Home Sports Talk

The Patriots 19-0 Perfect Season discussion lasted 3 hrs..

seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
edited September 7, 2017 9:30PM in Sports Talk

Wow. I havent heard that stadium so quiet....I will say the players themselves didn't really take part in the discussion of a perfect season to the cameras. Just the fans, writers, talk-shows etc wouldn't stop about the 19-0 greatness, weeks before the season even began. With every off season acquisition.
Even after KC's rookie RB fumbled his first play. Couldn't have started worst. Then Kareem Hunts 246 total yds and 3 TDs and Alex Smiths 4 TDs later....

..Its just one game. Doesn't change anything in odds of who ends where this year. But just glad i don't have to hear it for another week longer.....let the season begin!!!!

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image

Comments

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a shocker!

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2017 7:19AM

KC kicked Patriot butt

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice road win.
    I hope New Englands' defense struggles like that all year long.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@Darin said:
    Nice road win.

The only good news for me is I had Kareem Hunt going for me in Fanasty . Racked up 47.5 points. Kareem for President

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

People still watch the NFL?

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I fell asleep before the end because the pregame was so long and dismal . I heard on talk radio that they gave up at the end . Brady looked ok from what I saw , but the defense gave up some huge plays and hightower is already injured .

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was definitely a butt whooping on NE. I'm not too worried about the Pats offense getting on track but their defense didn't look good at all,especially the linebacker unit. They got gashed in the run game while the KC backfield beat them all over the field in the passing game. I do think NE's front office needs to go find some more bodies for the WR & LB position. On offense they've already lost Edelman & Mitchell longterm while Amendola hopefully won't miss much time with his concussion. Then on defense they lost one starter at linebacker in McClellin who is out for the year while Hightower,their best defender,had a knee injury that kept him off the field for most of this game. They need to add bodies just for the depth alone.
    Not a good start to this season especially on defense and with playing the Saints in NO next week it won't be getting any easier for them.

@garnettstyle said:

Ah...YES! It's the ONLY sport I watch the whole season. I watch some playoffs of Baseball and Basketball and most of the finals, And no hockey at all.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

first games a peculiar and a hard way to get a read on a Team. years ago it was the habit of the Bengals to put emphasis on the first game of the season. they often came out of the blocks like world beaters, only to faulter and end up with a losing season.

as much as it pains me to say so, I expect that Belichick will sleep at the practice facility until he gets it right. the result will probably be a typical 12-4 finish, strong at the end and a nice run through the playoffs. he is a driven genius at coaching.

@keets said:
    first games a peculiar and a hard way to get a read on a Team. years ago it was the habit of the Bengals to put emphasis on the first game of the season. they often came out of the blocks like world beaters, only to faulter and end up with a losing season.

as much as it pains me to say so, I expect that Belichick will sleep at the practice facility until he gets it right. the result will probably be a typical 12-4 finish, strong at the end and a nice run through the playoffs. he is a driven genius at coaching.

I totally agree.

• seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

@keets said:

most likely you're right, just don't have to put up with the 19-0 talk ...now we can get back to some football...and proves to other teams that they are beatable

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I forgot they were on. I guess i didn't miss much. More interested in baseball this time of year anyways.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad the undefeated nonsense got right out of the way!

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the Pats were instead the Browns or Jags of recent years, talk of a perfect season (0-19) would still be going on :)

Probably not a bad thing for NE to lose game 1 and avoid the 19-0 nonsense.

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@Darin said:
    Nice road win.

The only good news for me is I had Kareem Hunt going for me in Fanasty . Racked up 47.5 points. Kareem for President

m

It was blind, stupid luck that I decided to insert him in my starting lineup yesterday morning. 48.5 points was a VERY nice surprise. Barely caught any of the game as I got caught up in a series of documentaries detailing the Laci Peterson murder. That was big news around here - Modesto's only about 30 minutes away from me.

I agree with Paul - this removes whatever pressure there might have been to go after an undefeated season. I don't think this hurts NE at all.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

NE defense looked weak. Brady looked off. This might be a great season, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@garnettstyle said:

Ah...YES! It's the ONLY sport I watch the whole season. I watch some playoffs of Baseball and Basketball and most of the finals, And no hockey at all.

I never missed a NFL game in the 70's and 80's and up until the late 90's. The game has changed so much though I now only watch the Super Bowl and a select few playoff games.

Ratings keep going down and these disrespecting, spoiled players are not helping.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

the NFL is too hard for me to watch anymore, there are just too many rules which depend on an officials interpretation of what has taken place. the tipping point was insertion of the term FOOTBALL MOVE that pushed me over the edge. I find College much more fun to watch.

@keets said:
    the NFL is too hard for me to watch anymore, there are just too many rules which depend on an officials interpretation of what has taken place. the tipping point was insertion of the term FOOTBALL MOVE that pushed me over the edge. I find College much more fun to watch.

Yes, the FOOTBALL MOVE Bryant made when he CAUGHT the ball at the 15.turned and ran 15 yards with the ball and went down at the goal line....and it was called a no catch! Yah....I kinda don't like that one either!!!!

@DIMEMAN said:

@keets said:

Yes, the FOOTBALL MOVE Bryant made when he CAUGHT the ball at the 15.turned and ran 15 yards with the ball and went down at the goal line....and it was called a no catch! Yah....I kinda don't like that one either!!!!

Yeah, but that never happened

m

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@keets said:

m

If it didn't happen....how did he get from the 15 to to goal line. HE TOOK STEPS THAT'S HOW!!!

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@keets said:

m

If it didn't happen....how did he get from the 15 to to goal line. HE TOOK STEPS THAT'S HOW!!!

It's not like Dallas is ever going to amount to anything unless Jerry Jones kicks the bucket, its therefore a moot point.

Lets talk more about  how the patriots were looking past KC   and it came  back to bite them in the ass.    

The 7 hour long banner masturbation ceremony didn't impress the away team so hopefully they never do that again . The only upside to the ceremony was it put me to sleep by the middle of the 3rd quarter and I missed the ugliest part.

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@keets said:

m

By rule, no catch. Refs got it right.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@keets said:

m

Ref's blew it big time. He caught the ball at the 15........never juggling it at all.......went down at the goal.

HOW IS THAT NOT A CATCH......COME ON MAN!!!!!!

:)

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@keets said:

m

Ref's blew it big time. He caught the ball at the 15........never juggling it at all.......went down at the goal.

Typing in all caps with exclamation points doesn't change the fact that by rule it was not a catch. Refs got it correct and league office confirmed same.

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@keets said:

m

Typing in all caps with exclamation points doesn't change the fact that by rule it was not a catch. Refs got it correct and league office confirmed same.

All I can say is that if you:
    catch the ball at the 15
    change directions to keep from going out of bounds
    take steps down field
    never juggle the ball
    and go down at the goal

and that is not a catch........there is something wrong with the rule! What part of the rule of a catch did he not do!!!!

edited September 10, 2017 11:37AM

You clearly don't agree with the rule but that is different from a case where the rule was not correctly applied to make the call on the field.

Not suprisingly, your summary of what happened is also not correct, either. Perhaps Mark can explain it to you.

maybe someone can explain it to me.

@grote15 said:
    You clearly don't agree with the rule but that is different from a case where the rule was not correctly applied to make the call on the field.

Not suprisingly, your summary of what happened is also not correct, either. Perhaps Mark can explain it to you.

So what item on my list did he not do?????

edited September 10, 2017 1:47PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

So what item on my list did he not do?????

Most importantly,Bryant was not in full control of the ball after he tumbled down after making the catch. The ball clearly touched the ground on his way down. Further, he also did not "take steps" down the field after securing the ball after making the catch. His momentum is what brought him downfield before he had an opportunity to secure the ball and make a football move both of which, by rule, are required in order for a reception to be made. The league office confirmed this numerous times afterwards. You may think the rule is silly or that it doesn't make sense, but that is the rule and it's the official's responsibility to apply the rule as it stands, not to opine as to whether the rule makes sense or not.

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@keets said:

m

catch the ball at the 15
    take steps down field
    never juggle the ball
    and go down at the goal

and that is not a catch........there is something wrong with the rule! What part of the rule of a catch did he not do!!!!

First off he first touched the ball at the 4 yard line. I stopped there

mark

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@keets said:

m

catch the ball at the 15
    take steps down field
    never juggle the ball
    and go down at the goal

First off he first touched the ball at the 4 yard line. I stopped there

mark

LOL, I didn't even notice that error..

I just watched it again and yes it was the 4 or 5 where he caught it. There was no bobbling or juggling and he traveled 12 to 15 feet taking steps......so yes it was a catch. And I would say that no matter who the player was. I am not making this an issue because it was against the Cowboys. Anybody that this happens to is getting the shaft on a bad call!

edited September 10, 2017 2:42PM

Dumb rule. They had no choice but to overturn the call.

mark

Agree the rule is dumb and that the refs had no choice but the rule it was not a catch. The rule should be changed.

is there a video someone can link??

And it's important to remember that the play was called a catch on the field. They overturned it based on this video. Why? Because they had no choice and it was conclusive. The rule is on the books. Blame the rule not the call.

mark

They had it right the first time!

@DIMEMAN said:

No, they didn't. That's why the call was reversed in the first place.

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

No, they didn't. That's why the call was reversed in the first place.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this. :)

having never seen it before and based only on the video linked above, I would have to agree with Mark. the ball appeared to hit the ground as he rolled at the one-yard line and he didn't yet have control as evidenced by the fact that he's juggling the ball as he rights himself in the end zone.

I assume other camera angles showed that. to my way of thinking and my "probably not understand the rules" anymore, if he had hit the ground with the ball and controlled it the catch should have been awarded. since he bobbled it after he came up I would say that the ground helped the ball stay in his hands.

incomplete pass.

He had taken steps and was a runner and the ground cannot cause a fumble, which he controlled anyway.

Catch and run all the way!!!

Still not what happened and that's why it was over turned.

mark

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alex Smith came to play. All we heard in KC was how Patrick Mahomes should be the starting quarterback. Didn't hear much about that afterwards,

@pocketpiececommems said:
    Alex Smith came to play. All we heard in KC was how Patrick Mahomes should be the starting quarterback. Didn't hear much about that afterwards,

Kind of like when the Patriots drafted Jimmy G Brady's game picked up?

Texans were supposed to be a walkover ......... and at home yet. looks like the Texans might finally have a QB that might stick around a bit though

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    Texans were supposed to be a walkover ......... and at home yet. looks like the Texans might finally have a QB that might stick around a bit though

Yup,Watson played great. Texans finally look like they have their QB of the future.