Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Official Meet the Crisser thread, part 3. "I love this hobby"

I used to be 100% invested in cardboard as an ancillary item in my portfolio. Efficiency rules the day in my financial holdings so cards are just play money, really. And there was a time when I spent more time on it than managing my other holdings. But I saw the freight train coming a few years ago and it was time to divest. Unopened had peaked and the great RC craze (or market manipulation, depending on your viewpoint and whether you had rose colored glasses) had begun. So I started liquidating and shifting my "play money" holdings into other things - art, precious metals, expanded investing in bitcoin (which has been awesome!!). I am blessed that I timed it right. I do own some key cards that I'm into very cheap and I have slowly started to buy a few other cards here and there.

Why, you ask? Because I love this hobby and can't quit it! I love buying nicely graded cards and I love sending cards to PSA! Bros, lemme tell you something - there's nothing like seeing that order pop and scanning your grades. I tried the Scottie Bradshaw method once - don't look then haul your shipment to a bar, pour an Old Fashioned then pull em out one by one. Couldn't do it. When they done I gotta know! I know you bros feel me. (By the way, I don't submit to or buy cards from graded from other TPG grading companies. Ever. Only PSA.)

Through my other business endeavors I have been able to understand human behavior well, and that helps in this hobby where there are a lot of characters and hucksters. I suppose that's why I speak truth frankly here; I call a spade a spade but I'll still have a beer with you if you're a bro.

Now, a little window into what I still have! Yes, I do like unopened football in some years - basketball in other years. I prefer them more than baseball because baseball is out there more than you think. I like certain RC cards even with the steep market decline, but just a few and only for reasons that should be obvious with a little research.

I am unlikely to expand much into vintage in the near term, at least until the bloodbath is done. But I do think there is upside in new material, if turned quickly on a platform to a sizable audience. Give the people what they want, man!

And that's the beautiful thing about this hobby. Like the game itself, the hobby springs anew every year, renewing itself with new and exciting players.

That's all for now. Until the 4th and final installment of Meet the Crisser, cheers!

The Crisser

Comments

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kevin

• Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

So, what are your top few investable athletes (retired or active) looking out 10 years from now?

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like your style. Congrats on the Bitcoins! I wish I had paid more attention to them a year ago. PMs are stagnant, but still nice to have in ones portfolio. Do you do physical or paper metals?
    While I never viewed cards as an "investment", I've never lost money on them.

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

All hat, no cattle.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Seems like the creative writing class is going well for you. Congrats!

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully you weren't using Mt Gox for your bitcoin holdings.

Robb

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

Translation inline below.

@CrissCriss said:
    I used to be 100% invested in cardboard as an ancillary item in my portfolio. Efficiency rules the day in my financial holdings so cards are just play money, really.

Bro was 100% invested in cardboard for some admittedly insignificant portion of bro's portfolio...

@CrissCriss said:
    And there was a time when I spent more time on it than managing my other holdings.

Bro there was a time I spent more time on my hobby than my efficient investments.

@CrissCriss said:
    But I saw the freight train coming a few years ago and it was time to divest. Unopened had peaked and the great RC craze (or market manipulation, depending on your viewpoint and whether you had rose colored glasses) had begun. So I started liquidating and shifting my "play money" holdings into other things - art, precious metals, expanded investing in bitcoin (which has been awesome!!). I am blessed that I timed it right. I do own some key cards that I'm into very cheap and I have slowly started to buy a few other cards here and there.

Bro like all "great" market timers, this bro didn't tell us in advance when the peak occurred, bro just tells us after the fact about how he deftly maneuvered the market place shifting from one asset to another - without any dates, details or other supporting information. But bro is back nibbling in the market again - without specifics. Bro would have to kill you if he told you.

@CrissCriss said:
    Why, you ask?

Bro, we really didn't ask, but go on anyway. :)

@CrissCriss said:
    Because I love this hobby and can't quit it! I love buying nicely graded cards and I love sending cards to PSA! Bros, lemme tell you something - there's nothing like seeing that order pop and scanning your grades.

But bro, efficiency rules the day in your financial holdings!

@CrissCriss said:
    I tried the Scottie Bradshaw method once - don't look then haul your shipment to a bar, pour an Old Fashioned then pull em out one by one. Couldn't do it. When they done I gotta know! I know you bros feel me. (By the way, I don't submit to or buy cards from graded from other TPG grading companies. Ever. Only PSA.)

Bro needs to know! Bro can't wait!

@CrissCriss said:
    Through my other business endeavors I have been able to understand human behavior well, and that helps in this hobby where there are a lot of characters and hucksters. I suppose that's why I speak truth frankly here; I call a spade a spade but I'll still have a beer with you if you're a bro.

Bro is dropping pearls here. All the specifics above about his past predictions - we'll have to take his word on those, but bro knows people. Cold bro.

@CrissCriss said:
    Now, a little window into what I still have! Yes, I do like unopened football in some years - basketball in other years. I prefer them more than baseball because baseball is out there more than you think.

Bro I see baseball out there man. More than you know bro.

@CrissCriss said:
    I like certain RC cards even with the steep market decline, but just a few and only for reasons that should be obvious with a little research.

Bro there are certain things I like. But just a couple bro! It should be self evident why i like just those few bro. You feeling me bro? Do a little research bro. Follow the bread crumbs bro. See the patterns bro. The truth is out there bro.

@CrissCriss said:

I am unlikely to expand much into vintage in the near term, at least until the bloodbath is done.

Bro those few I like aren't vintage bro. Bro, subscribe to my newsletter to find out when the bloodbath ends. Should be obvious with a little research bro.

@CrissCriss said:
    But I do think there is upside in new material, if turned quickly on a platform to a sizable audience. Give the people what they want, man!

Bro if you can mainstream that stuff it's huge. But bro, turn it quickly. Only new bro, not vintage. Power to the people bro.

@CrissCriss said:
    And that's the beautiful thing about this hobby. Like the game itself, the hobby springs anew every year, renewing itself with new and exciting players.

That's all for now. Until the 4th and final installment of Meet the Crisser, cheers!

Bro, can't wait. Looking forward to it bro. Bravo. :)

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crisser I find you entertaining and I participate in online forums for that reason. You have to step up your game if you want to compete with the legend Bunt. Still the heavyweight champ.

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    Crisser I find you entertaining and I participate in online forums for that reason. You have to step up your game if you want to compete with the legend Bunt. Still the heavyweight champ.

Does this make the Crisser the Intercontinental Champ?

Steve
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

I missed Bunt. Did he do meet the Bunts like this?

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@slum22 said:

@Dpeck100 said:

Does this make the Crisser the Intercontinental Champ?

If he wants to be. Personally I am hoping he brings some stronger game for the fourth edition and tries to take the real title.

• Options
    bcubsbcubs Posts: 344 ✭✭✭

I just want the Crisser to reveal his secret identity.

Appreciate today-

Bill

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Bunt...wow theres a blast from the past

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭

He will never reveal his name. He prefers to hide and pretend he is a player in the industry. Although he did spend over $100 on a kitchen table to show off his incredible $25,000 unopened collection, he has yet to reveal much more to us. Bro, he is scared!!

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

Must be a millionaire now congrats Kris.

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

I am bored.

The only way this gets interesting is if he reveals that he is a known good guy and he uses the "CrissCriss" as his evil twin identity in order to liven up the board.

If this is his true self, well, then it speaks for itself. This has nothing to do with whether his opinions are valid or not. Since his actions at the National imply some semblance of self awareness, he will never reveal who he is.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seebelow said:
    Bunt...wow theres a blast from the past

So Odd he hasn't been around recently.

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

"When you are 10 years old and some driver splashes you with water on your way to school you have to decide do I go home and change and be late for school or just go the school wet. And while he was thinking about it I drove by and splashed hi again"..., Jack Handey

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

Is Bunt from Canada?

Collector Focus

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2017 5:12PM

guys really haven't figured this out?

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options

@Gemyanks10 said:

Nope

Collector Focus

• Options
    bcubsbcubs Posts: 344 ✭✭✭

@Gemyanks10 said:

No, if you have please feel free to share with the masses.

Appreciate today-

Bill

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2017 10:49PM

@CrissCriss said:
    Oh Shane, haven't you ever heard that if you feel the need to advertise that you are blessed with wealth......

Anyway, I love all you guys. DPeck, I'm going to bring the noise in Part IV! I'm going to share my thoughts on where I see the hobby headed! Future is bright, my friends.

i think its going to form a base then resume its slow to moderate growth....im calling it......more importantly, and it does affect the hobby, is where do u see equities, bonds (whatever u like or prefer is fine), call its peak then what happens?...those are the true market makers!!!...and u have referenced this as one of ur abilities...that will help us all....

keep hitting the iron bro or bruh..or whatever is in vogue/style/hip/ don't believe the hype/papa was a rolling stone/ papas got a brand new bag-----post some pics---thats what ur or my generation is doing ...all in fun
    .....thanks mucho

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2017 12:52PM