Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

When was the last time you traded cards ... IN PERSON?

Trading cards in person is definitely a lost art. The last time I remember trading in person was perhaps 3-4 years ago during a flip quest. I've done several through the mail, but none recently.

How about you and what was it?

Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!

Comments

• Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

I trade with my kids from time to time. i definitely make it out in their favor ;) I also visited a card shop 3-4 months ago where I traded a raw EXMT 83 Topps Gwynn for about 20 1960s raw cards that I needed to fill holes in sets. Traded at shows as well.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike
  • Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

I have done many and typically they are cards + cash for something I want to upgrade

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Carlos Slim, Telemex board room, Mexico City

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a friend from childhood that I see every few months, and trades happen every time. Usually, we've exchanged want lists ahead of time, so we bring those cards to the deal, plus whatever extras we've come up with from random lots we've purchased or cards that we've upgraded that we suspect the other guy may be interested in. If a trade is lopsided that time, it usually works out in the other's favor the next time.

I met a guy at the Royals game, and agreed to meet him at the stadium the next time we were both there and I traded him some stadium giveaways that I had - an Alex Gordon bobblehead, a Rusty Kuntz bobblehead, and a 2015 World Series Championship trophy for some really nice raw cards, including a 1963 Topps baseball #1 Batting Leaders, a 1968 Steve Carlton, and about 50 other really nice commons and semi stars from 65-67. That was in May.

Last year, I pulled off my biggest trade since the 80s. I'm not sure I'll be able to remember it all or do it justice, but it was massive. I got a very nice condition, uniform throughout, raw 1972 Topps complete baseball set (the Ryan was the worst card in there, and I already owned several examples that would upgrade it). I got around 400 NRMT raw 1970 baseball commons and semis. I upgraded around 30 raw 1971 baseball commons for my set. I got 5 1972 PSA 9 Royals, including Patek, Mayberry, and #638 Wright, a handful of 1975 PSA 9 commons that were upgrades for my registry set, and a 1973 PSA 9 Cookie Rojas, plus a number of random raw commons from the late 70s that I needed for sets.

In return, I included $500 cash, and I had to give up a number of really nice raw 71 baseball stars, including Bench, Rose, and Concepcion, as well as some 71 high numbers. I also gave up quite a few 1975 PSA 9s, including several of the MVP cards. There were other really nice cards included on my end, but I'm really struggling to remember everything that I had to cut loose of (I'm underrepresenting, but it was quite a few items), probably because it was all considered expendable to me at the time. Whatever it was, I considered the deal to be fair and in no way lopsided or a steal. A lot of nice items changed hands that day. I actually came into contact with that guy through eBay. I bought a few cards from him, discovered we live about 30 miles apart, and began corresponding a bit about our collections, and discovered we had the workable pieces to make a deal happen. It was a tremendous afternoon of fun, for sure, trying to work it all out.

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

@bishop said:
    Carlos Slim, Telemex board room, Mexico City

Now I'm curious Al...what did you trade and what did you get in return??

• Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

Never :(

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

Geez... Over 30 years ago.

THANKS FOR MAKING ME FEEL OLD!

;)

• Options
    Mickey MaysMickey Mays Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

• Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

I have a buddy that lives in Port St. Lucie who is a big Cubs fan.

I will stop by and see him from time to time when I drive from Jacksonville to South Florida and drop off some Cubbies stuff. In exchange, he will throw a care package together from his collection to provide in return.

Neither of us know what is coming but we each walk away thanking each other for the great additions to the collection.

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

1998 was the last in person trade I remember.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably back in the early 90's. A local shop,now gone, had a policy where you would trade 2 of your commons for 1 of his that you needed.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Last month, traded some autographed baseballs (i know,not really cards) for some highly coveted PSA 10's for my Chipper Jones and Tony Gwynn sets.

• Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭

Mike

LOL not that long ago Mike.

• Options
    Tere1071Tere1071 Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited September 13, 2017 7:47PM

1976 when I was 15 years old and the other party was about 12. I got my first Clemente rookie in the trade. The bizarre thing was that his parents were having an argument over the father's cheating on the mom while we were trading. I felt very uncomfortable. The father came out that his son and suggested that his son and I could become friends and get together for more trading, but I never went back.

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

the 80s probably

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

Either 2004 or 2005. It was with somebody I had met on the now defunct Trader Retreat who happened to live less than 20 minutes from me.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

In 2010 I traded with a shop, if that counts.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Couple of 92 Stadium Club series 1 baseball boxes for a 84 D Joe Carter, 85 Topps Football set(black border beauties), 82 Topps Ripken. Still have the 85 set.