's coin collection.

Christina would stamp a crowned 'C' on her coins, making them easy to identify.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Fascinating.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

My only Queen Christina coin is a large bronze ore. I always had thought about getting one of her "dalers" but other interests took precedence. There are some of her coins on display in the mint museum in Stockholm.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2017 6:01PM

A similar Greta Garbo prop coin without the Swedish legend appears in the 1945 MGM film "Yolanda and the Thief".

Yolanda and the Thief (1945) Greta Garbo prop coin

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always enjoy your finding of these Hollywood coin snippets. Well done!