Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Graded cards really hurt raw cards

I have been selling the extras and bulk off slowly through eBay and some of these 80's sets you can't give away. Just an unintended consequence of third party grading I guess. It is what it is

Comments

• Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

@VintagemanEd said:
    I have been selling the extras and bulk off slowly through eBay and some of these 80's sets you can't give away. Just an unintended consequence of third party grading I guess. It is what it is

As far as 80s sets, I respectfully disagree. 80s material in general was just so overproduced that a lot of it is fairly worthless. It is unfortunate but, as they say, "it is what it is." I think such would be the case with our without grading.

In regards to raw from the 70s and back, it gets easier to sell the further you go back in time. However, you may in today's age find it difficult to sell raw, for example, a 1952 Mantle, as buyers may in turn think "what is wrong with that card?" You would also be leaving money on the table as a seller by not getting that type of card graded.

My two cents, your mileage can and will vary!

• Options

True but in regards to sets from day 1981-1983 it seems in raw form they sell for less than they would if grading didn't exist

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VintagemanEd said:
    True but in regards to sets from day 1981-1983 it seems in raw form they sell for less than they would if grading didn't exist

Grading doesn't make people want mint cards. People wanting mint cards demanded grading. Before grading I returned many cards that sellers claimed were mint or nm/mt.

Now when I get a card that's graded an 8 to a 10 I get what I wanted.

Overproduction coupled with people saving their cards is what caused cards to be fairly worthless.

Sets as far back as 1976 don't have a lot of value, when you can get unopened material 40 years later, it hurts the demand.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set