Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Some newps from this weekend (Anglo-Saxon)

EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 28, 2017 5:44PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

A dealer who lives about 1 hour from where I live recently returned from England with two books for me, and invited me to his home. While there, I take the time to look at his inventory. We chatted about many topics specific to Anglo-Saxon coinage and specifically about recent notable research progress in attributing early pieces to specific kingdoms and monarchs.

In June, I met up with this dealer in Baltimore (weird, huh, meeting in Baltimore when we both live in the same state) and one of the pieces I bought from him then is an Anglo-Saxon sceatt that is quite an oddity. He had it mis-attributed as a Series A 3 due to the obverse with runes before the bust and a supposedly typical reverse. After I proceeded to tell him that the reverse is actually not a Series A (nor Series C) reverse but is similar to a Series R, then he had an 'a ha' moment. All this time, this coin which has an Metcalf attribution of #131 (in Vol1) has been claimed to be an imitation of Series C.

He thinks my coin (not necessarily the Metcalf coin) is almost certainly not an imitation because of its quality of metal and execution. Moreover, its obverse fits nicely in the die link analysis for these early Kent pieces. So, the obverse looks like a legitimate Series C with a variant reverse of Series R. Since Series R sceatts overlap in time between late Primary Phase and early Secondary Phase, the dealer speculates that this coin is a transition piece attributed to King Wihtred of Kent (c. 693-725). So, we agreed that we'd consult with Anna Gannon, whose name will come up again later in this post. For now, here is the picture of my coin (bought in June, so not a newp):

And now onto the newps:

ANGLO-SAXON, Secondary Sceattas.

Kingdom of Mercia, Æthelbald (716-757). Circa 720. AR Sceatt (.97g, 12h). Series L, type 23e. Standing figure holding long cross pommée on either side / Whorl of three serpent-like heads clockwise with beaded tongues. Abramson 43.10 var. (whorl clockwise); SCBC 804H. Near EF and toned. Very rare.

I am told by the dealer that this is the first issue from the London mint, but I think I will need to get confirmation from him that I did not mis-understand him.

ANGLO-SAXON, Secondary Sceattas.

Kingdom of East Anglia, Ælfwald (713-749). Circa 720. AR Sceatt (.99g, 12h). Series Q IX. Monster right, head back, with raised tail below jaw / Single annulet within beaded standard joined at corners to beaded circle with chevrons in outer border with annulets at compass points. BMC 56; Abramson 57.10; SCBC 807D. Near EF and toned. Very rare.

Oddly, this coin is classified in SCBC as Series O but by Naismith as Series Q.

Last but not least are two books:

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great stuff EVP

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice NEWPs, EVP. Keep us updated on the Anglo-Saxon research!

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coinage of the dark ages is fascinating. Nice to know that books on the subject are available.

All glory is fleeting.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2017 5:48PM

Thanks guys.

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Nice NEWPs, EVP. Keep us updated on the Anglo-Saxon research!

Sure, will do, but it seems a dry subject matter for most folks here. I mean... the coins are tiny and who here can read Runic or want to know the history of those people?!?

BTW, the first picture has been updated with the correct reverse orientation. (The cross represents an anchor, while the tufa represents a Roman flame.)

• sjkrosesjkrose Posts: 25 ✭✭

I find the series pretty fascinating myself... Thanks for sharing!
    Here's a couple that I picked up over the years!

Rickie

Member: ANS, ANA, VNA

@Justacommeman said:
    Great stuff EVP

m

Btw, are you collecting Dark Side now? If so, what?

@sjkrose Nice sceattas! The Frisian issue has the obverse and reverse switched around. I think maybe the Northumbrian too.

• Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

I do not collect these coins but they are certainly interesting.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2017 11:30AM

Nice additions EVP!

Here's a little background for the crowd that is not so well-versed on early Anglo-Saxon coinage:

The sceattas, or sceatts, were made from around the late 7th century to the mid 8th in England, as well as in Frisia and parts of Denmark. The majority are English.

Nobody really knows for sure where the different designs were manufactured, and under whose authority, but some conclusions can be drawn from hoard and archaeologic data.

There were two main "phases" for the English sceatta coinage- called primary and secondary. The primary phase was up to around 710, with the secondary phase until about 750. There are many different "series" of sceattas, designated by a letter, EVP mentions a few. Series A was considered the earliest, whereas series R was a later issue, falling in the secondary phase, that had a similar, though much more crude design. Sometimes it is possible to figure under whose authority a coin was struck, since it fits in a geographic area during a certain time, and sometimes it isn't.

Modern scholarship on these coins did not pick up steam until the 1970's, so the field is still growing in its understanding of types, motifs, and designs.

The controversy over the attribution of the 1st coin stems from its departure from the classic designs of series A, C, and R, which are believed to be a somewhat linear emission in that order:

Series A:

(This picture is from CNG and not my coin)

Series C:

(This is my coin)

Series R:

(This picture is from CNG and not my coin)

The basic differences are:
    Series A has the letter "A" to the left of bust, with the letters "TIC" or "oTIC" to the right. The reverse has the letters ToTII with the I's angled 45 degrees
    Series C has the letter "A" to the left of bust, with a runic inscription to the right. The character has a triangle shaped neck typically. The reverse is essentially the same as with series A, it has the letters ToTII with the I's angled 45 degrees
    Series R has the letters "oVo" or "TVT" to the left of bust (V often upside down), with a runic inscription to the right. Sometimes it is entirely reversed. The reverse has the letters ToTII with the I's upright (not on diagonal).

There are other subtle differences within each series that lead to minor varieties, but this is the main gist of it.

As you can see, EVP's coin has no neck (suggesting series A), but with runic letters to the right of bust (suggesting series C) and the reverse with upright I's (suggesting series R). Thus it is difficult to catalog. I agree with the attribution to series C, with a transitional reverse.

We have had additional discussion on the piece, but it's getting too technical, I just wanted to bring others up to speed.

• NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sjkrose said:
    I find the series pretty fascinating myself... Thanks for sharing!
    Here's a couple that I picked up over the years!

Rickie

Hi skjrose,

There are not too many of us who collect these coins. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to chat. My main interest is in the Northumbrian stycas, like the coin of Archbishop Wigmund, by moneyer Coenred that you posted.

Here is my example of the same issue:

• sjkrosesjkrose Posts: 25 ✭✭

We'll do... this is a new area for me and these were a distraction to my monarch set from Egbert to George-III... I really enjoy the history!

Rickie

Member: ANS, ANA, VNA

One correction to @Nap's erudite response here is that the "letter A" that is to the left of the (behind) bust is actually a chevron.