Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Great Rebellion coinage in Ireland

Ormonde Money of 1643-44 (Ireland)

**Charles I, Ormonde Money, Half-crown, triangle between c r, 14.76g/3h . Charles I (1625-1649)
Ormonde Money was issued in Ireland in the 1640s by the Duke of Ormonde, the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, as an emergency currency during the Great Rebellion.

Ormonde Money coins were used to pay the Royalist garrison of Dublin by Ormonde, who was Charles I’s representative in Ireland. They were minted in the 1640s using foreign currency, bullion and even rings and chains which were melted down.

These coins were also made from silver plate, cut and struck into a number of denominations with simple patterns including their value in ‘old style’ Roman numerals, where ‘4’ is written as ‘IIII’ and not the modern style ‘IV’ as seen on many modern coins. Sometimes, on particularly examples, one can see the original patterns on the silver plate, and, very occasionally, a hallmark from the Dublin Silversmith’s Guild.

The crowns and half-crowns turn up more frequently and tend to be better preserved than the smaller denomination (and lighter) pence coins – the lighter coins were circulated more, show more ‘wear and tear’ and, therefore, were more likely to be melted down later.

obv. crowned C·R (for Charles Rex) in double circle,
rev. IIs VId (denoting 2 shillings and six pence) within double circle
14.76g/3h

Petition Crown
The Worlds Most Prestigious and Valuable Silver Coin. Thomas Simon and two Kings of Numismatics together Petition Crown & 1804 $

Comments