Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Liberal 9, or_______?

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

65/35 on front would still qualify the card as a 9. Sharp card, bad eye appeal as far as I am concerned. 8.5? downward .5 for centering? Card looks better than an 8 to me.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

No way that card should be a 9 with that l-r centering.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

To me, centering should be worth more (or less if it's bad in the grading process. My buddy who runs a vintage card shop and I got into a BIG argument several years ago when I first decided to grade. He's one who keeps babbling on about good comes to a point corners. I on the other hand keeps centering on top. Why, you might ask? My big reasoning is you don't need a 10-power loupe to check the centering as you can see centering with the naked eye. Yes, we need to measure to figure out the degree of off-center but that's easily and quickly done. And worse, the backs get the short shift, as I've seen (9's especially) cards (1960 Topp has off center centering so bad, and it seems not to make the difference. This is why I don't have sets with too many cards in them (until I get going again with vintage graded). It's too bad the Bench card above is so off center, otherwise it's a really gorgeous card. Ok, I'm off my soapbox now.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think this card belongs in a PSA 9 holder even if the centering is within the PSA specs for a 9. The centering is not just off left to right, but it's also off top to bottom. From the standpoint of visual appeal this card should not be a PSA 9.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@divecchia said:
    I don't think this card belongs in a PSA 9 holder even if the centering is within the PSA specs for a 9. The centering is not just off left to right, but it's also off top to bottom. From the standpoint of visual appeal this card should not be a PSA 9.

It doesn't have the centering for a 9, not even close. It's basically 70/30 left to right, which is marginal even for an 8.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Card is also centered low T/B for a PSA 9.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.