Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What do you think of Topps Now?

So very open ended but I've really gotten into and enjoy the Topps Now program. I can't even imagine how much I would have loved it when I was younger. Although I wouldn't have been able to afford much of anything. I know that a lot of people are just buying up for the secondary markets but I'm a firm believer in the supply and demand model. I try to limit myself to the players and teams I follow the most, but its hard to not want to grab up all the rookie stuff coming out. Just interested what others think about what Topps is doing. Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

I don't like it. Just another "anything for a buck" gimmick.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2017 1:44PM

Credit goes to Topps.

It's like printing money.

Some 1/1s go in the 3 to 5K range. And those aint "Kelly K's"

Mike
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Easy money for topps, but they need to keep it interesting or it will die.

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

I like how Topps was pre-87 much better than I like Topps now. :p

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

The margins have to be huge compared to their regular business. I'd get one if it interests me but in general it's not for me.

• Options

I'll tell you later.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭

No like.

• Options

What do I think of Topps Now?

I don't.

#CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GeoffEighinger said:
    I don't like it. Just another "anything for a buck" gimmick.

I agree...
    But...
    I still buy some when they are about my team.
    Ugh!

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2017 7:41AM

Last year when Bartolo Colon got his home run I read about Topps Now and wanted that card. I went to buy it immediately after seeing that story but I was a day late. While looking around at the Topps site I bought two Topps Now cards out of impulse. One was for Harper, the other for Ortiz. I regretted it almost immediately. I still have the cards but I never even opened the envelope. Maybe I should.

There is probably a way for buyers to make a quick buck, but I don't think it's worth the time an energy to order them and immedately flip em (which is how most modern seems to work). To try to build a set of Topps Now would be a ridiculous investment.

• Options

I would have loved it when I went to more games and would buy a card if I saw something happen. I'm shocked UD isn't doing it for hockey.

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2017 6:52PM

Probably wouldn't spend my money on it but I do like it...Kind of cool...Saves a major moment within 24 hours and like the on-card autograph also. Impressive that they can get this done. The prices, wow. Id be broke it they had it when i was young. I was broke when i was young.

great idea....u can lock in the moment and have the only card if, say, u go to a game and witness a Judge HR with ur son. Great way to cap off the evening and the memory. And then to have him sign it.....hmmm, i like it.

It's an extravagance...an unnecessary one for me. But to each his own.

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of the sets they're making are cool.

Like the all star game sets and I do like the most recent subset of players that have reached 3000 hits.

I can't complain when one of mine was a 1/1 Ichiro.

Mike
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's become quite popular on the digital apps. Lot cheaper, too.

• Options

Good stuff here. I honestly agree with both sides. It is extravagance. But some of the TBT sets are cool and to get a card from something that happened yesterday is amazing. Appreciate the input!

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

My only experience with them is on Bunt. To be honest, at first, I didn't like them. But I found myself collecting the first cards of last season's big rookie call ups (Benintendi, Bregman, etc.). It was almost as though they were the ultimate "rookie card" as they were issued the day after they debuted. I also likied all the Big Papi stuff.

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

i find it ironic that Topps can get these "Now" cards out the next day but cant get redemptions fulfilled for months.

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how to order the COTM from Topps Now?

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayhawke said:
    Does anyone know how to order the COTM from Topps Now?

Not sure how it's "supposed" to be done, but if you go to the search bar and type in the month, e.g. September, it will come up.

Alex Relyea

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

Thank you. I tried and I got a swing and miss message. Maybe the card is not for presale yet.