Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Question for dealers and collectors of Canadian coins.

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been doing some cleanup and came across a few rolls of George V Canadian coins: cents and 5c. Common date and grade coins. Do these sell for any thing over face value? or should I just take then to the bank?

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2019 4:20AM

• sylsyl Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

They will sell for a little over face up here, but the Canadian dollar is only worth $.75. I've got a coin show the weekend after next. I can take them there for you, Don. I should be in Buffalo next week sometime. Your US banks don't normally take Canuck coinage.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Bill but I'll be setting up at a local coin show next month and will try to sell them there.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

I have rolls and rolls of old cents and nickels. I thought George VI were of minimal value over face, but the George V should be worth a decent premium.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not so sure about a decent premium. you said "should"......
    only in top grades or varieties or errors.
    BTW, most have scratches caused by the manual parking meters, the ones where you had to turn the handle.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • QCCoinGuyQCCoinGuy Posts: 324 ✭✭✭✭

Common-date George V cents and 5 cents typically end up bowls where they're sold for 25 cents apiece (or something of that sort). Dealers don't really pay for them because they usually have tons in inventory.

• coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

1925 is a low mintage year and these coins catalog fairly high even in lower grades.
    There is a 1926 Far 6 variety as well that cats. at $200 in VG.

all around collector of many fine things

• ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

@QCCoinGuy said:
    Common-date George V cents and 5 cents typically end up bowls where they're sold for 25 cents apiece (or something of that sort). Dealers don't really pay for them because they usually have tons in inventory.

That's about what I was think of...

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Canadian coins have no legal tender status in the US. If you put them in unmarked cent rolls and try to cash them at your bank you will be asking for trouble.

All glory is fleeting.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Canadian coins have no legal tender status in the US. If you put them in unmarked cent rolls and try to cash them at your bank you will be asking for trouble.

Canadian cents circulate at par here.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ajaan said:

@291fifth said:

Canadian cents circulate at par here.

That doesn't make them legal tender.

All glory is fleeting.