Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Opinions: Is this corner too “soft” for a PSA 10?

Purchased a 1989 Topps Traded Ken Griffey Jr PSA 10, lighthouse label slab. Upon getting it today, noticed with my naked eye, the upper left corner looked soft. Checked it under the loupe and this is what I see. Do PSA’s corner standards have a little wiggle room? I figured corners absolutely needed to be sharp with no fray or paper loss. Anyone else have a gem mint 10 with a similar corner? I got it on eBay from someone who had 100% feedback and a lot of card sales prior. This was one of a few of these cards they had for sale, all in cert number succession so they must’ve had a bunch of these subbed at once. Not sure if he’s a bulk dealer or not. I almost wanna ask for a return/refund but I think I may just be overreacting a bit. Card still has eye appeal and most would probably overlook the corner at first glance. The other three corners are perfectly sharp with no fray.

myslabs.to/smzcards

Comments

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

That would drive me crazy.

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

That almost looks like paper loss?? What is causing that angled line on the corner??

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

good eye

• Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

The fray doesn't bother me as much as whatever that line is.

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

The line is paper loss

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

I wouldn't want that in my collection, just my 2 cents.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭

IMO, that should not be a 10. Just curious, is the little paper loss chunk possibly floating around in the case? Could this had happened after grading?

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options

I asked the seller for an exchange since I don’t feel it’s right. And I don’t see anything floating around the inside of the holder.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

Were you the poster with the damaged PSA 10 Chipper Jones a few weeks back?

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    edited September 19, 2017 8:29AM

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:
    Were you the poster with the damaged PSA 10 Chipper Jones a few weeks back?

Yup. That’s two graded cards I got off eBay out of like 15 that have had pre-existing damage while already holdered. I think psa graded this card as is, which I find hard to believe. They would’ve given me a 7 with that corner.

Im still waiting for PSA to finish their review of the chipper jones card. I should be getting an email later today from them.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

In that 2nd, more enhanced scan, it almost looks like there is another line/wrinkle? about 1 inch the way across the top border.

• Options
    demondeacsdemondeacs Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2017 8:48AM

The line could just be a reflection/shadow from the light scratch on the case.

PSA doesn't punish for rough cuts so the fraying along the left edge is not an issue.

• Options

It’s just the lighting or texture. I just checked it again. The more I look at it naked eye, the more it seems frivolous. I guess I’m just looking at it at 40-60x magnification whereas psa doesn’t look at it that close, which is why they missed it or figured it doesn’t take away from the grading.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

Seller apologized for not catching it. He was prompt to offer a free exchange of any of the other ones he had for sale, my choice. Can’t be mad at him, it’s hard to see unless you’re looking for it.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

at first i wouldn't have worried about it..but now that ur so focused on it, it'll always drag ur eye to it...like a spot on a tie...cause now i can't look away or help but notice it...sellers seems cool, just do the free exchange....good luck

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

The majority of cards are going to exhibit flaws, even in PSA 10 grade, under that kind of magnification. PSA does not even use a loupe when grading cards, and if you have a good eye and an ample lighting source, you don't have to, either.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2017 6:40PM

I just turned 70 this year.

And I know "I" couldn't stand up to "that" kind of scrutiny.

Mike
  • Options

Seller is being awesome about it. He apologized that he didn’t catch it. Just like my chipper jones issue, my eyes were immediately drawn to it when I first looked at the card in person. I was able to see something wasn’t as sharp as the others and magnification proved it correct. I really hate to be “that guy” but I wanted and paid for a 10. This card, even graded a 10, isn’t to me.

Emailed my contact at psa that’s handling the chipper jones card and he agreed it didn’t look right and would also need management review. He also stated this is part of the human error in grading and sometimes things like this slip trough.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

@grote15 said:
    The majority of cards are going to exhibit flaws, even in PSA 10 grade, under that kind of magnification. PSA does not even use a loupe when grading cards, and if you have a good eye and an ample lighting source, you don't have to, either.

I agree. However I was able to see this with my naked eye. If it was something only seen with magnification, I would’ve cared a lot less.

It’s like buying a new car off the lot with a huge scratch in the door vs a small scuff on the roof out of sight. Less likely to just deal with it if the issue is right on the door in plain view.

myslabs.to/smzcards