Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Requires Signature

What would one do? Sold $450 card with BIN. Shipped priority with signature required. Buyer does not sign for, does not pick up and item it due to be return to me 2 weeks later on the 31st. Reached out to buyer to let him know about card at PO. He asked me to rearrange delivery with the PO. Really? Told him only he could do that. Appears card will be sent back to me shortly. What happens in these situations? Anyone have any experience?

Comments

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

Eat the cost and re-send it. Paypal requires signature over $750.

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

I'm happy to resend it, just strange he would not go to pick it up or sign card and PO will deliver and the thought that I could influence his delivery preference.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Buyer is responsible for signing. Tell the buyer to go to usps.com and schedule a redelivery. Very easy to do. I have done this in the past with no issues. I send cards with values greater than $200 always with signature confirmation.

• Options

Buyer seems like he is up to something given he wont go down to the PO and pick it up, but then again, I'm overly suspicious of everybody. Is this something that the buyer couldn't have gotten a refund for and maybe he changed his mind? No other idea.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

If it ends up being sent back to you and you need to resend, I'd still send with signature. I send with signature required for anything over $200 as well. Gotta cover yourself too.

• Options

Thanks fellas, thought I was not too crazy. Contacting buyer and he could not even find the tracking info ETC. Kinda had no clue. Sent to him with the suggestion to schedule redelivery on line. Did not think I was going to have to hold someone's hand on this situation

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2017 7:23AM

Is someone really that lazy where they won't sign a PO notice already in their possession then walk it to their own mailbox? If it gets returned i would just refund this buyer or resend again with the same method you just used,even though you're stuck paying the s/h a 2nd time. I wouldn't sacrifice your only protection on this shipment just to make this guy happy. Common sense buyers know that if they're spending $450 on a card they're probably going to need to sign for it when it arrives.

• Options

Yes I think he is and clueless as well. Lethal combination

• Options

I would just remind him if it gets sent back you're going to resend with the same method so he should just go sign for it now rather than later.

• Options

Update: So sent buyer a hey did you have a chance email to coordinate with PO. Single word response. "Nope"
    Told him it will be returned and I would send back with same sig required service. Now is big timing me stating he travels for work ETC. Told him can be coordinated on line and is very simple. Looks like this card is coming back to me. What is his option for refund? Can I just refund him when the card comes back? Should I wait until card returns? This is very frustrating and I think I am going above and beyond my responsibilities.

• Options

The guy is messing with you for some unknown reason. When it comes back, refund him and move on; he doesn't want the card. I was going to say to ask the buyer to agree to accept full responsibility for it and you'll send it without requiring signature, but its probably not worth your hassle.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options

I looked him up and he is actually big time and is not messing with me. He does want the card and has a relationship with the athlete and I assume he will get it autographed. However, now if it comes back to me I am sending him a refund and either keeping or relisting the card. Just want to make sure I do it properly

• Options

I would wait till you get the card in hand then,and only then, refund him his payment. I would also watch out to see if he leaves a negative feedback for you even though his laziness is what is the problem.
    All he has to do is sign the post office notice and they'll deliver a second time where he won't need to be there for it. I agree with jimmy that this sounds like the guy is messing with you for some unknown reason when all he needs to do is sign the notice and the card will be in his mailbox the following day.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

Happened to me once and the seller sent it back.... very nice seller....

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

I believe he can also get on the post office site and sign for it via the computer
    h doesn't get slip or leave the house.

the po will then deliver it

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

Yes, asked him to try and do it remotely via USPS.com can rearrange delivery whenever. He has had two weeks to do this. Basically refuses and had the brass ones to ask me to speak to the PO about changing delivery. He is big timing me now, saying he is out of town, blah, blah, blah. Gave the USPS.com one last try to no avail. My question is what does ebay think of these situations? Can he neg me because he would not sign or coordinate?

• Options
    edited August 29, 2017 10:42AM

He can leave whatever he wants for feedback even if you refund all of his money and I've come across tons of negatives where the comment said they got a full refund and that person still left a neg. I would either mention it to him that you would like for him not to do that and whether he does or doesn't,don't leave your own feedback until you see what he does with his. You could always go to ebay if he does and say it wasn't warranted when he wouldn't sign for it. They'll have access to all of your messages back & forth so that could be on your side.

edit: Maybe even check his feedback left for others to see if he's done this to someone else and then left negative feedback after.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    He can leave whatever he wants for feedback even if you refund all of his money and I've come across tons of negatives where the comment said they got a full refund and that person still left a neg. I would either mention it to him that you would like for him not to do that and whether he does or doesn't,don't leave your own feedback until you see what he does with his. You could always go to ebay if he does and say it wasn't warranted when he wouldn't sign for it. They'll have access to all of your messages back & forth so that could be on your side.

This.

Unless you have a small number of sales on ebay, I wouldn't worry too much about one guy's negative feedback. He probably can't even figure out how to leave it if he can't figure out the USPS website.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

If he is out of town like he said he should be able to have the post office either hold the package until he returns or have it delivered to a different address where someone else can sign for it.

I hope all of your communication is through eBay messaging.
    James

• Options

Yes, all through eBay messaging where I have been Eddie Haskell. He just can't be bothered or can't figure out USPS.com. As a seller I have done everything right. Can't believe people like this are out there and makes me not want to keep selling on Ebay.

• Options

Sent him one final eBay message. Even offered to schedule the redelivery for him on USPS.com. Now I'm done

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the card comes back to you, I would refund and relist. I wouldn't bother going down that rabbit hole again with a buyer like that.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Call ebay now. Establish a paperwork trail. If he leaves a neg, you are covered.

• Options

Thanks everyone, hoping this ends well but don't have a good feeling. I assume the PO will send it back to me signature required as well?

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

@Dand522612 said:
    Sent him one final eBay message. Even offered to schedule the redelivery for him on USPS.com. Now I'm done

thats all you can do...i would have been done with him so long ago....unless you really need to sell to him..i.e..difficult card to sell, u got a great price for this particular card etc ,,,I'd let him figure out HIS own delivery time on USPS on his computer.....(i guy that can figure out how to buy a $400 card on ebay and have a paypal acct can figure out how to work this out) because otherwise he's messing with you, although i have no idea why.....id just let it come back and resell

...oh, and reply/answer back IF he leaves neg feedback...we all have run into these types and people won't hold it against you

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

@Dand522612 said:
    I looked him up and he is actually big time and is not messing with me. He does want the card and has a relationship with the athlete and I assume he will get it autographed. However, now if it comes back to me I am sending him a refund and either keeping or relisting the card. Just want to make sure I do it properly

Wondering who it is now?

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

Card is very liquid would have no problem selling again. At this point just want it back in one piece. As for who he is, naturally I can't say, however if you PM me i might be persuaded. The irony is ridiculous.

• Options

Just tell the crisser you want the card back, bro..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Are we going right to act 4 Criss?

• Options

Yep it happened, card came back to me today. 40 days post shipment. No contact from buyer, I think he has forgotten. I assumed it wss redelivered as no update for 24 days. Think I am going to wait until buyer contacts.

• Options

Did you already refund his money?

• Options

Negative, just appeared today in the mail. Had no real idea it was even coming back. Assumed was re delivered. I did not need to sign for it ironically. Card has taken a 6K mile trip for no reason. Had a 24 day stop over in LA foe no reason.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a maroon! Make sure you block him from future auctions.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

I wouldn't do anything until contacted by the original buyer. If he is so "big time" he may just forget about the transaction.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

He won't neg you. He doesn't take the time to reschedule or do any of the legwork. It's very unlikely he'll take the time to neg you.

• Options

I actually went online and rescheduled delivery for him. Then called the PO to confirm. Think I went above and beyond. I want to do the right thing here, however at this point he needs to do something before I drop more cash on shipping for him to then just want a refund ETC. Mid shipment. Nice to actually see the card come back and the system work, however no clue why it was in purgatory for about a month. How long does he have to neg 60 days? Funny thing is PO shows as still out for delivery as my Saturday carrier is lazy.

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2017 12:33PM

I had something very similar happen to me a few years ago, so I can really relate to how you feel.

Sent a card (value was around $600) via USPS/Signature confirmation. The card was attempted delivery--notice left (per online tracking), but he claimed he never got the notice card.

I then visit my post office who calls the local post where the package is waiting. I tell him the exact location where the package is (address, phone number). He claims he went there but they do not have the package. We call that post office again--confirmed the package is there. He claims it's not.

At that point I offered a refund, but only once the card is returned. It took 6 weeks to get the card back to me because they wait a few weeks to give recipient a chance to pick up the package. During that time he filed a PP claim. I won the dispute because of tendered delivery, however.

Once the card returned, I was planning to grant him a quick refund, but before I did, I called eBay just to update them on the situation. They then told me they had already made an one-time exception-based refund to buyer (even though he had lost the dispute). Since they hand't taken any money back from me, I asked them what they wanted me to do with the card (since buyer had been made whole and I had the sales proceeds). They told me to go ahead and keep the card and not refund him--on the house they told me. I felt really guilty, but at the same time the user was pushing for a refund from me when he had already gotten one from eBay.

He kept pushing for a refund, not knowing that eBay had apprised me of the situation. When I relayed that he had already been refunded, he became irate because he saw me as the scumbag in all this and that I was stealing money. All kinds of vile accusations and name calling--we went back and forth a little until I just stopped responding and blocked him. Life is too short. You try to help find the package, followup, followup, and this is where it gets you.

Crazy thing is (still a head scratcher), the guy messages me a year later trying to buy a card I have listed. My response was basically GFY. I learned that blocking somebody only prevents them from buying something--they can still communicate via eBay message. Back goes the name calling and emails until I finally call eBay and tell them this harassment needs to stop.

I have never had anything remotely this negative happen on eBay previous (no negative feedback since joining in 2000) and hope to never deal with somebody like this again. But I did learn that some buyers on eBay are absolute head cases. You just deal with it and move on. Even stranger, he never left me a negative. In his mind I am the devil incarnate. In my mind Colonel Scheisskopf makes this guy look like a genius.

Sorry you had to go through all this.

• Options

Thunder Dan, thanks for the info. Just going to hold tight for now and wait for him to contact me. Yes I basically held his hand as well with the PO. Just thought this was over.

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

Thunder Dan, thanks for the info. Just going to hold tight for now and wait for him to contact me. Yes I basically held his hand as well with the PO. Just thought this was over.

It will be over when you give the guy his money back. But instead you've decided you're just going to hold tight for now and wait for him to contact you. You have your card back and you're holding his money. If you're new at this the right thing to do now is issue a refund. Are you hoping he doesn't contact you so you can keep his money?

• Options

Um, no, not new at this and quite an accusation that I want to keep his money. What I don't want is for him to ask for the card after I refund him or vice versa. If I send him the card again I am out postage and if I send him a refund I will possibly be out fees. Given this guys history of non action I have no idea what he wants and feel he needs to drive the bus and not me now.

• Options

Call ebay and ask for their suggestion on the next move.

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

I see no reason to wait for him to contact you. He doesn't know you have the card back now. You've had the card back for 3 days now and continue to hold his money, waiting for him to contact you. The ball is in your court, take action. There's no point in trying to work this out with the buyer as you already know he's not agreeable to your terms. As highgradelegends said contact Ebay now. You are way past the deadline for a normal cancellation due to a address issue. You will need Ebay's assistance in getting your Final Value Fees back, and let them tell you exactly how they want you to refund his money.

• Options

Contacted eBay and they saw all of my efforts to work with this guy. They said give him one final email and wait 24 hours for a response and yes they will help me with the final values fee if he looks for a refund