Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Chrome vs. Regular market value

Let me start by saying that I know next to nothing regarding modern sports cards (post 1990 for me). However, I do have a growing collection of some of each of the sports all time greats' rookie cards, including moderns like Brady, Trout, Lebron etc. I recently purchased a 2000 Bowman Chrome Brady PSA 10. The current market suggests the Chrome sells for about 75% more than the non chrome version. However, not only are there over 2.5x as many Chrome 10's as regular 10's, but over 40% of all submissions come back as 10 for the Chrome where "only" 22% of the non Chrome come back as 10.

So, what is it that establishes the higher pricing? Is it the aesthetics, the perceived superior product? Any info would be appreciated. I am not certain if this scenario holds true for Lebron, Trouts and the other superstars out there.

Thanks, Tom

Comments

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2017 1:07PM

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think overall Chrome is printed in less quantity than regular Topps. People tends to submit more Chrome since they do grade well.

Mike
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

@ndleo said:
    I think overall Chrome is printed in less quantity than regular Topps. People tends to submit more Chrome since they do grade well.

This is correct. Chrome in most cases are printed in less quantity than the basic Topps variety. I believe people also tend to grade more Chrome because Chrome is worth more than the base Topps. Chrome cards will receive a higher percentage of 10's than their regular counterparts because of two reasons, IMO:

1) the Chrome cards have a firmer stock which allows their corners and edges to retain Gem Mint condition easier than the plain stock of the regular Topps cards

2) as a result of reason 1, it is actually pretty easy to gauge whether or not to sub a Chrome card. Corners and edges are typically going to be good to go unless you got unlucky with the card, so you basically only have to check the centering and surface for scratches to see if you have a 10 candidate. Chrome cards can actually be pretty condition sensitive with their surfaces. Often times you will have a blemish or scratch that knocks an otherwise perfect card out of being submittable.

If you are going to collect Chrome cards and have the budget for it, I would suggest going for the Chrome Refractors whenever you get the chance. Those will hold and/or increase in value the most IMO.

Steve
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just looked up Chrome FB boxes on ebay and I was shocked to see how much boxes have risen, even the overprinted 2014 Chrome and semi-overprinted 2015. $70-$80 for 2014 Topps Chrome is too high for a product that shortprinted the key rookie autos. $90+ for 2015 Topps Chrome is too much when there are still a lot of cases out there.

I see that 2012 Topps Chrome is in the $140 or less range, that actually seems like a bargain. I have a feeling that Luck is not going to stay in Indy. The ownership and GM have been clowns since he has been there.

Mike