Home Sports Talk
Options

Is anyone else ready for MLB playoff predictions??

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cleveland will start Trevor Bauer in game 1 and probably go with Kluber in game 2 and Carrasco on the road in game 3. Carlos Carrasco has a better road record so that makes sense, I think Tito picked Bauer in game 1 to keep the rotation intact and the pitchers in their usual routines.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, my 2 cents...anything can and probably will happen. Hopefully nothing boring, or long pauses by pitchers or batters.

It is pertinent to note the 2004 AL championship games between Boston and New York. After having CRUSHED the Red Sox in Fenway park on a dank Saturday night of 10-16-04, by a score of 19-8, all hope looked beyond lost. Game 4 in Boston finds the Red Sox down to their last 3 outs, Mariano on the mound. Millar gets walked and Dave Roberts goes in to run for Millar. Roberts steals 2nd, Bill Mueller hits a single, and the Red Sox win the game in the 12th inning...the MIRACLE begins.

The Red Sox MIRACULOUSLY win the next 8 games and become WS champs since forever. Considered by many to be THEE most exciting playoff and WS games ever played, bar none...I agree and yes, I'm a BIG Red Sox fan.

Point is, anything can happen, one play, something weird or crazy. Keep the faith with your teams until the fat lady sings.

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I would like to see the Red Sox pull it of but will be happy as long as the Yankees get their aSS's kicked in the first game.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    Cleveland will start Trevor Bauer in game 1 and probably go with Kluber in game 2 and Carrasco on the road in game 3. Carlos Carrasco has a better road record so that makes sense, I think Tito picked Bauer in game 1 to keep the rotation intact and the pitchers in their usual routines.

My only concern with this that Bauer didn't pitch well in last years post season. He has a lot of pressure on him. Less if he pitches game 3. But Tito knows best I guess. I love Tito

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Mark, I would never pretend to understand the way Francona thinks but I believe this is a strategy at least in part based on the outcome of the WildCard game. Cleveland's BullPen is rested and the Yankees is not. Cleveland has two proven starters that can relieve Bauer if he needs help, but he isn't the same pitcher he was last season, his control is better and he has demonstrated a better ability to throw breaking balls for strikes.

I would expect the Indians hitters to put pressure on Sonny Gray by working the count and giving Girardi not many options, the least of which is to burn his guys out for Friday. whatever the outcome it will be a good game.

I would also add that pretty much ALL Indians fans knew that Carrasco would pitch the first road game, wherever it was. he was never an option in 1 or 2 at home and Francona knew that, so Bauer is the smart choice while keeping the rotation in order.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

jose freaking altuve

• Options

Jose "Judge" Altuve!!!!!!

I just made a couple posts here, checked the score and actually muttered "Is that his third??" and had to check. holy crap, three HS's and he'll probably get another AB, has anyone ever hit four in a playoff game.

the MVP voting is based on the regular season but most of us thought he should be that guy before this. now, there's icing on the cake!!!

• Options

Altuve is a freak show

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2017 4:31PM

@keets said:
    Mark, I would never pretend to understand the way Francona thinks but I believe this is a strategy at least in part based on the outcome of the WildCard game. Cleveland's BullPen is rested and the Yankees is not. Cleveland has two proven starters that can relieve Bauer if he needs help, but he isn't the same pitcher he was last season, his control is better and he has demonstrated a better ability to throw breaking balls for strikes.

I would expect the Indians hitters to put pressure on Sonny Gray by working the count and giving Girardi not many options, the least of which is to burn his guys out for Friday. whatever the outcome it will be a good game.

I would also add that pretty much ALL Indians fans knew that Carrasco would pitch the first road game, wherever it was. he was never an option in 1 or 2 at home and Francona knew that, so Bauer is the smart choice while keeping the rotation in order.

After the day off the Yankees bullpen is rested and ready to go. All hands on deck. Clevelands bullpen maybe a little to rested. The Yankees need to win game one and I think they have a chance to jump on Cleveland tonight. Looking forward to tonight's game. The oddsmakers have game one as a virtual pick em

m

• Options

the guy is five-foot-what and 100 pounds and what??? three HR's in a game one playoff is nuts.

• Options

Girardi has said he won't use Green and Robertson today. he might, but he said he wouldn't because of the number of pitches each threw.

• Options

@keets said:
    Girardi has said he won't use Green and Robertson today. he might, but he said he wouldn't because of the number of pitches each threw.

He might spot them but for sure they ain't throwing multiple innings. For sure they would be better off if they didn't have to. Betacnces didnt pitch Tuesday. He may have to tonight. He's been feast or famine

m

• Options

So far Tito is a genius.

m

• Options

nice!!!!

Trevor Bauer on the hill and Jay Bruce in the box was a winning combination tonight. on the other side, the Yankees seemed off balance most of the night with curve balls setting up fastballs. in a way, the WildCard game sort of spotted Cleveland a game, this next one will be more typical of a game 1.

I am anxious to see in the Tribe bunts on Sabathia.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it was Judge that hit 3 HR this place (and the card forum) would light up like the fourth of July.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

a very good point, but instead it was Judge who struck out FOUR TIMES and was talking to himself.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2017 8:29AM

@keets said:
    a very good point, but instead it was Judge who struck out FOUR TIMES and was talking to himself.

Great start for Cleveland. They look like a team hungry to get back to the world series and take care
    of unfinished business like KC in 2015. Bauer sure shut down the critics who thought Kluber should
    have started game 1.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

I mentioned it last year during the Boston series and then again vs. Toronto and the Cubbies --- these players are in for a concentration of curveball/breaking ball like they aren't accustomed to seeing, from the starters right through to the closer and everyone in between. last night it was a sharp 12-6 traditional curve, tonight it will be a wicked slider that moves down and away --- plus --- two different fastballs, a two-seam and a four-seam that both move differently. it will be a challenge for the Yankees for sure.

I'm not predicting anything because too much can happen in a short series where one thing can swing a game, but the Bronx Bombers are facing a stiff challenge.

another aspect of the game which NOONE has touched on is the infield defense of the Indians. Lindor and Ramirez just play solid up the middle and turn the DP amazingly smooth. Santana has worked hard since the end of last season on his defense. the payoff is that he doesn't miss much and he has kept EE on the bench as the DH, rarely playing in the field. the surprise has been Giovanny Urshela at 3rd base. he has good range, quick reflexes and a rocket for an arm coupled with surprising instincts for a rookie.

solid infield defense bails out pitchers.

• Options

Well the Yankees didn't have any problems with any of Klubers pitches. However, they sure blew not challenging the Chisenhall's fanthom HBP. What should have been a foul tip third strike and third out turned into 4 runs. Cleveland to their credit sure took advantage

m

• Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

great game, now tied. Not sure what Girardi was thinking not challenging that. The replay looked like it missed him entirely. If it hit anything, it had to have hit the knob or nothing. Both Green and Robertson look gassed from the other day. Encarnacion may be lost for the series? If the Yanks roll over in this game they are done.

• Options

Girardi had virtually nothing to lose at that point in the game. It sure didn't hit him

m

• Options
    edited October 6, 2017 6:54PM

what a great game. Going into the 12th now. I think the Yanks have more arms in their bullpen. Tribe just has Salazar and Tomlin. Yanks can send Betances out for the 12th then have Warren who can go 2 and Montgomery and Garcia, both starters for beyond that

• Options
    edited October 7, 2017 7:09AM

OMG>>>>>>>>>>OMG!!!!!!!!!

un-freakin-believeable.................down 8-3 in the sixth and they storm back to win it in the 13th!!!!! :)
    Yan Gomes with the game winner --- today was his Wedding Anniversary!!

• Options
    edited October 7, 2017 7:21AM

Well the Yankees didn't have any problems with any of Klubers pitches. today.

Francisco Lindor summed it up nicely in the postgame interview, "Kluber showed us he's human today."
    Corey Kluber himself gave a clear explanation, "I had trouble finding the strike-zone today, and when I did they got hit."

I'm sure everyone will make excuses about the game and Chisenhall, I only saw the replays from two angles. one looked like it brushed his glove and then hit the knob of the bat, the other was from the 3rd baseline and it looked like it hit the knob of the bat. to me it was inconclusive at best. in the post game interview Joe Girardi didn't make any excuses and seemed to agree with the call. he thought they may have had grounds for appeal but didn't get the camera angles till it was too late.

I think the bigger point is the BullPens of both Teams which are pretty equal, they can both take care of a game that's getting away from a starter. in this case it was another case of Tito making the right choice with Josh Tomlin who pitched well.

two players who are having an affect on the outcome of the games, Jay Bruce and Aaron Judge. Bruce is showing up when he's needed and Judge looks tentative. he'll probably be more relaxed at home but it may be too late.

• Options

Great comeback tonight by the Nat's. They were on the ropes

m

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    Well the Yankees didn't have any problems with any of Klubers pitches. today.

>

Starting pitchers are having problems in a lot of these games . Not sure whats going on , it seems contagious ;)

• Options

for Kluber, it was a matter of just having a bad outing since being virtually spectacular since early August. I liken it to a Team in any sport with a long winning streak, it gets harder to win the longer it goes on. the biggest problem for all the pitchers now is that the Teams are really good, the hitters more patient and there seems more guys unwilling to pitch-to-contact, everyone wants to be a strike-out power pitcher. that equates to using a fastball that's usually in the zone and a slider that isn't along with a change-up. with a little discipline the batters can wait things out and get a "mistake" to hit.

Kluber admitted his problem was control, something he normally doesn't struggle with.

• Options

while everyone seems to be obsessed with re-playing the Chisenhall at bat, what is overlooked is what will probably be the key to the game today and any subsequent games if necessary, the Yankees BullPen.

all the MLB sports world was buzzing after the WildCard game about the vaunted New York 'pen and how they could dominate the playoffs and start a new trend in baseball, but look what happened. the pitchers were over extended on a Tuesday, unavailable on two days later on Thursday and less effective on the third day of Friday. tonight is an elimination game which means all hands on deck in the BullPen.

even if guys like Green, Robertson, Betances and Chapman are effective today they will be unavailable or less effective on Monday and if used both days probably unavailable at all for game five if needed. that bodes not very well for the Yankees. that puts a lot of pressure on Tanaka to get at least to the 5th-6th inning without trouble, so this should be another good game.

I wonder how much of an effect playing in Yankee Stadium with a shorter right field porch will have on the game?? look for guys like Bruce, Kipnis, Santana, Ramirez, Brantley, Lindor and Chisenhall to be starting with only two right handed batters starting and I'd expect a few HR's early, it is almost inevitable.

as always, though, anything may happen so Tanaka might dominate. I just don't expect it to be a good day to be a Yankee fan.

• Options

Tanaka dominated and so did Chapman. Now Girardi has everyone else in the bullpen fully rested. Chapman can go an inning, everyone else can do multiple innings.

9 out of 10 times Judge catches that Kipnis "triple". He did it all year. I thought it was an error. Tough play, but all year he made those plays. He needs to step up.

Cleveland is not as good as last years team.

• Options

@dbtunr said:
    Tanaka dominated and so did Chapman. Now Girardi has everyone else in the bullpen fully rested. Chapman can go an inning, everyone else can do multiple innings.

9 out of 10 times Judge catches that Kipnis "triple". He did it all year. I thought it was an error. Tough play, but all year he made those plays. He needs to step up.

Cleveland is not as good as last years team.

Judge also took a homer away from Lindor. Ramirez not hitting has hurt Cleveland. He has been a hole in the lineup

m

• Options

looks like a rain out today. Bauer gets to pitch on a full days rest and the Yanks bullpen will be 100% tomorrow

• Options
    edited October 9, 2017 5:44PM

@dbtunr said:
    looks like a rain out today. Bauer gets to pitch on a full days rest and the Yanks bullpen will be 100% tomorrow

If so that is a break for Cleveland. Yankees were nice favorites over Tomlin and his 5.00 era. Yankees have yet to hit Bauer in 2017. I like his demeanor a lot

• I see that they started Bauer over Tomlin tonight on three days rest . I really couldn't see them starting Tomlin in this series. But Bauer on short rest is risky

mark

• Options

Yanks all over Bauer and he's gone after 1 2/3 innings. Severino needs to give them 6. I think it was a mistake to pitch Bauer on 3 days rest. Tito made them same mistake in last years post season. You need to use 4 starters in these series and give the starters normal or extra rest.

Judge stepped up with a big hit.

• Options

Severino gave them 6 innings and 3 runs. He did his job. The bullpen needs to come through now. The Yanks have left way too many runners on base.

• Options

admittedly i watched very little baseball in the reg season, but im starting to warm up now.

has strasburg been this filthy all season? i'd be willing to bet there are some Cubbie hitters who need to change their britches after those wicked 3-2 changeups.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strasburg has had a terrific season..not every outing has been Strasburgesque but he's been dominant more often then not.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

fat man has good stuff thus far

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    fat man has good stuff thus far

Sabathia looks the best he has looked all year. Kluber is having control problems. Just give us 3 more innings CC. Just 3 more

• Options

I went away for 3-4 days and come back to this. since the extra inning win last Friday the Indians have climbed into a shell that they can open up and come out of next spring. they had a nice run but this season is over. very disappointing is the best thing I can say. after over-achieving in the playoffs last season they under-achieved this year.

as a fan, I am embarrassed for my Team.

• Options

it's not over yet.

• Options

This season, for the most part, Sabathia has been either spot on or terrible. Tonight he is the former.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Great game.

mark

• Options

Don't agree with this call by Girardi with Chapman for 2 innings. 1 inning he is lights out. 2, not so much

• Options

That was one epic at bat.

• Options

@grote15 said:
    That was one epic at bat.

one of the best i have ever seen

• Options

I can't believe Cleveland won over 100 games. 2 errors in the 9th inning. Their outfield is garbage. Bruce stunk for the Mets. Kipnis throws like a girl. I'm not sure Chapman can pitch the ninth. He's been sitting for 30 minutes. So who closes for the Yanks?

• Options

TAKE HIM OUT!!!

• Options

Easy peasy.

• Options

wheeeeehhh. Bring on Houston. I like the Yanks chances against them. The Yanks have owned Verlander

• Options
    edited October 11, 2017 10:26PM

@dbtunr said:
    wheeeeehhh. Bring on Houston. I like the Yanks chances against them. The Yanks have owned

What? How so? Regular season? Playoffs? What time span? I have nothing but great memories of him against the Yankees. He is 2-0 life time against the Yanks in the playoffs right? I think only one team has owned Verlander the years and that's Cleveland. Did he face the Yankees with Houston this year? I think he is 7-0 since joining the Astro's.

If anything Verlander has great memories against NY helping eliminating the Yankees in 2006, 2011 and 2012. Detroit and Verlander have owned the Yankees in the playoffs over his career. I'm sure he's personally glad to see the Yankees as opposed to Cleveland.

I looked at the Yankees lifetime vs Verlander. Pedestrian

Anyways enjoy your victory over Cleveland. You deserve it. Maybe you will beat Verlander for the first time in the playoffs.

mark