Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Tool for tracking card online auction sales and prices

I've been buying some new cards and selling some of my childhood collection on ebay lately, and it's been really challenging to know what fair market value is for cards. Beckett says one thing, but that doesn't match with what happens on ebay.

I'm a software developer, and I'm working on tackling this problem with an online tool that allows you to see sales volume, price trends, and real time pricing information for sports cards. It's coming together really well!

If anyone is interested in early access to this tool, check it out here:

https://www.cardauctionguide.com

Would love some input and feedback from other card collectors!

Comments

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't know enough about what you are developing but I believe VCP already does this and has done so for quite a while. Most collectors use it and it is an incredible tool for pricing info and images.

KC

• ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:
    Don't know enough about what you are developing but I believe VCP already does this and has done so for quite a while. Most collectors use it and it is an incredible tool for pricing info and images.

KC

True, but they only track vintage cards. If he is buying new stuff there may be a need. Of course you can still use eBay and search completed auctions. I think they go back 3 months now?

• dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok I'll bite. Requested access.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's absolutely a need for it for issues from 2000-present. As has been mentioned, VCP has been providing the service for prior years for quite some time now.

• belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

I'll try, much needed service for modern.

"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

I'm in; email registered.

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2017 9:39AM

Just curious- will you be tracking graded cards or non-graded (raw) cards? If you are tracking Non-graded I would hope your service would provide a scan front and back, full card description and final sale price. For Non-graded the average sale price should not become the standard for raw cards as there are too many condition issues to compare apples to apples IMO.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

when will you be sending info on testing?

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@linunxabuser said:

@dennis07 said:
    Just curious- will you be tracking graded cards or non-graded (raw) cards? If you are tracking Non-graded I would hope your service would provide a scan front and back, full card description and final sale price. For Non-graded the average sale price should not become the standard for raw cards as there are too many condition issues to compare apples to apples IMO.

I would imagine the only way front and back images would be included is if the seller included them in the original listing.

Common sense would be the only way to compare raw to graded.

Welcome to the forum

• AaronfromKyAaronfromKy Posts: 114 ✭✭
    edited September 23, 2017 9:27AM

I hope this works. VCP is an excellent site for vintage but I buy mostly modern and the only site I know of is terapeak

• Cardtarget was a great model, when they sold it, the new owners ruined it. It had modern and vintage, raw and graded and autographs

• Thanks for all of the feedback and support on this thread!

I am focusing on targeting more modern cards rather than vintage cards, so hopefully that will meet the need that a few of you mentioned.

And I am working on tracking graded as well as raw cards. As a couple of you pointed out, tracking raw is more complicated, but I do think that there is a need there. If there are raw cards being sold in auctions online, I'd like to know what the price trends are in that area too.

Have been hard at work on this since I originally posted a couple weeks ago. For those of you who requested early access, thank you for your patience! I will reach out to you individually in the coming weeks with more information.

But I will keep checking in on this thread if there are more questions/feedback.