Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Dipping Copper Nickel

Has anyone had any experience with trying to dip dark British copper nickel in order to restore the luster? I suppose silver coin dip, or maybe ammonia could be used. I was thinking of experimenting on some junk coin, but was wondering if anyone here had tried before.

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please be careful. I would suggest trying out ammonia on junk coins as you say. I have gotten this to work by using an ammonia 1:1 diluted with water, and tamp with a Q-tip on the surface (NOT rubbing) and liberally washing with gentle detergent and then LOTS of water with tamp dry with high nap white cotton towel. It may not be salvageable, but dip like EZ est, etc. not at all good on these....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one thing I have noticed in the few times I've done it is to rinse in cold water..not warm as it seems to induce that golden toning.

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Thanks all, I have a Churchill to practice on, will let you know how it goes.

• Options

The Churchill came out nice, and the "good" coin is soaking now and looks fine so far. I'll try pictures tonight, but I 'm operating off just an I-Phone and have had no luck with uploading from that to these boards.

• Options

Yes, do let us know and what exactly went in your witch's brew...LOL

• Options
    RMWRMW Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Ah yes, the DARK arts

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

You won't know if you are successful until some time has passed....to see if it turns golden!

@Elmhurst said:
    The Churchill came out nice, and the "good" coin is soaking now and looks fine so far. I'll try pictures tonight, but I 'm operating off just an I-Phone and have had no luck with uploading from that to these boards.

• Options

I used the recommended 1:1 ammonia water solution, and washed well with cold water, as recommended. The second coin came out well but still has some darker area, but no complaints as it was deep charcoal grey originally. The Churchill was not as near as dark so it did better. Will let them sit out for a week and see if there is any change.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS-70 works great on copper-nickel and seems is less harsh that the products mentioned above. :wink:

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

Post some pics.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options

S. Rhodesia 2 Shilling, before and after...

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinCrazyPA said:
    Post some pics.

You forgot to say "Pretty Please."

• Options
    RMWRMW Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Or, abracadabra

• Options

Hmmm, not bad and about what I've seen. EZest will really cook brown a copper nickel in my experience, so stay away from that.

• Options

Thanks all for your input. The picture of the coin before the dip makes it look much better than it was. It shows brown with underlying luster, but in hand this was dead dark grey. The after is pretty close to the outcome. So much for the camera on the I-phone.