Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New British Anglo-Saxon coins

NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two new acquisitions, both are upgrades to coins I already have, and part of a strategy in which I am improving upon some of my earlier mistakes:

Eadberht, king of Northumbria 737-758
S.847B
O: EOTBEREhTVL.
R: Fantastic animal left, single pellet under tail and several pellets below feet

Aethelred I, king of Northumbria (second reign) 790-796
Moneyer: Ceolbald
S. 856 (var with "Rx" in center)
O: +AEDILRED Rx
R: +CEOLBALD

Northumbrian coins are small (~12-13 mm diameter) which is unlike the wider pennies of southern England. Early Northumbrian coins of the 8th century are generally silver and generally called sceattas, whereas later coins of the 9th century are mostly copper and called stycas.

I'm still working on my goal of one of obtaining each king and moneyer (I do believe it is possible). Getting close...

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are great, love the top one.

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Magnificent.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Vikings are landing and coming after Aethelred's coin!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    The Vikings are landing and coming after Aethelred's coin!

They are!

The first well-documented Viking raid of England occurred in 793 at Lindisfarne during the reign of Aethelred I.

It would not be the last attack.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nap has shown me different pictures of these two coins and I told him that if he passed on them -- especially the S-847B -- to let me know so I can decide on them for my own collection. I have a feeling that both would make nice additions to my own set, so I am both happy for and envious of him.

@Nap said:
    Two new acquisitions, both are upgrades to coins I already have, and part of a strategy in which I am improving upon some of my earlier mistakes:

We all start with mistakes; it's how quickly we learn from them that sets us apart from the unsuccessful collector.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    RMWRMW Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

My Canute. Common type but the moneyer must have had the arms of Thor to get a strike like this.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RMW said:
    My Canute. Common type but the moneyer must have had the arms of Thor to get a strike like this.

Great coin!!!

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    RMWRMW Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Thanks Prowler.