Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PWCC or Probstein?

What is the consensus with the board here. If I were to consign say a Rose rookie PSA 8, who would you consign with and why? PWCC or Probstein? Thanks.

PackManInNC

Comments

• Options
    GrimsterGrimster Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

for a card like that I'd go with PWCC

I have had good luck with Probstein in the past too, so really either would be ok. It also depends on how quickly you want it to be sold. Probstein will receive it, scan it and throw it up on ebay whereas PWCC will include it in the next round of listings for that particular sport/era. I do think you'd net a little more with PWCC when the "hammer" drops.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

pwcc and never Prob in my opinion

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

PWCC would be my choice for a PSA 8 rookie.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

PWCC...I like to have a description of the card. Also...if the card is high end for the grade...PWCC has sticker for that. And a PWCC-HE does sell for more $$$.

Interestingly...Probstein currently has 2 Mantles ('65 Mantle psa-8.5 and '67 Mantle psa-9) which have been relisted for sale. Either...buyer did not pay or buyer did not like card and returned it.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    MarsAttacksMarsAttacks Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

From a buyer's perspective, I find both to provide excellent service, and quick shipping, so I don't hesitate to bid and buy from both.

Go Dodgers!
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

ebay.com/itm/1918-Topps-216-Joe-Montana-San-Francisco-49ers-RC-Rookie-HOF-PAS-4-VG-EX-/362073424128?

Enough said. I can't even believe this is still a question in people's minds (at least as sellers).

• Options
    edited August 28, 2017 6:23PM

@detroitfan2 said:
    ebay.com/itm/1918-Topps-216-Joe-Montana-San-Francisco-49ers-RC-Rookie-HOF-PAS-4-VG-EX-/362073424128?

Enough said. I can't even believe this is still a question in people's minds (at least as sellers).

Wow that is absurd - The lost 1918 Topps Football set :)

Go Dodgers!
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

@detroitfan2 said:

and it was graded by PAS

• Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

The current '63's are going pretty high for Probs right now!

This is one of the worst 8's I have ever seen. But look at those bids!

ebay.com/itm/1963-Topps-SETBREAK-190-Minnie-Minoso-St-Louis-Cardinals-PSA-8-NM-MT-/372053320337?hash=item56a01b2291:g:kzwAAOSwjuBZnMHh

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

recommend Mastro...

too early?

• Options

Superman cards in both PWCC and Probstein auctions tonight that went for very good prices (for the seller that is)!

Go Dodgers!
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2017 11:12PM

If your goal is to net the most money, I would go with PWCC. As others have stated, Probstein may offer quicker turnaround for faster cash depending on where in the cycle you are sending your card to PWCC. But while there are exceptions I would say more often than not, a card like that will get a higher sale price via PWCC.

Steve
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

@detroitfan2 said:

I know it's funny but what does a PSA 4 Montana with 95/10 centering normally go for? I am surprised it was sent in and that someone paid 26.00 bucks shipped for it?

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

@jackstraw said:

@detroitfan2 said:

I know it's funny but what does a PSA 4 Montana with 95/10 centering normally go for? I am surprised it was sent in and that someone paid 26.00 bucks shipped for it?

You are exactly right . . . maybe if anything this is a feather in his cap. "Hey, I can title it however I want and look at the money I get!".

By the way, I would not be happy if these were my 1953 PSA 6's. Many did not come close to VCP average, would have been nice if the titles contained "PSA":

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=1953+topps+6&_ssn=probstein123&item=372052266064&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X1953+topps+6+-psa+-sgc.TRS0&_nkw=1953+topps+6+-psa+-sgc&_sacat=0

• Options
    1957Braves1957Braves Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Sold several items with PWCC in one auction. Left a slightly bad taste in my mouth. I felt the descriptions of the items were a bit underwhelming and there was a misunderstanding in the fees that didn't go my way and was sort of dismissed when I bought it up.

I agree trying to sell on your own first. If you use one of the consigners, make sure the description is what you want it to be during the review period provided before the auction is live.

• Options

Doing what I do at VCP and seeing basically every auction that is posted in order to get the data onto VCP.

I would say that PWCC is the better seller for the main reason he is more professional and rarely makes mistakes in
    his listings. He also spends a small fortune promoting his listings. He has quality scans of both front and back. When he
    does make an error in listing or if the label is wrong from a grader, he is quick to take it down and make it right.

Probstein makes far to many mistakes in my opinion. He will have baseball cards in the basketball section, football in the
    baseball section, etc...He will only post in his title what it says on the flip, with so many people collecting different backs this is a problem, He should know by now that 1956 Topps Aaron #31 comes with a white or gray back. This needs to be notated on the auction title. But if it is an older flip it is not designated. He gives a really nice front scan that is huge and very detailed. But he never or rarely ever posts a scan of the back. So leaves a lot of people guessing or contacting him to find out.

Just my 2 cents....

• Options
    taul166taul166 Posts: 45 ✭✭

I have used both quite a few times with good results for both. For the card you describe and if your choice is Probstein vs. PWCC, I think PWCC is your best bet if are not in a hurry to receive your proceeds. Many above have provided valid comments. Depending on auction cycles, it make take a 6 weeks if not longer for you to receive your proceeds in hand from PWCC. Both use ebay as their auction platform, but PWCC will provide a much fuller description and will list the auction for a longer period of time.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love PWCC. I hate selling on eBay, the fees are worth it for me to avoid that, and the process with them is smooth as silk.

• Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

When I first started to get back into collecting 5-6 years ago, it seemed Probstein had the bulk of the market with PWCC a distant 2nd, but this has shifted the other way around, with PWCC being the go to on eBay, and for good reason...PWCC will give the seller and buyer the courtesy of providing a nice description of each card. They seem to put a lot of time into "selling" the card with their descriptions. Probstein uses the item description space to promote himself and telling the buyer they are actively pursuing consignments. That's about all you get. Plus, as others have said, PWCC is incredibly accurate and organized considering their volume...Probstein not so much with less volume. Probstein also loves to throw around buzz words like Centered in the listings whether the card is centered or not...

So, yeah, I definitely would go with PWCC. I'm surprised this is still even a question...

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anything valued over $50 - PWCC
    Anything valued under $50 - Probstein

Anything under $50 you get killed with PWCC on commision rate. Not so much with Probstein.

• Options
    BobHBobH Posts: 206 ✭✭

@CrissCriss said:
    Hearing that Probstein has had consignments in his possession consigned to him quite some time ago that haven't been listed for sale. Just FYI.

I'm presently in the process of selling 300-400 PSA graded and raw card with Rick Probstein. He answers questions via email promptly,sends a accounting of the cards sold promptly and pays right away in my case w/ PayPal .Great experience. Some of the less expensive raw cards are taking a little longer get posted but i see them going up

Interested in 60's and 70's psa and raw star and hof cards
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@BobH said:

@CrissCriss said:
    Hearing that Probstein has had consignments in his possession consigned to him quite some time ago that haven't been listed for sale. Just FYI.

I'm presently in the process of selling 300-400 PSA graded and raw card with Rick Probstein. He answers questions via email promptly,sends a accounting of the cards sold promptly and pays right away in my case w/ PayPal .Great experience. Some of the less expensive raw cards are taking a little longer get posted but i see them going up

I'm not a fan of probstein not informing you when they are listed. The organization with pwcc is very nice to check back at throughout and in the future.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not used either up until now. I dropped off a few cards with PWCC at the National. They should be listed next week. One thing I link about PWCC is how well organized their listings are. One thing I don't like is that if they have 20 of the same card they will list all of them at the same time.
    James

• Options
    taul166taul166 Posts: 45 ✭✭

PWCC is very structured and organized. They have a web portal that you can log into to get immediate status once items go up on ebay. Probstein is less structured and you are on your own and need to build your own "watch" file of your items on ebay. Again, I have used both with good results. I think Darin above set out a pretty accurate dollar criterion.

• Options

At the national, Probstein ran about 25 1 day auctions of material lots he had not been able to list individually, some of it for as long as 3 years. My impression is that if you as a consignor don't offer "easy" listings, you better stay on top or your items get pushed to the back of the line.

• Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    Anything valued over $50 - PWCC
    Anything valued under $50 - Probstein

Anything under $50 you get killed with PWCC on commision rate. Not so much with Probstein.

I agree with this, I also try to give half graded cards to PWCC since they seem to have better visibility due to PWCC's listing practices. I've had great experiences with both sellers. I rarely sell on Ebay anymore, unless it's a BIN. Too many hassles. I will submit cards over $50 to Rick as long as it's a full grade, and I'm sure the return will be there regardless.

Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

PWCC. Great service, he will call you back and email you back. Rick would never email or call me back. I finally got a hold of him and he said that he only will text you. That turned me off.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find it frustrating that Probstein couldn't be bothered to put up scans of the back sides of the cards up for auction. It seems lazy and unprofessional in my opinion. Yes I know some argue that it takes time to do it, and 4SC certainly skips that step too, but PWCC does high volume sales and they always seem to have a scan of both front and back.

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

4SC is selling their cards, so they're only hurting themselves from the 1% of buyers needing to see a picture of the back of the card.
    The auctions houses are selling your cards, and you control whether or not your cards have back scans when auctioned.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@psychump said:
    The current '63's are going pretty high for Probs right now!

This is one of the worst 8's I have ever seen. But look at those bids!

ebay.com/itm/1963-Topps-SETBREAK-190-Minnie-Minoso-St-Louis-Cardinals-PSA-8-NM-MT-/372053320337?hash=item56a01b2291:g:kzwAAOSwjuBZnMHh

And the #1 NL HR Leaders card went for $2k+ vs $600 top recent sales and it was a fairly weak 8 at that!

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone calculated out their return vs VCP after the VIG on the cards they've consigned with each? I'd be interested in a general rule of thumb. I've got way too many extras to auction off to do it myself. I've been contemplating consigning to them but I would feel more comfortable if I had an indication of what net to expect vs VCP average for them. All graded singles, mostly 60s and 70s, ranging from PSA 7 to 9 with most being 8s.

Also, Rick charges something like $1 + a % for items selling below $10. If your card sells for the opening $0.99, do you owe him a penny or does he just call it a wash?

• Options

Hi, as I said I have used both PWCC and Probstein. I hear about about BST Auctions. Some of you may have mentioned them. Can you pass on any experience you have had with BST and what would be a general criterion for using BST? Thanks much.

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

What is BST auctions?

PackManInNC
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

I've looked to Rick Probstein for years with great results selling via Buy it now, rather than taking my chances on auctions. This eliminates much of the risk for me. On the other hand, you don't get the upside of emotional frenzy that might be associated with a PSA 8 Rose Rookie.

Rick is highly responsive when you include the eBay item# in the communication, and I've always found his team quick to list my cards.

I've come to the opinion that for complete sets, PWCC does a superb job presenting them and am might consider working with them in the future.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    Mickey MaysMickey Mays Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

Anyone have an idea of the percentage of sales PWCC does worldwide? They claim to have 200,000 active past buyers. Larger market equals higher prices ?

Since Probstein does not sell Internationally, I think this would give PWCC the edge over Probstein,

• Options

I would definitely go with PWCC

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probstein has lost my cards twice. Once they found them and the other they did not, and rudely told me to ef off when I asked for some kind of rebate/refund. It was on about $100.00 worth of cards.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

That's messed up. So much for customer service.

• Options
    jimqjimq Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

@mexpo75 said:
    What is BST auctions?

Mike, I don't think it's so much auctions as the Buy Sell Trade forum.

As far as PWCC vs Probstein, I've sent 4 cards over the last 2 months to PWCC. All 4 sold for about what I thought. As soon as they had the auctions ready, I got an email telling me to check them. Then around the 15th of the next month I got information on the check I would get. 3 days later it was in my mailbox. I wouldn't hesitate to send more there. If they're popular cards maybe try them for a few days on the Buy Sell Trade board. It's free. Good Luck!