Home Sports Talk
Options

Where do you think the Indians streak will end??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

well, Game Four of this series highlights what I mentioned about the Indians --- they will go into a shell for a few games and then explode. it wouldn't surprise me to see them reel off 6-7 wins in the next week

The above quote was one I made in the Red Sox thread at the beginning of this incredible run and I was only basing it on how they had played to that point of the season. I never envisioned that the Team would do anything like what they've done. I missed the Oakland run back in 2001 so I have nothing to compare it to, no reference for a streak that keeps going.

I have managed to watch all but two of the games, one early on and one due to work. It is as amazing to me as the Dodgers earlier this season going 43-7 during a 50 game span. Barring a complete collapse they should win tonight to push it to 19 games and Corey Kluber pitches tomorrow. He's no sure thing but is as close to money in the bank as it gets. That means they'll have a reasonable chance to tie the Oakland A's at 20 games and then play another to match the 1936 Chicago Cubs at 21.

Again, as I have watched these games it is almost unbelievable how the Team has played and the outcomes of some games. A look at the overall stats is mind boggling. About three weeks ago I bought tickets for the game this Friday, I think it was game two or three of the streak. Should the wholly improbable happen it would be game 23.

Al. H

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just bought an Indian hat. Anytime now. I'm on the bandwagon

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its been pretty amazing what they've done starting about two weeks before the all star break
    In early July the Royals won 9 straight games, and at the same time Cleveland had won 8 straight.
    The Royals streak ended at 9 as the Dodgers swept them 3 in a row going into the all star break.
    But the Indians kept winning, don't remember how many in a row they won but I think 9-10, maybe 11.

Now they've doubled that earlier winning streak. Very impressive the way they're playing since July. I will
    be rooting for them in the postseason.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

I do remember the 84 Tigers going 35-5 right out of the gate.
    I guess the Dodgers going 43-7 and what the Indians are doing now
    is even more impressive than that.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2017 2:56AM

I seem to remember the Tigers starting out like 25-4, maybe it was in 1968. they were really, really good that year. considering that they weren't a Team I rooted for I think I remember most of the starters. my favorite, a guy I always enjoyed watching, was Dick McCaullif. sorry about the spelling.

• Options

so I watched "MoneyBall" this morning. it was entertaining but should put to rest any comparison between that Team and the 2017 Indians. I'm prepared for the Tribe to lose just because it defies all odds that they should keep winning, but the way they have been winning also defies all odds. what a conundrum of sorts.

consider these stats if you haven't been paying attention:
    --- starting pitchers are 18-0 with a 1.71 ERA and seven shut-outs.
    --- they have outscored their opponents 134-32 and hit 39 HR's.
    --- out of 180 innings in the 20 games they have trailed for four innings.

the scores.
    13-6
    4-0
    4-0
    12-0
    6-2
    2-1/9-4, doubleheader.
    3-2/10-0, doubleheader.
    5-2
    11-1
    5-3
    9-4
    5-1
    11-2
    5-0
    4-2
    3-2
    11-0
    2-0

the next game starts in about half-an-hour as they go for the AL record and the real "TIE" for the MLB record even though there's that 26 game interrupted streak. remember, the tie didn't count!!!

• Options

and they have done it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm still a little in dis-belief, when Chisenhall caught the last out I cheered, tears welled up in my eyes and I took a deep breath. that may sound silly but it is what it is. I'm gonna jump in the car, going to my Mom and Dad's house to do some stuff. my Dad will be 91 at Thanksgiving, he was at the Stadium for a few of the 1948 World Series games so I'm curious to see what his reaction to this is.

it goes unsaid that he's seen a lot, but he ain't never seen this.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2017 3:21PM

I recall Baltimore starting the season 0-20 a bit over two decades ago.

Interesting stats.

Edit: 0-21 to begin the 1988 season.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember the parody song of George Michael's 'Faith', 'Gotta get to first base' in honor of those O's.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    I recall Baltimore starting the season 0-20 a bit over two decades ago.

Interesting stats.

Edit: 0-21 to begin the 1988 season.

That's not the kind of record to bring up is it. ;)>:)

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Down a run going into the ninth.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it ends tonight.

Steve

• Options

Well, maybe not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They just tied the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

Down to their final strike, two outs in the bottom of the ninth, Lindor got an RBI double to tie the game at 2-2.

On to extra innings.

Steve

• Options

22 straight!!!!!!!!!

Steve

• Options

@SDSportsFan said:
    Down to their final strike, two outs in the bottom of the ninth, Lindor got an RBI double to tie the game at 2-2.

On to extra innings.

Steve

Herrera throws three straight fastballs to the pinch hitter same part of the plate, outside corner.
    Hits the third one for a base hit.
    Keeps throwing the same pitch to LIndor until he doubles off the wall.

Brilliant piece of idiocy by our so called closer.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options

WOW!!! this one really defines a Team that just won't quit, despite the way it seemed like it would end it really showed how the Team plays --- sound starting pitching, a lock-down Bullpen, infield defense as good as any Team and the timely hitting needed to win. Jose Ramirez is just amazing, the 10th inning double was a single and he forced a Gold Glover to make the play. it's why he's my MVP candidate.

I had resigned myself to the loss and figured the Silver Lining was the return of Andrew Miller who needs a few weeks to get back to form. shame on me!!

an interesting statistic to ponder --- since the Indians acquired Jay Bruce they are something like 31-5.

if anyone is watching the game tomorrow I'll be in the bleachers, Left Center alley at the 370' mark. it should be easy to spot me 'cause I'll be holding up a large black "K" every time Cleveland pitchers have a strike-out. GO Tribe, on to 23 and if things work out, 27, and into History.

• Options

Its clear sailing for at least the next three games Keets. Congrats on at least a 25 game winning streak.
    Junis was our only chance to shut them down, which he did, then our lousy bullpen lost it for him.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options

to this point our starters have been pretty good and pretty consistent, there has only been one game where Francona needed to act early. though he says the "streak" isn't on his mind and not something he reacts to I have to wonder how long his leash will be in these next few games. part of Tito's strength is game management and how he uses the 'pen.

tonight will be Trevor Bauer who has really developed into a fine starter, his motion reminds me a little bit of a right handed Andy Pettite. after that it's Carrasco, Kluber, Clevinger and Tomlin again for the record if they make it that far.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2017 1:28PM

@Darin said:

Herrera throws three straight fastballs to the pinch hitter same part of the plate, outside corner.
    Hits the third one for a base hit.
    Keeps throwing the same pitch to LIndor until he doubles off the wall.

Brilliant piece of idiocy by our so called closer.

I caught this as well and it was indeed disgusting. As far as I'm concerned, the way he approached that AB explained away his 4 1/2 (!!) ERA. You could almost see the hubris oozing from his pores. It was as if he was saying, "I gots 98 and that's ALL I need."

Meanwhile, you could practically read Lindor's mind: "Keep throwing that heater on the outside corner, meat. Keep throwing it. Keep throwing it. I double-dog dare you to do it one more time, because I now have it timed perfectly."

Sure enough, he replicated the same pitch yet again. And sure enough, fat part of the bat and a dent in the left-field wall.

If he changes speed with a breaking ball beneath the strike zone on 1-2, worst-case scenario is a serious guessing game that requires the wheels to spin in Lindor's mind on 2-2. But the only unknown in that at-bat was whether or not the Royals were going to be fortunate enough to have the ball hit right at someone to end the game.......and the streak.

Herrera should never, ever be allowed to set foot on the mound in a save situation again.

• Options

It's over.

4-3 KC

Steve

• Options

man-oh-man, what a run!!! they had their chances but just couldn't get the clutch hit when they needed it late in the game. I thought the players looked a little tight in the 8/9th innings. Trevor Bauer just didn't have it, everything was up in the zone and KC made him pay. he had a nice run and seems to get better each year.

what really impressed me --- after Lindor fanned to end the Game all of us stood and gave the Team a well deserved standing ovation that even seemed to catch the Royals players off guard. a few of them looked around at the crowd with their mouths agape and several, like Mike Moustakas and Eric Hosmer, tipped their caps to the Cleveland players.

I thought it was a nice ending to a historic run, classy by everyone involved and good for MLB.

• Options

after a close game against the LA Angels the Tribe has now reeled of four more to make it 26 of 27 which is quite a run. a stat the announcers talked about during the post game --- on August 26th the Indians were 19 games behind the Dodgers for the best record in MLB, after tonight they closed it to a single game!!! that's remarkable, closing 18 games in a little over three weeks.

• Options

and they just keep winning. I am convinced that this isn't a fluke, that the talent is real and the players are performing to their true ability. I also think that this "run" is proof positive of Terry Francona's leadership skill as a Manager. he has demonstrated the ability to motivate players to use the talent they have and tends to mold a clubhouse atmosphere that is very productive.

he did it the same way in Boston.

I accept that they could fall flat in the playoffs, I just don't expect it. they are playing the right way, not making mistakes and holding on until they force a mistake from the opponent. evidence of that can be seen by looking at the individual batting averages. typically, they have two guys hitting over .300, 1-2 guys around .230 and everyone else clustered between .240 and .280. it doesn't sound like much, but guys are typically going 1/4 and getting their hit during a rally.

another big improvement that gets overlooked is the production at catcher. they platoon two guys, Yan Gomes and Roberto Perez, and together they have 18 HR/86 RBI. it doesn't sound like much but it's good production for a guy in the 7-8-9 hole.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2017 11:57AM

Twenty Three !!!

Edited to say I meant to post this two weeks ago , for some reason it just went through now B)

• Options

actually it was 22.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    actually it was 22.

Carnac is pretty good but he is not infallible. Either way it was impressive and I have them penciled in for a WS win

• Options

I wish I could believe they will win the WS, but as a life-long fan I tend to be fatalistic. consider last year, up 3-1 with two of three at home wasn't good enough. that makes the last two WS the Tribe has been in that they lost in the 10th of Game seven. it is almost a tease that they get that close and miss the brass ring.