Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Meaning of "Tranche Cannelee" on a French coin

Does this mean "milled or reeded edge"?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• RMWRMW Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

I think you have it very close. Milled edge I would say.
    Said the English Canadian

Milled edge type might be more accurate

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah thanks for that, figured so. I have the more common one without...LOL

So which coin type are we talking about 7J?

Ah, the 1996 France Proof Set with the 5 francs either with (rare) or without reeding on edge.

Ok. I don't have any French worth speaking of except for some 20F gold pieces , more like bullion.
    From what I've seen so far, is it safe to say that you are into proofs and patterns quite a bit?

Well, I like the currency Vicky but like 20th C. proofs and patterns. Very little of that in the milled category I can afford though....So a bit of esoterica for entertainment.

I know you have checked out the NGC website, sorry as it is compared to this one.
    You can click on my RMW profile and check out a custom British farthing patterns and proof set I set up there. Pieces. Range from 1699 William III in silver to Victoria, with a lot in between.
    I think you would enjoy it. I have another piece to add to it but have not submitted it yet .

And by the way I know someone who has a couple of G6 complete British VIP proof sets for sale. They aren't cheap but if you are interested you can pm me and I can let you know where to go.