Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Gauging General Interest Only: PSA 9 1986-87 Fleer Basketball + Stickers Lighthouse Label Set Break

I recall we are closing in on the 1 year anniversary of Slum's PSA 9 1986-87 Fleer Basketball set break, which went very well. I own a 1986-87 Fleer Basketball set (includes stickers, so 143 total cards) that I am about to send to PSA for reholder (sending in 350 total cards, so the set represents about 2/5 of the bulk reholder sub). When it comes back, I am considering attempting to run a set break for the board members. See the proposed pricing, rules, etc. listed below. I have included pics of the two MJs to be offered at the bottom of this post for reference.

I am considering donating a portion of the proceeds from this event to the Pat Tillman Foundation. You can learn more about this organization here: http://pattillmanfoundation.org/ . I am not sure on the exact donation % yet (may be 10-25%?); this depends on the final estimated financials on my end, but I will not begin the break without stating up front the exact % given to the PTF.

At this time, I am simply looking to gauge general interest from the forums for an event like this. Please not response asking to reserve spots at this time; I am not that far along. If you have general interest, please reply to this thread stating something along those lines. If I see enough interest, I will begin work on setting everything up so when the cards are returned from PSA in fresh lighthouse labels, I can go live.

Set Break Would Include:
-All Base Cards 1-132, all PSA 9, no qualifiers, all in the brand new lighthouse labels/slabs.
-All Sticker Cards 1-11, all PSA 9, no qualifiers, all in the brand new lighthouse labels/slabs.
-Total # of items to be broken = 143.
-I will post a picture/scan of each card prior to the break going live for each potential participant to inspect.

Pricing:
-$100 per entry slot.

Shipping:
-Free shipping for each card, regardless of your quantity of entries.
-Breakers purchasing 4 or fewer cards will receive their cards in a new bubble mailer (not recycled), shipped via USPS 1st class w/ tracking.
-Any breaker w/ 5 or more total cards will receive their items in a small cardboard box via USPS 1st class w/ tracking.
-Any breaker with a total estimated value of more than $300 will require signature upon delivery.
-Any breaker with more than $1000 in value will get USPS insurance for their cards.
-Once again, all shipping is free.

Payment Terms/Methods:
-Payment is expected as soon all the slots are claimed.
-Payment is expected via PayPal and will be net to me.
-PayPal Friends and Family is preferred.
-If you want PayPal Goods please know that 2.9%+$0.30 will be added to the total to account for the PayPal fees for each entry (so $102.9+.3=$103.20).
-I may consider other payment methods on a case by case basis, but I prefer paypal in order to expedite the break for all participants.

Randomization:
-After the break is paid for by all the participants, I will announce a date/time/web location where I will stream a live broadcast of the randomization of the break.
-Each slot purchased will be assigned a number 1-143 by the order of purchase, this list will be on the first page of the official break page once it goes live.
-The slot numbers will then be put through the randomizer on Random.org and randomized 10 times. The 10th randomization will be the official break of the set and each slot will receive the card that matches their spot in the order of that final list.

MJ Pics (decent L/R centering on each):

Comments

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

I certainly may be interested. I participated on the one last year.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    abcoltsfanabcoltsfan Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

I have interest as well.

Working on the following sets
    1980's and 1990's Topps Baseball BBCE FASC - Cello or Wax Boxes
    1952 Bowman US Presidents PSA 7 & up
    Pro Football Hall of Fame Indianapolis Colts PSA Registry Set
    June 9th Cubs full ticket or stubs - 1981 to 2020
    Andre Dawson Topps Basic registry PSA 10's
    Mark Grace Topps Basic registry PSA 10's

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

I'm down

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

thank you so far

• Options
    Tecmo BoilTecmo Boil Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

I would be interested

• Options
    GrimsterGrimster Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

I think $100 per slot is a little high. Last year's break was also during a time when the Jordan's were on fire, and even then the slots were only $87. Back then, the Jordan PSA 9 was going for around $5100. Today it is going for between $3200 - $3500.

Also, there was a complete PSA 9 (including stickers) set that sold on ebay yesterday for ~ $8150.

I would be interested, but it'd have to be much cheaper than the $100/slot range, maybe around the $70/slot range?

Also, do you think it is necessary to get the new holders? I would think you would have more participation if you just had each slot a little cheaper rather than bumped up $5-$8 or whatever the per card cost is to get reholdered.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with Grimster. I didn't realize the $100 price tag may be on the high side.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 467 ✭✭✭

Interested.

• Options
    FrancartFrancart Posts: 334 ✭✭✭

I agree with Grimster

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interested but at the same price as last year.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2017 12:12PM

The price last year was based on SMR /VCP I believe as others have noted the steep increase. What is the current PSA 9 price? It has to be 30-40% of last year based on the rest of the jordan market crash, but who knows. I would think that same method would be most fair. If $100 a slot is a live price, I doubt we will ever fill this. Unless Evan Mathis buys all the slots. lol :D

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be in but the cheaper the better, skip the reholdering.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2017 12:52PM

Thank you for the feedback everyone. I am open to acting on the suggestions offered thus far for changes to the price.

Below is a summary of the inputs I factored into my original price offering .

-Last year's break and price did not include the stickers; I have included the stickers in PSA 9 slabs into this break. The stickers do add value to the break overall. I could remove them from the break to reduce the price, but participants would then miss out on the opportunity to obtain a nice / valuable sticker, which generally price above base commons. If potential participants want me to pull the stickers to lower the price, I will do it.

-In addition to simply breaking the set, I am also trying to generate some $$$ for the PTF as well, approx $1-3k (not sure yet on the target), on top of shipping costs and based what I have invested into forming the set, which was not bought at the top of market 2016, but also was not collected at the bottom of market either. I could forget the PTF donation idea to lower the price, but I would prefer to try to do some good above and beyond what i could comfortably contribute on my own. I have seen this done in other breaks and thought it would be a great opportunity to apply here. With all of that said, I am willing to abandon this charitable donation idea if it is not palatable for the potential participants. And this would lower the price.

-Last year's break did not have free shipping; I have applied free shipping for this break. Though the commons will be low shipping costs on my end (about $3 per single card to be shipped, less per card for multi entry folks), the higher priced cards will require more for signature confirmation and insurance (I don't want to experience shipping drama post break for the high value cards). Free shipping applied here enables me to also avoid having to seek out and obtain post-break shipping fee payments from each participant to cover shipping and facilitate shipping cards. I wanted to just ship asap once the break concluded (next morning make it all go) vice waiting around for people to pay for individual shipping costs, have people haggle post break about shipping pricing, etc. I am open to removing free shipping here and just offer pre-break base and combined shipping rates that everyone would have to agree to up front to to pay post break to lower the entry price. These would be reasonable and per current pricing for usps postage and bubble mailers, insurance, etc. but not "free" to participants by any means.

-I could avoid the reholder to lower the price, but I assumed that the new labels would entice more to participate, as the lighthouse labels are the current standard and provides piece of mind for the cards in the set. The lighthouse label is not a requirement. I absolutely can avoid the reholder. This would lower the price obviously for each break entry.

Using the small sample size of feedback thus far, it seems like the reholder will be the first and easiest kill to reduce the price and expedite the break, so everyone can expect that I will not send the set un for reholder unless momentum changes for that aspect of the break.

I will continue to review suggestions and feedback over the coming days before posting revised pricing and terms.

Please keep the suggestions coming.
    Thanks!

• Options

Just some thoughts.

Good information on the stickers. That does add value with Jordan and Jabbar in the mix. Wilkins a decent sticker too. I vote to keep.

The charity was a nice gesture, but by pricing a donation into the break you are asking all of us to donate to the cause inclusive when most of us come into a break focused on per slot price because its a break. I don't believe most have a problem with your idea to donate, and think it was more sticker shock, but that 2k baked in there is quite substantial. I think you aimed a little too high hoping to donate more, but your best bet is to just take that off your net since it is a donation from you. It may be too hard to communicate that inside of a break. As far as the shipping, it's also baked into the slot price so we are paying shipping anyway but that is normal for a break. Your idea about having shipping already factored in was smart for organization I will say, but just notate the blanket amount you need and be done with it maybe so we all arent considering the "free shipping" into the price. If you would have said $95 with $5 shipping, it already feels better psychologically. lol.
    Just use your figure you baked in for shipping and divide by the 143 slots. What is the cost if reasonable?

• Options

I like the idea of a charity donation, just not baked into your break, it could get messy.

Maybe we could do a group charity donation to your charity http://pattillmanfoundation.org/ from the entire board, the coin guys would probably be game. I could do 20 or 30 bucks.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

Very fair points from Cakes and Secretstash.

I am not looking to pull anyone into a mess or stir a controversy. Breaks are supposed to be fun. It may be wise to simply shelf the donation idea for a different place and time at this point.

For shipping terms, I will run some scenarios and numbers find a shipping price and see what I can do there to present it more smoothly.

• Options

High Grade,

Don't worry this break will be extremely fun when I hit the MJ! mauahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa >:)

• Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

I might be interested, depending on how all of the logistics pan out. Thanks for entertaining all the ideas.

• Options

@Cakes said:
    High Grade,

Don't worry this break will be extremely fun when I hit the MJ! mauahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa >:)

I will pop the champagne for you!

• Options

Revised (Version 2) Break Terms:
    -Price: $79 per entry slot.
    -Shipping: Paid in addition to the entry fee, for USA addresses is $3 for a single entry slot, $1 for each additional entry slot, with cap of $5 total shipping (so if you buy 6 slots, you only pay $5 max for shipping). Exceptions: 1) Winner of MJ #57 pays a post break cost of actual USPS shipping label price of either (their choice) express mail or 1st class registered mail; and 2) non-USA shipping address participants pay actual USPS shipping label costs to their country, TBD up front / before the break based on the # of entries they buy into and USPS pricing for their nation (also, any duties or taxes associated with customs and entry into their nation are paid buy the participant, not me). If an international participant wins the #57 MJ, then they are required to pay additional postage to support USPS express international mail.
    -No mass reholder by me before the break; all cards are in various PSA 9 labels ranging from pre-2008 to the pre-lighthouse holo labels.
    -No charity donation.
    -Payment method: PP F&F preferred; if using PP G&S, add 2.9%+$0.30 for each payment a participant makes (USA people only) or 4.4%+$0.30 for internationals paying. Will consider PWE bank check on a case by case basis (I don't want to slow down beginning the break waiting on this, but may consider it depending up how fast slots fill up).

Once again, no commitments required or wanted at this time.

Just let me know if you "would be game" based on these terms and I will decide from there...

• Options

I'd be in

• Options

in, thanks

• Options

I'd be in for 1 or 2 spots at $79/each.

• Options
    GrimsterGrimster Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

Ya, I would be in for a spot or two @$79

• Options

I would be in

• Options

I would be in.

Looking for LA Rams Rookie cards PSA 10's, 1990 and prior please.

Ebay seller: cvhjos9
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭

i'm in.

• Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

I would be tempted.

• Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭

i'd be in for 2 maybe 3 slots

• Options

game for a couple

I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options

I'd be in for 1 or 2

• Options

Thank you all. Give me a week to get organized here and i will provide an update and a new thread.

Please continue to chime in for interest in the meantime ty

• Options

Thanks for the update based on the prior feedback = in for sure on at least 5 slots.

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options

update = waiting on a case of bubble mailers to arrive. once I have in my possession and figure out the live streaming options, I will post a new thread to officially kick off the break. if anyone has recommendations for streaming, please let me know.

• Options

I'd be in for two slots......same as last time

• Options

I'd be in for 1-2 spots.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would do a slot

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

Stickers still included correct?
    Is there a max number of slots in a timeframe per member or just fill it up from the get?
    Do we pick our numbered slot or is it fill as it goes? Sorry for all the questions
    Interested in a couple

• Options

No max # of entry. Pace of filling slots based on demand. Get in early!

Yes, all psa 9 stickers included.

Never thought about picking entry numbrrs, but sounds good to me. )I hope your luck # hits!

• Options

I am in for 2-3 spots

• Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

In for (1) slot, thanks.

• Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in a few

Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    WFFLWFFL Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

Interested for 2.

• Options

Update:

Fresh bubble mailers arrived Saturday.

I got a PM from the sports moderator telling me all group breaks and rips need to go in the BST thread. I have not seen that before, but the mod moved this threat in the BST category.

I am busy with work early this week, but will have a new thread up at the end of the week kicking off the break.

• Options

Update: everything is ready to go.

This will be my last post in this thread.

I will be starting the official live break thread early this evening.

The live break will begin accepting entries saturday evening.

• Options

NICE! I can't wait to get my greedy little hands on that MJ.

BTW if I hit the MJ I will donate a hundred to your Pat Tillman charity. That guy was a diesel and his sacrifice shouldn't be forgotten.

• Options

@Cakes said:
    NICE! I can't wait to get my greedy little hands on that MJ.

BTW if I hit the MJ I will donate a hundred to your Pat Tillman charity. That guy was a diesel and his sacrifice shouldn't be forgotten.

Great!!!!