Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Yell-a-phone/megaphone

This item was given to me several years ago by an old guy just cleaning out his garage, and just thought I'd share, and perhaps someone can add additional information or have some memories of their own stirred up...

It's a vintage megaphone from Municipal Stadium in Kansas City (supposedly). The item was said to be sold at the popcorn stand. It would have a wax or butcher paper lining and be filled with popcorn for something like 35-40 (?) cents. After you'd finished your popcorn, it was then converted into a megaphone for you to cheer on the Athletics! There is raised lettering on the inside of the megaphone. I took a piece of paper and a pencil and rubbed over the letters, revealing "Yell-a-phone" with a P.O. Box number and Memphis, Tenn.

Just an initial search on eBay at the time revealed several similar items for both college and professional teams, as well as The Beatles, all apparently from the 60s era.

It's made out of a fairly sturdy plastic, approx 7" tall and 5" across at the widest point, with a metal mouthpiece that I'd guess to be aluminum. The mouthpiece has some slight discoloration and/or corrosion. Also included is a metal beaded chain, so that you can wear it around your neck. It's in remarkable shape for 50+ years old! Again, just thought I'd share for those of you that like the quirky vintage items...