Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone have a checklist for the 1932 Confreia Olympia 32 set?

I don't see this Olympics set currently graded by PSA and have come up empty in my searches online. PSA does grade a non-sports set from this German cigarette company. Back example...

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2017 5:50PM

That's a tough one. The Confreia film set is easy to find but the Olympic set isn't. I haven't seen a checklist but will let you know if I find one. Looks like there might be two of them in this lot, though you can't see them both on both sides:

ebay.de/itm/41-Sportbilder-fur-verschiedene-deutsche-Alben-d-30er-Jahre-/112542093578?hash=item1a3408110a:g:w~AAAOSwYlBZoqwO

• Options

The site in my link below is very reliable. They say there are only 50 cards in the set, and I'd trust that to be accurate.

csogb.co.uk/Reference/MfrsC/Confreia/confreia.php

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Already in my watch list ;) Thanks for looking and if you come across one I'd love to get the card I have in a slab.

• Options

You could try contacting people through the following sites and see if they can help. The second one might get the one you're looking for from time to time.

detlef-heinsohn.de/sammel-sport.htm#Olympische%20Spiele

https://zvab.com/english/

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    Already in my watch list ;) Thanks for looking and if you come across one I'd love to get the card I have in a slab.

Well, at least it comes with a beat up Hagen even if it isn't worth much.

• Options

Thanks for all the links! I'll have to keep an eye out for a book it looks like.

Yeah, I've already got a much nicer Hagen. Looked like an interesting gamblers lot though.

• Options

Yes, I found that album last night as well, seems the 32 Reemtsma Olympics and 32 Confreia Film Stars are pretty easy to track down (and both graded by PSA already). The 32 Confreia Olympics has another superstar rookie year issue that deserves to be in a slab, and potentially other stars.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    Yes, I found that album last night as well, seems the 32 Reemtsma Olympics and 32 Confreia Film Stars are pretty easy to track down (and both graded by PSA already). The 32 Confreia Olympics has another superstar rookie year issue that deserves to be in a slab, and potentially other stars.

PSA makes two notable errors with 1932 Reemtsma Sammelwerk:

1) They most often misspell the company name. It is Reemtsma, not Reemstma. I've asked many many times for them to fix this but they don't.

2) The 1932 Reemtsma set was reissued in 1936 at the same time as the 1936 Reemtsma set hit the market. The fronts are exactly the same, and the cards are the same size. The backs have different font and text. The 1936 reissue of the 1932 set has a paragraph on the bottom that notes 1936. PSA grades them all as 1932, which I have found very frustrating, and the associated population report is irrecoverable. The real 1932 ones are definitely tougher to find than the 1936 reissue of the 1932 set. I've got some real 1932's subbed and will scan the difference for you when I get them back.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@LarkinCollector said:

PSA makes two notable errors with 1932 Reemtsma Sammelwerk:

1) They most often misspell the company name. It is Reemtsma, not Reemstma. I've asked many many times for them to fix this but they don't.

2) The 1932 Reemtsma set was reissued in 1936 at the same time as the 1936 Reemtsma set hit the market. The fronts are exactly the same, and the cards are the same size. The backs have different font and text. The 1936 reissue of the 1932 set has a paragraph on the bottom that notes 1936. PSA grades them all as 1932, which I have found very frustrating, and the associated population report is irrecoverable. The real 1932 ones are definitely tougher to find than the 1936 reissue of the 1932 set. I've got some real 1932's subbed and will scan the difference for you when I get them back.

I can't find a side by side comparison on line, though I own some of the same cards w/ both versions.

Here is an example of what the back should look like on a real 1932 (not my listing):

ebay.com/itm/1932-Reemtsma-Cigarettes-MILDRE-BABE-DIEDRIKSON-65-PSA-EX-5-Rookie-RC-/291852264571?hash=item43f3c0247b:g:cpAAAOSw-itXuffn

This is an example of what the back side looks like on a 1936 re-issued 1932. As you can see, different font, and the ad for the 1936 Olympic set on the bottom (also not my listing).

ebay.com/itm/1932-Reemtsma-Cigarettes-DUKE-KAHANMOKU-123-PSA-EX-5-5-Olympia-/291852307320?hash=item43f3c0cb78:g:GvUAAOSw65FXugUp

• Options

Don't even get me started on that one. There's a whole different section of the pop report where the set is also listed under 1932 Sammelwerk Nr 6. I've been pushing to combine them on the registry for months. Hopefully it will be part of the pop reorg going on right now.

I'll have to check the backs more closely, looks like most of what I have is the 1936 reissue.

• Options

When I sub mine from those sets, I put 1936 on the sub form and write an explanation note below it. Eventually they'll get it right, but I'd rather they came back the first time with a correct label instead of me having to send them back for mech error correction.

• Options
    edited September 13, 2017 10:38AM

Here you guy Kyle, I forgot I had a side-by-side sitting here at home. I subbed them with 1932 & 1936 on the sub form, respectively, with the proper explanation. They labeled them both 1932 anyway. The PSA 6 is a legit 1932. The PSA 2 is a 1936 re-issue of the 1932 set.

1932 Reemtsma Cigarettes - Sammelwerk Album Nr. 6 - Olympia 1932 - Gruppe 20 - Card #9 Arthur Jonath/Douglas Fairbanks/Duke Kahanamoku/Miss Amelia Earhart Putnam/Paavo Nurmi

1936 Reemtsma Cigarettes - Sammelwerk Album Nr. 6 - Olympia 1932 Re-Issue - Gruppe 20 - Card #9 Arthur Jonath/Douglas Fairbanks/Duke Kahanamoku/Miss Amelia Earhart Putnam/Paavo Nurmi

You can print these images and staple them to your sub form if you think it would help. I will be sending the 1936 one back for mech error correction.