Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Sometimes you just have to wait and wait and wait.

Kagin's mail bid auction of March 19,1970 had a $10 1882 BB on the First National Bank of Pittsfield, Illinois in VF. I wanted the note because it was from my Dad's hometown. It sold for $66 on a $65 estimate. I was the underbidder. The note is unique for the type and denomination from the bank. It finally surfaced again in Lyn Knight's August 26 2017 sale of the Illinois Collection. I attended the sale. The note was hammered down to me at $800 + the juice. There was a bid that was missed and the lot was reopened . It was finally hammered down to me at $1400 + the juice ( $1645 ). Finally after 47 years it was mine. Patience,patience,patience.

Comments

• gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

Congratulations. That has to be a near record for patience.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

enjoy the moment :)

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

That's awesome! Thanks for posting the story :-)

• 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations - I understand the wait. I was the underbidder on a note in a September 1980 NASCA auction (I got cold feet at the $500 mark) and I'm still waiting for it to reappear.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2017 10:47AM

Congrats on finally catching that one and thanks for sharing your story.

The longest I've waited is about 20 years for a specific signature combo to show back up which I hadn't appreciated as a new collector. That's the thing about nationals - sometimes it takes a "generation" for a given note to return to the market. Enormous patience and a lot of luck (including living long enough for a given note to reemerge, knowing about its pending sale and having the necessary resources at the right time) are often required; you were fortunate to have both attributes working for you!

Maybe time to buy a Power Ball ticket to see if any of the luck is still hanging around for you :)

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats, great story

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still waiting on an 1902 Series $20 national, hope is eternal.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • uzuiwekuzuiwek Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

Really glad you finally got your note, and a great story to boot. I had to wait about 7 years for a note once - I expected it to be longer, but Wendell Wolka decided he wanted to build a kitchen with my money. ;)

SPMC LM #405 - Collector of Ohio obsoletes. And other stuff, that I'm not going to tell you, so you don't buy it before I do.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have owned the other and better $20 1882 BB for over 32 years.

• bkzoopapabkzoopapa Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

I was there too and bought the 1902 $10 seal on Pittsfield. The next day drove up from the sale and went to Pittsfield and took pictures in St Mary's church where I had my 1st Communion in 1951. Have been back that way in over 55 years. Went on to Barry where I lived then. Interesting trip