Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mom's away and Dad hit a yard sale, more of the same late 80s

H

Ya know you HAVE to get excited seeing cards at a yard sale. There was a handful of vintage and it really piqued my interest. It was a load of fun going through these with my 17 month old son, and worth the price as there were some stars. A tiny bend in the Jr probably keeps it from being sent. A few sharp cards in the lot. The 86 topps were is great shape, but most had centering flaws

I gave myself a headache looking for junk wax gems to no avail. I pulled close to 600 HOFers, and thinking COMC might be the way to go with them. There was also about 10,000 cards left to donate as well.

On to the next yard sale!

Comments

• Options

double check those 1986 topps traded/1991 Chipper Jones. Might strike gold if they are Tiffany!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Ted

I assume this was a "box" of cards? How much were they asking? Did they know anything about what they were selling?

Did you try to "bargain" it down?

Have never done anything like that in forever. Used to hit the flea market with my son - they all knew what they had and wanted top price for their crap.

I was thinking it might be fun to hit the estate sale circuit for a bit - just to see what's there?

Thanx for sharing.

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 Hi Mike! I've been to a number of yard sales, and they seldom have cards, same with antique shops. Mostly the years I found, sans the vintage, usually with stars removed. I saw one big box and she wanted $25 for it. I saw the 85 Mcgwire and a few others, so at that price I wanted to pass, as it wasnt worth more digging at that price based on what I saw. I noticed two more tuperwares with top loaders, and binders with stars, and I asked the owner if she was aware there were more cards. She said they were all $25. I paid and preceded to load up the car, when she said it was $25 per bin. I then told her it really wasn't worth the $25 to begin with, but I figured with the 3 bins it would be worth it. The husband then told me to take them all for $25. So a little negotiating, but looking on COMC, most of these stars have hundreds of examples at 30 CENTS! I culled out about 10 cards for grading, and the rest are going to be donated.

I picked up 4 71 topps hof "type" cards for a BUCK a few weekends before. It was Hodges, Mccovery, Rose, and Perry I believe. Nice ex-mt I will try to dig them up

• Options

Thanx Ted.

It's always worth the time looking for a "diamond up a goat's ass" at fleas and yards if ya don't mind rummaging and driving all over town and about.

Me? Have been way too lazy I guess.

I miss doing that with my son tho. We had good times.

Mike
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    Hiya Ted

I assume this was a "box" of cards? How much were they asking? Did they know anything about what they were selling?

Have never done anything like that in forever. Used to hit the flea market with my son - they all knew what they had and wanted top price for their crap.

I was thinking it might be fun to hit the estate sale circuit for a bit - just to see what's there?

Thanx for sharing.

Mike,
    I tried the estate sales in my area a few times. I quickly learned the "competitors" didn't mind getting up at 5 am on a Friday or Saturday morning to be the first in line. I'd normally arrive at opening time around 7 or 8 and find myself about #100 in line to get in. After getting in I'd find things had been picked over pretty good.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options

@dennis07 said:

@Stone193 said:
    Hiya Ted

Thanx for sharing.

Mike,
    I tried the estate sales in my area a few times. I quickly learned the "competitors" didn't mind getting up at 5 am on a Friday or Saturday morning to be the first in line. I'd normally arrive at opening time around 7 or 8 and find myself about #100 in line to get in. After getting in I'd find things had been picked over pretty good.

Not surprised Dennis. Good reason to sleep in - hit eBay - and see if I can find something interesting.

Mike
  • Options

I'd have to agree Mike.

Many many more misses than hits. Thankfully the baby gets us up early and we like to pick up books and toys on the cheap for him, as they are easily amd quickly destroyed!

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Griffey does have nice centering.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.