Home Sports Talk
Options

Why do Teams from Boston cheat and get caught --- it's happened again!!

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apparently the Yankees tipped MLB that the Red Sox were stealing signs and someone on the bench was relaying them to players on the field with an Apple Watch. Un-freakin-believable.

MLB investigated, caught them in the act and confronted the Team. The Red Sox admitted the deed. What is ridiculous about it is what was ridiculous about the Patriots cheating --- both Teams were good enough to win, better than most opponents, yet they chose to cheat anyway.

What undefensible drama!!!

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you think they are the only one's??

• Options

yes, I do, and that's what I find puzzling.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yawn

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoever the perpetrators were in the Red Sox organization who dreamt up this nonsense should be banned forever from baseball. Let's start with Farrell and clean out the rat's nest...ALL OF THEM.

The stigma, now FOREVER attached to this team, labeling them as cheaters is mind boggling. How incredibly stupid and myopic to think they'd get away with this crap is just insane. Additionally, it resurrects the stigma attached to the Patriot's team.

Play fair with the talent you have, or don't even cross the white lines. Worse yet, is that there were players who apparently accepted the stolen signs...sounds like the whole bunch, or most of them were aware of this gross lack of sportsmanship.

I can only hope for massive penalties, or forfeiture of every game, within which Red Sox cheating can be proven.

DUMB, DUMB, DUMB!!!

• Options

that's a good summary and explains why it's so remarkable. it is difficult to believe two things:
    --- that the Coach who was using the Apple watch on the bench was as high up as it went.
    --- that it apparently wasn't just 1-2 players involved.

this reminds me of the Cleveland Indians 1994 "BatGate" incident in Chicago with Albert Bell. I really don't think he needed to use a corked bat, but it was apparently common knowledge on the Team that he did have all his bats altered. add to that the participation of Teammates in stealing the confiscated bat from the Umpires Room and we reach a level of Team cheating that was probably unrivaled since 1920.

why should we be surprised that players used PED's?? it all proves, to me at least, that Baseball is indeed America's Sport since it seems to mimic our Society so well. people, led by our elected officials, find it so difficult to be honest.

• Options

Can't you just hear the chants next year? "Cheaters, cheaters, cheaters". God, what incredible STUPIDITY.

If you gotta cheat, you shouldn't compete.

FIRE THEM ALL !!!

• Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Pedrioa was the main relayer to the batter of the pitch coming. Now his career is tarnished.

Why don't they let the pitcher and catcher wear an iWatch and have the pitching coach/manager relay to both what pitch they want? Just be done with the stupid signs. Speed up the game by avoiding all those trips to the mound by the catcher.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dbtunr said:
    Pedrioa was the main relayer to the batter of the pitch coming. Now his career is tarnished.

Why don't they let the pitcher and catcher wear an iWatch and have the pitching coach/manager relay to both what pitch they want? Just be done with the stupid signs. Speed up the game by avoiding all those trips to the mound by the catcher.

Pedrioa is kind of a douche anyway. He was one of those guys that was cheering David Price during the Eck incident on the plane.

Plus it seems like when Pedroia and Price are not playing the team plays better. When they were both out they went on a run Pedrioa comes back and they start to tank.

• Options
    coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

I was at the Friday game of that series, it was an extremely entertaining game

all around collector of many fine things

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:

How incredibly stupid and myopic to think they'd get away with this crap is just insane.

Hey, they got away with Big Papi doping for how long?

Daniel
  • Options

Can you prove the doping, or is this just your opinion?

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

All teams cheat in some fashion Keets. That's a free sports education for ya right there buddy

• Options
    edited September 20, 2017 5:52PM

Didn't the Red Sox get an undisclosed fine as well as the Yankees? Non event

Oh here it is:

Commissioner Rob Manfred did not disclose the amount of the fines, other than to say the Red Sox were fined a larger amount, and said the monies would be donated to hurricane relief efforts in Florida, where both teams hold spring training.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

All teams cheat in some fashion Keets

I don't believe that.

certainly, there are probably players on every Team in every Sport that cheat, but I think that's different than the "Team" cheating. what is unique about the type of things like what the OP references is that management was involved.

one of the saddest moments in Cleveland Indians baseball history includes such an event, when management was involved in the cheating, Albert Bell and "BatGate" back around 1994. though he may have privately corked his bats, the Team got involved in the attempted theft all the way up to at least the Manager.

• Options

If you don't believe that all teams cheat but players on every team do then your going to get another free sports education. Here it is...Like it or not players represent the very team they are on! So when Albert Belle cheated so didn't the Indians, When Craig Nettles filled his bat with super balls the Yankees cheated, When Papi did steroids the Sox cheated. Simple formula

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you under the impression that sports is somehow noble or meaningful? Its just entertainment and the players and owners only motivation is the allmighty american dollar.

9$ hot dogs and $200 jerseys and towns and cities being conned into paying for stadiums go hand in hand with cheating and and collusion and covering up wife beating in an elevator.

• Options

all I'm saying --- if you guys have the reading comprehension of a 16 year old --- is that there's a difference between a player cheating without the knowledge of others and a player cheating with the help of his Teammates and Coaches.

now I can't be any clearer than that but if you need to read between the lines, go ahead. so sorry that Teams from Boston have a tendency to cheat and get caught. maybe everyone else is just smarter at it than they are.

• Options

yes the Red Sox need to become better at not getting caught. Other teams do a much better job

mark

• Options

Yea too bad Boston is the greatest sports town in the country and everyone is jealous of the Patriots lol. It's ok we will take the nonsense from the haters and laugh it off while we count our teams championships lol

• Options

:)

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Can you prove the doping, or is this just your opinion?

Well, given that he's admitted he failed a test...