Home Q & A Forum
Options

Are Stocks and Bonds considered Numismatic items?

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big question needs answers.
Please help settle an argument
thank you

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on whom you ask. While Numismatics is defined along these lines - the study and collecting of coins, medals tokens, and paper money some may consider stocks and bonds outside the definition. However, if I recall "nummus" is Latin for money and checks, stocks and bonds are "monetary instruments." So I vote YES! They are in my numismatic collection.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Technically, scripophily.

On a more serious note, it's really the paper money issue. Between federal reserve notes, gold/silver certificates, etc., you've also got things like Treasury Warrants which come dangerously close to being "bearer bonds". So, is a "bearer bond" paper money but other bonds in a different category?

• Options
    coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

Exonumia or even ephemera depending
    I have some Bre-X stock to cash in, I should probably check the ticker on those see how I am doing.

all around collector of many fine things

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2017 9:15PM

According to Wikipedia, collecting stocks and bond certificates are scripophily, a field of numismatics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scripophily

Scripophily is the study and collection of stock and bond certificates. A specialized field of numismatics, scripophily is an area of collecting due to both the inherent beauty of some historical documents as well as the interesting historical context of each document. Some stock certificates are excellent examples of engraving. Occasionally, an old stock certificate will be found that still has value as a stock in a successor company.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

The title is 'scripophily' and I even have a nice book (lots of good color photographs) somewhere on the subject. Maybe even two books. Books came out fifteen or twenty years ago.

The field is pretty vast, and this means that you can't always tell what the buyers will embrace and what they will consider dross.

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2020 2:41PM

Today was a good day at the antique stores. I collect coal scrip and this was too good to pass up. It has No. 1 still in the book.