Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

British Honduras ?

I was looking into collecting some British Colonial coins and thought about British Honduras, but found that the pre WW II issues go for big money in high grades. Seems high for a small place with a small population...and the bank notes (pre independance), go for astronomical sums in auction. What's special here ??

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm no expert on British Honduras, but it makes sense that the coins would be expensive. First, because there are a lot of British Colonial collectors around the world. And second, because coins and paper money sent to a poor country tend to get spent over and over again, not collected by the locals.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    jdmernjdmern Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

High grade British Honduras pieces are very scarce, especially Victorian issues... Not only did they have rather small mintages to begin with, but pieces seemed to have circulated very heavily

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Thanks all, sounds right after thinking about it. The British Empire did create a few generations of stamp collectors, same for the coins too it seems.

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

I started out working on a British type set for the year 1887. Expanding that now to British colonies circa 1887. Not a trivial enterprise when one looks at the extent of the Victorian British empire. The sun never sets on the Empire as the saying went then.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    RMWRMW Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Elmhurst, if you don't know him, you might want to track down Randy Weir Numismatics of Ontario Canada. He has good currency and proof pieces of British Honduras and other colonial pieces from time to time. He has a website although I know that the inventory on it is not current ( or complete). But at least his contact info is on his website

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Andy, was that you blasting the prices upward for proofs in today's Baldwin's sale? LOL. Money not right for me today so as said had to be very judicious in my choices...

I did get the a couple of pieces incl currency 1960 25 cents in true unc. - this is a bear in that condition. Couldn't stomach the prices of the proofs and did let go the 1913 one cent after a couple of bids - very weak bidding on my part...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    Andy, was that you blasting the prices upward for proofs in today's Baldwin's sale?

Not me. I was more focused on the Franklin Mint issues from Belize.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think some of the latter gold in that series went very reasonably. I don't think they have the interest there that is seen on eBay here.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.