Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

2005 Topps Chrome Chris Paul - What to do?

Schultz24Schultz24 Posts: 202 ✭✭

Trying to decide if I want to keep or return. Won this for about $135 which I think is an alright price. Problem is there is a decent scratch that wasn't disclosed in the auction. Seller says he will take it back and doesn't really want to do a partial refund, but there really aren't many of these coming up at auction so I hate to lose it. What does anyone think it will grade if sent in? It looks perfect other than the scratch. Any other thoughts? Anyone have one they could sell me near this price without the scratches? Thanks for your opinions!

Comments

• MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭

With a scratch like that I would guess PSA 5 or 6.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it were mine I would return it. The scratch would always bother me. Also, if you were to try to sell it down the road it would always be an issue.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2017 10:51PM

The surface scratch, the bane of the modern submitter's existence. First off, I love that card and CP3 is one of my favorite players despite playing for one of my favorite team's rival's (before and after the offseason trade). If I were you, I would return for sure. I used to just suck it up on purchases where there were undisclosed surface problems. But now, for any raw card over a certain value, if there is a surface problem that was not disclosed in the listing, it is an insta-return. Especially because for most of these items I will go out of my way to ask the seller if there are surface problems not discernible in the scan. I am more optimistic on the grade. I would guess 7 or 8. But 5, 6, 7 and 8 are meaningless distinctions for a modern card of this type. A PSA 10 creates great value to the submitter for this card. A PSA 9 gets you a small premium over a nice looking raw card (if you are lucky). A PSA 8 will actually drag the price down below what the same card would sell for outside of a holder. Return this one and buy a better one. While they don't come up frequently they are out there. I would put up a buy thread on Blowout and see what comes out of the woodworks.

Steve
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

It's not a rare card. Send it back and wait for one in the condition you're looking for.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Schultz24Schultz24 Posts: 202 ✭✭

Thanks for all of the responses! The seller has 100% feedback, but I am a little worried about losing the card on the way back to him. What can I do to ensure it doesn't get "lost" and I get my money back? Ship with a tracking number I'm sure would be the main thing. I don't do returns often so don't want to lose both the card and my money of course. Thanks again!

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can return with signature confirmation. Even without signature confirmation once the tracking number shows delivered I believe you are off the hook as far a responsibility. Good luck with the return.

• jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you file a claim through eBay, the seller will have to pay for return shipping. eBay will email you a return label. Otherwise, return shipping will be on you. As was mentioned already, once the tracking number shows as being delivered you will be ok. By filing an eBay claim, if the seller doesn't do a refund, eBay will do it.
    James