Home Sports Talk
Options

Yet another overpaid whining idiot.......

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

IF YOU CAN'T STAND UP AND RESPECT OUR COUNTRY AND FLAG FOR THE NA..........

LEAVE AND GO SOMEWHERE ELSE......YOU ARE TAKING UP SPACE.....AND WE DON'T NEED A POC LIKE YOU HERE!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2017 6:57AM

Agree.. ANY FB player not standing in support of the country they live in and make money in should simply rot. LEAVE DUMBASSES. All they do is bring more hate,,, cuz I HATE some 'things' more than I did before they started that annoying stuff. Non US supporters living here ? Serious.. it makes things worse and they know it.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

NFL died the day that Tom Landry was unceremoniously fired.

You guys are grasping for pieces of a broken dream.

• Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

If Tom Brady encounters a very painful for hours unrepairable broken hip I will like football again. Until that happens, the above stands. (and stands after that actually :) ) I seriously want the non US standers to leave the country.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2017 12:57PM

Totally agree with dimeman.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love my country. One of the great things about it is the freedom of self expression. I'm beginning to care less and less on this issue

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    I love my country. One of the great things about it is the freedom of self expression. I'm beginning to care less and less on this issue

mark

I'm for freedom of self expression as long as it doesn't hurt or offend others. When you disrespect the Flag you are dishonoring all the men and women who have fought and/or died for our country. That is the reason you have freedom and have it so good...so show some respect!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

100% agreed! Kap started this and will hopefully never get another shot at the NFL because of it, the rest of these guys need to be sent home and cut.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

I'm for freedom of self expression as long as it doesn't hurt or offend others. When you disrespect the Flag you are dishonoring all the men and women who have fought and/or died for our country. That is the reason you have freedom and have it so good...so show some respect!

I don't see it this way neither do a lot of vets.

Anyways I respect your right to be pissed off. I get it. I really do

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Failing to stand for the Flag doesn't actually hurt anyone. I understand that you and many others are offended, but imo there's a whole lot more important things to get upset about. Your opinion is that he's disrespecting the Flag, but many don't share your view, and many of those are veterans like myself. The same freedoms you refer to in your last sentence not only apply to these men, but also the KKK and neo-Nazis that marched in Charlottesville. You want something to be offended about? Direct your wrath there. However, if you defend those types of people and their rights to speak as they choose, then I believe you must likewise defend and respects the rights of athletes to use their unique national platform to peacefully take a (ahem) stand.

• Options

@TNP777 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Failing to stand for the Flag doesn't actually hurt anyone. I understand that you and many others are offended, but imo there's a whole lot more important things to get upset about. Your opinion is that he's disrespecting the Flag, but many don't share your view, and many of those are veterans like myself. The same freedoms you refer to in your last sentence not only apply to these men, but also the KKK and neo-Nazis that marched in Charlottesville. You want something to be offended about? Direct your wrath there. However, if you defend those types of people and their rights to speak as they choose, then I believe you must likewise defend and respects the rights of athletes to use their unique national platform to peacefully take a (ahem) stand.

I completely agree with you (TNP777) The KKK and neo-Nazis and any organization like that make me sick and should not be allowed to exist! Those people that participate in those tactics should be deported. There is no place in this country for people like that!!

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

I'm for freedom of self expression as long as it doesn't hurt or offend others.

You're kidding, right? We should never, ever express anything that would offend someone else? Seriously? And who decides what's offensive? The person hearing you? What if they're not your intended recipient and just overhear? What if you stub your toe and say "Goddammit" to no one but are overheard by someone that's offended? Some people get offended by things like having their names mispronounced - should we limit the expression of the person mispronouncing their name?

• Options

It's real simple we all know what's right and wrong about expressing yourself, if you want to hate or love anything it's your right but there is no need to advertise it to the world. These scumbags that are sitting during for the flag are using their spotlight on national tv to advertise their beliefs and should not be allowed to do so. And just because a few veterans here don't mind doesn't mean it's ok. Try to sell that "it's OK" thing at Arlington cemetery

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 2 cents...I'm a Vietnam Veteran, got my share of awards including a Bronze Star. Buried my best friend in Greenville, South Carolina and know a few names on the wall in DC. It was a very long year of my life and I was lucky to come home after a year in the 1st Infantry Division.

These overpaid losers have done nothing for their country but complain. They should leave the country and move to somewhere that will make them happier, perhaps a Communist Country would make them happier, I'm thinking maybe North Korea.

If you haven't served in a war zone, buried friends and sacrificed, you have no clue how really precious your freedom is. The flag is representative of all those untold sacrifices...to disrespect it is to spit on all those who died for this country.

Lai Khe, Can Tho, DiAn, Bien Hoa, Vietnam, 1969-1970.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    My 2 cents...I'm a Vietnam Veteran, got my share of awards including a Bronze Star. Buried my best friend in Greenville, South Carolina and know a few names on the wall in DC. It was a very long year of my life and I was lucky to come home after a year in the 1st Infantry Division.

These overpaid losers have done nothing for their country but complain. They should leave the country and move to somewhere that will make them happier, perhaps a Communist Country would make them happier, I'm thinking maybe North Korea.

If you haven't served in a war zone, buried friends and sacrificed, you have no clue how really precious your freedom is. The flag is representative of all those untold sacrifices...to disrespect it is to spit on all those who died for this country.

Lai Khe, Can Tho, DiAn, Bien Hoa, Vietnam, 1969-1970.

I TOTALLY AGREE!!! Thank you for your service. I have a cousin on the wall in D.C..

Bien Hoa, Siagon Vietam, 1967-1968 The Tet Offensive broke out when I had about 20 days to go.

• Options

Went to a drive in movie with my parents when I was 8 or 9. Viet Nam War was getting going and when the National Anthem was announced, a uniformed soldier got out of the next car, stood ramrod straight and saluted the flag.

Some veterans care about the flag and others don't. I stand for the anthem out of respect for those that do.

NFL brand has progressively become less uniform. Tats and dreadlocks and a patch on the shoulder for every one that kicks the bucket. Player want s to piss on the country that made him a multimillionaire, good and well. Don't bellyache though when no other team wants to sign your Pinko butt.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

_ a patch on the shoulder for every one that kicks the bucket._

Nice compassionate response there, Glicker...

Frankly speaking, these protests wouldn't even be noticed if it weren't for the media obsessing and focusing on them ad nauseam.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dimeman...first, Thank You for your service as well. Sad to see so many names on that wall. Several of my OCS buddies didn't make it, such good guys, gone way too young.

I too was based in Saigon for the last 4 months of my tour after we redeployed the 1st Infantry Division back to Ft Riley, KS.

Lived in a BOQ along the road Charlie used in the Tet Offensive. Spent a little time at the Vietnamese Officer's club and pool near Tan Son Nhut air base. How crazy to be able to swim up and buy a Jack and water for a quarter with MPC, while hearing the B-52 raids in the distance! Like the Twilight Zone. We had chicken wire surrounding the building up to the 3rd floor to hopefully counter any hand grenades. Charlie decided to rocket Saigon my last few days to go...I sat on the John sandwiched between to concrete walls and read "HawaII". The windows rattled a little, but more of an annoyance. Crazy times that perhaps only you and I could understand.

God, how sweet that Continental Airlines 707 looked on November 7th, 1970!! And, to see the coast line of California again!!

WELCOME HOME BROTHER!

Al

• Options

Al - great story. I was a guard at Tan Son Nhut air base during Tet. They (Charlie) try'd to take Siagon by massive numbers. It didn't work out well for them. They tried coming across the air strip field where we had a 1,000 yard cleared out kill zone. They rushed 100,000 if I remember correctly and none of them made it across. We had some serious man power and weapons lined up for them. Everytime I see a Vietnam war movie it all comes back.

WELCOME HOME BACK AT YA!

• Options
    edited September 9, 2017 11:09AM

@perkdog said:
    And just because a few veterans here don't mind doesn't mean it's ok. Try to sell that "it's OK" thing at Arlington cemetery

Paul, I understand the point you're making and applaud your passion and patriotism. But you can't possibly take an entertainment stage like professional sports and compare it to hallowed ground like Arlington. The only things they have in common is the presence of the Flag and the presence of people. Might as well throw my front yard in. It's often got a Flag and people in it, too. Apologies for the sarcastic tone, but imo it's more than a bit laughable to compare the two.

I think Tim said it best: this would not be the issue it is if the media had not seized on it and blown it up. People seem to forget that Kaep was quietly kneeling at least a couple weeks before someone in the media noticed it.

• Options

You have the right to protest and should have that right, but do it on your own time and dime! Be advised there might be consequences.

If I owned a team ANYONE who refused to stand for the anthem would be traded or cut. That would be my right.

I thank those of you who served.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    You have the right to protest and should have that right, but do it on your own time and dime! Be advised there might be consequences.

If I owned a team ANYONE who refused to stand for the anthem would be traded or cut. That would be my right.

Exactly. This "protest" BS is costing the NFL real money, and the smart owners are insisting, or soon will, that everyone stand respectfully during the anthem and not allow any violator to suit up for either the game when he knelt, or the next game. Anyone who uses the word "right" to describe these "protests" has zero understanding of what that word means. When you are being paid, your one and only right is the right to do as you are told. If you don't want to do what you are told to do, you quit.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2017 5:42PM

I find it interesting that there is zero discussion about why these athletes are choosing to kneel or sit. It's easy to sit behind a keyboard and rage and thump your patriotic chest about how much you love the Flag and how disrespectful these athletes are towards the military (which has NEVER been part of what they're protesting), but not a ****ing bleep about the injustices they see and experience. How many people of color are posting here? How many here have experienced institutional racism? How many have been subjected to any discrimination? I sure haven't.

I'm a white dude (and I'm going to guess that the vast majority here are likewise white dudes) which has allowed me to slide through life without ever having been profiled, or asked for my ID, or pulled over, or glanced at with fear or suspicion, or subjected to racist jokes, or otherwise been judged or treated differently because of my skin color. And yet y'all get on your soapboxes and yell about an athlete who you think is disrespecting a piece of red, white and blue cloth and give ZERO weight to what these people of color are upset about. A symbolic piece of cloth seems more important than actual human beings that are experience lying a different America than you. "Get out of the country if you can't respect the flag." "Go to a Communist country." Really? Who the HELL do you think you are? Are you so narrow-minded that you think everyone else's idea of what it means to be an American has to fit in your little box?

God bless America, but only the part of America that agrees with me and doesn't offend my brand of morality and self-righteousness. That part of America, the pinkos and the Communists and the protestors and the ones who don't worship the Flag like I do, they should just gtfo.

• Options

@TNP777 said:
    I find it interesting that there is zero discussion about why these athletes are choosing to kneel or sit. It's easy to sit behind a keyboard and rage and thump your patriotic chest about how much you love the Flag and how disrespectful these athletes are towards the military (which has NEVER been part of what they're protesting), but not a ****ing bleep about the injustices they see and experience. How many people of color are posting here? How many here have experienced institutional racism? How many have been subjected to any discrimination? I sure haven't.

I'm a white dude (and I'm going to guess that the vast majority here are likewise white dudes) which has allowed me to slide through life without ever having been profiled, or asked for my ID, or pulled over, or glanced at with fear or suspicion, or subjected to racist jokes, or otherwise been judged or treated differently because of my skin color. And yet y'all get on your soapboxes and yell about an athlete who you think is disrespecting a piece of red, white and blue cloth and give ZERO weight to what these people of color are upset about. A symbolic piece of cloth seems more important than actual human beings that are experience lying a different America than you. "Get out of the country if you can't respect the flag." "Go to a Communist country." Really? Who the HELL do you think you are? Are you so narrow-minded that you think everyone else's idea of what it means to be an American has to fit in your little box?

God bless America, but only the part of America that agrees with me and doesn't offend my brand of morality and self-righteousness. That part of America, the pinkos and the Communists and the protestors and the ones who don't worship the Flag like I do, they should just gtfo.

I am not blind to the problem that we have in this country, but disrespecting the Flag and Country is not the answer.

• Options

@grote15 said:

We have all buried people that we care about without pinning a patch on our damn shoulder. The best team sport of the second half of the last century has become the sport of wimps.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2017 6:22PM

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

We have all buried people that we care about without pinning a patch on our damn shoulder. The best team sport of the second half of the last century has become the sport of wimps.

First it was the rants about wristbands and socks. now it's patches. You sound quite cranky, Glicker, lol. I bet you walked to school uphill...both ways...when you were a kid, too.

Yet you must still be quite interested in this so-called wimpy sport considering how often you post about it here...kind of an ironic twist, there. ;)

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TNP777 said:

Oh gosh, institutional racism. Here we go again. Maybe you should bring up white privilege as well. Good grief. What it boils down to are a bunch of pampered, prima Donna athletes who want to be noticed. Ignore them and they will go away.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

First it was the rants about wristbands and socks. now it's patches. You sound quite cranky, Glicker, lol. I bet you walked to school uphill...both ways...when you were a kid, too.

Yet you must still be quite interested in this so-called wimpy sport considering how often you post about it here...kind of an ironic twist, there. ;)

I can't watch football anymore. Caught about 10 minutes of Michigan / Cinci when it was a 3 point game. That was plenty for the weekend.

7 MPH Hurricane is much more interesting.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't watch as much football as I used to ever since I quit betting on it over 20 years ago. And the games I do watch I enjoy more. Due to having nothing riding on the outcome.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@TNP777 said:

Everyone knows WHY these guys are protesting.

I say they can protest if they choose to. BUT others also have the right to protest them in their choice as to how, when and where they do it.

I am not saying "get out of this country if you don't respect the flag" but I don't have to agree with that particular form of protest either.

NFL owners should grow some and inform their employees that they can protest in other ways. Not standing for the anthem is not acceptable and will result in termination.

• Options

Bottom line is that I have no use for anyone that disrespects the Flag...our Country.....and the NA!

Get out ...... you are taking up space.

And those that burn the Flag under the guise of "Freedom of Speech" had better thank their lucky stars that I am not in charge of your punishment!

When our founding fathers wrote the 1st amendment they were not giving the OK to burn the Flag. I blame the judges for allowing this to even be considered free speech!

Burning the Flag is Treason....period...pure and simple!

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    I don't watch as much football as I used to ever since I quit betting on it over 20 years ago. And the games I do watch I enjoy more. Due to having nothing riding on the outcome.

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

About when I quit wagering. Sure takes a lot of the excitement out of it.

• Options

My last Football bet was at the "Beginning" of the season 1995. I took Dallas and S.F. and gave the other guy the rest of the field. Dallas beat Pittsburg..... I win! :)

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

About when I quit wagering. Sure takes a lot of the excitement out of it.

But way cheaper. ;)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

I applaud who ever wrote that article. Couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you for your service whoever you are.

• Options

Geordie I respect your thoughts and also thank you for your service my friend, I'm not a veteran so I don't have a "Right" to fully judge but I am entirely in my rights to disagree with it being ok to sit. My main point about Arlington cemetery was not a comparison to a sporting venue but in all walks of life that flag is impartial to what it stands for wherever it flys, in my opinion.

• Options
    edited September 13, 2017 5:47PM

The protest against law enforcement is actually pretty stupid, African Americans are claiming racial profiling and straight up racism against them by LE correct? Well tell me why there are more minority's serving in LE right now? Why do minority's get points because of their race? Most of the videos that have gone viral over Black males getting shot I can impartially say that if these men did not resist the officers they never would have been shot, tell ya what regardless if you get questioned or pulled over and you feel your being profiled because of your skin color then comply and show your hands and file a complaint AFTER! These guys that get mouthy and refuse to comply with simple commands and then force an issue where a gun gets pulled on them are idiots. The one exception that I have seen is when the white cop fired multiple shots at the Black guy who was running away from him was absolutely wrong and the cop deserved to go to jail 100%. For the most part I think this whole topic is a media fueled frenzy and people are feeding into it way too much. I'm not thinking it is nearly as bad as people are portraying it to be, I have numerous African American, Latino friends and none of them agree with any of this crap. A lot of time It's the ones who are uneducated and unemployed that use racism as an excuse for their laziness. That being said there is no question the country has its issues, its divided right down the middle as evidenced by this last presidential race, and absolutely yes I do believe there is racism in today's society and hopefully it can correct itself soon.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    The protest against law enforcement is actually pretty stupid, African Americans are claiming racial profiling and straight up racism against them by LE correct? Well tell me why there are more minority's serving in LE right now? Why do minority's get points because of their race? Most of the videos that have gone viral over Black males getting shot I can impartially say that if these men did not resist the officers they never would have been shot, tell ya what regardless if you get questioned or pulled over and you feel your being profiled because of your skin color then comply and show your hands and file a complaint AFTER! These guys that get mouthy and refuse to comply with simple commands and then force an issue where a gun gets pulled on them are idiots. The one exception that I have seen is when the white cop fired multiple shots at the Black guy who was running away from him was absolutely wrong and the cop deserved to go to jail 100%. For the most part I think this whole topic is a frenzy fueled media thing and people are feeding into it way too much. I'm not thinking racism is nearly as bad as people think, I have numerous African American, Latino friends and none of them agree with any of this crap. It's the ones who are uneducated and unemployed that use racism as an excuse for their laziness in a lot of cases. That being said there is no question the country has its issues, its divided right down the middle as evidenced by this last presidential race, and absolutely yes I do believe there is racism in today's society and hopefully it can correct itself soon.

I totally agree. It all starts at home they way they are brought up....on both sides.

Now I see on the net that the statue of Frances Scott Key has been vandalized. When will this madness stop and those responseable be punished to the FULL extent of the law!!!!

• Options
    edited September 13, 2017 6:21PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:
    The protest against law enforcement is actually pretty stupid, African Americans are claiming racial profiling and straight up racism against them by LE correct? Well tell me why there are more minority's serving in LE right now? Why do minority's get points because of their race? Most of the videos that have gone viral over Black males getting shot I can impartially say that if these men did not resist the officers they never would have been shot, tell ya what regardless if you get questioned or pulled over and you feel your being profiled because of your skin color then comply and show your hands and file a complaint AFTER! These guys that get mouthy and refuse to comply with simple commands and then force an issue where a gun gets pulled on them are idiots. The one exception that I have seen is when the white cop fired multiple shots at the Black guy who was running away from him was absolutely wrong and the cop deserved to go to jail 100%. For the most part I think this whole topic is a frenzy fueled media thing and people are feeding into it way too much. I'm not thinking racism is nearly as bad as people think, I have numerous African American, Latino friends and none of them agree with any of this crap. It's the ones who are uneducated and unemployed that use racism as an excuse for their laziness in a lot of cases. That being said there is no question the country has its issues, its divided right down the middle as evidenced by this last presidential race, and absolutely yes I do believe there is racism in today's society and hopefully it can correct itself soon.

I totally agree. It all starts at home they way they are brought up....on both sides.

Now I see on the net that the statue of Frances Scott Key has been vandalized. When will this madness stop and those responseable be punished to the FULL extent of the law!!!!

Martin Luther King statues are vandalized from time to time. You have to find this out on page 17 of the news. 99% of all statues in the US are of white men. Of course more of them are prone to vandalism. They are everywhere. Yes all should be prosecuted the same

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

Martin Luther King statues are vandalized all the time. You have to find this out on page 17 of the news. 99% of all statues in the US are of white men. Of course more of them are prone to vandalism. They are everywhere. Yes all should be prosecuted the same

m

Mark.......I totally agree. I'm not one sided on this.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

Martin Luther King statues are vandalized all the time. You have to find this out on page 17 of the news. 99% of all statues in the US are of white men. Of course more of them are prone to vandalism. They are everywhere. Yes all should be prosecuted the same

m

Mark.......I totally agree. I'm not one sided on this.

I know.

mark