Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1991 Chipper Jones Upper Deck RC worth picking up?

I grabbed his Topps 1991 rookie card and see a few on eBay. You think this card has some value and is worth picking up now before he goes in the hall? Can't find current values of it but I looked in the eBay sales history.

Trying to decide getting this card and or a Griffey Jr 1989 Topps traded card as well. You can get the griffey in a 10 all day, but I dunno if it's worth picking up. Can't see it's value really appreciate much.

myslabs.to/smzcards

Comments

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2017 6:01PM

I will want Jones' RC in a 10 for my collection of HOF'ers.

Appreciation of 90s stuff?

Ya gotta better chance of finding a diamond up go goat's ass.

Mike
  • steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Really ANY cards from that flooded era are not big investments. Get one to enjoy or fill a set, but that's about it.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand that. I have a 91 Topps chipper Jones already and was considering getting another one. But I also don't have any graded griffey jr rookie cards so I was gonna pick some up too.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like his 1991 bowman rookie the most out of all his rookies.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • DaddyRichDaddyRich Posts: 241 ✭✭

That '91 Bowman does remind me of the '53 Bowman Mantle for some reason.

Just glad to be here with everyone.
  • 49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭

1991 Chipper Jones Desert Storm card...now that is one to grab

@49ersGuy said:
    1991 Chipper Jones Desert Storm card...now that is one to grab

Little out of my price range!

myslabs.to/smzcards

• It really irks me that there is almost an entire era of players for which their cards aren't worth jack and never will be. Heck, you could also argue that even the players that have a higher-priced card, its overpriced given the quantity made(like Griffey). And the funny thing - when KGJ is up for the HOF, the card will "increase" again, even though you can find a stack at every table at every card show in America on any given weekend.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

edited August 28, 2017 7:25AM

Ugh I just looked over my PSA 10 1991 Topps Chipper Jones I picked up two weeks ago and noticed it must’ve been damaged in transit. Looks like it took a shock from a drop and ripples against the PSA holder. I’ll reach out to the seller but I doubt there’s a recourse. The front of the card is pristine, no signs of this damage on the front. Will this effect the eye appeal and value of the card now?

myslabs.to/smzcards

• I don't think that is the result of the shipment. From what I see, that mark couldn't have been made in that manner by "Sliding" in the slab and hitting the top of the case. That's like a finger or finger nail mark or something else. Think about it - the entire card top edge of the card would be hitting the top of the case at the same time, but only a small section shows damage. Something "hit" that either at an angle, or specifically in the spot where the damage is.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

It could’ve been dropped during shipping and the corner could’ve taken on the damage.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

damm i gave away a couple of those chipper jones

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:
    It really irks me that there is almost an entire era of players for which their cards aren't worth jack and never will be. Heck, you could also argue that even the players that have a higher-priced card, its overpriced given the quantity made(like Griffey). And the funny thing - when KGJ is up for the HOF, the card will "increase" again, even though you can find a stack at every table at every card show in America on any given weekend.

Griffey got in the HOF last summer. His Upper Deck rookie went up in a 10 grade but not much in the the other grades. I agree overpriced and overprinted.

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Save up for the Desert storm in an 8. Would not splurge on Larry on anything else. 92 Bowman Meh, the cactus picture and the striped shirt combo from Chess King.

Think his 91 Bowman card is worth picking up instead of the upper deck?

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Pick up the Tiffany Bowman. Much better looking card

• @dictoresno said:
    It could’ve been dropped during shipping and the corner could’ve taken on the damage.

I've inadvertently done that damage to many worthless cards over the years. It looks like someone picked up a block of cards out of a tight-packed row in a box, and that card was the "last" one in the block they grabbed. If the slab did that from a drop, you would expect the damage to be on the front as well. The card doesn't move enough in the slab to cause that imo.

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

@dictoresno said:

I've inadvertently done that damage to many worthless cards over the years. It looks like someone picked up a block of cards out of a tight-packed row in a box, and that card was the "last" one in the block they grabbed. If the slab did that from a drop, you would expect the damage to be on the front as well. The card doesn't move enough in the slab to cause that imo.

So since this damage was only on the back you think PSA graded it a 10 that way?

myslabs.to/smzcards

• I think there are three options:

1. Movement in the slab somehow caused damage to only a small spot on the back of the card.
    2. PSA missed it.
    3. The slab was cracked and the card was replaced.

I personally don't think movement in the slab could have caused that specific damage. I could be wrong, but virtually all PSA graded cards move within the slab, and if that type of damage was possible, I think it would be much more common(a high % of cards would be damaged during shipping). USPS, UPS FDEX - they aren't exactly "gentle" with packages that don't say "Fragile/breakable/top-up" etc... Casual handling of the package and probably motion from transportation would cause the card to slide. But the card only has a few millimeters of space in which it can move, and I'm not sure its enough to cause damage. And again, this damage would be common when people get their cards back from PSA if its just from sliding in the slab.

I'd suggest an experiment if you happen to have a worthless card in a slab - shake the hell out of it and see what type of damage you can make. Short of that, try contacting PSA, send them the scan and ask if that damage could have been caused while in the slab. Unless the slab has been cracked, they are probably "on the hook" with either answer(either they know they have faulty slabs or they missed that damage).

The seller stated they weren't aware of the damage and it's easy to miss at first glance. It's the older style slab, which doesn't look tampered with. My guess is it would've had to take a good drop, directly on the top of the holder to get that damage. But like I stated, the front of the card shows no signs of rippling or damage so it may well be the card stock and PSA determined since it's the back of the card, it still meets a 10. I'll email them and ask, but they are notorious for slow response times and very little commenting on grading since the people answering the emails aren't the graders.

myslabs.to/smzcards

@dictoresno said:
    Ugh I just looked over my PSA 10 1991 Topps Chipper Jones I picked up two weeks ago and noticed it must’ve been damaged in transit. Looks like it took a shock from a drop and ripples against the PSA holder. I’ll reach out to the seller but I doubt there’s a recourse. The front of the card is pristine, no signs of this damage on the front. Will this effect the eye appeal and value of the card now?

that looks bad

Lol thanks

myslabs.to/smzcards

I just looked at it again and it's crazy how perfectly the damage fits like a puzzle piece against the actual part of the holder. I actually do think it may have caused the damage. I'm gonna email PSA and see what they say. In this pic, you can see there's no front damage. But on the back you see where the ripple starts exactly where the ridge that holds the card is.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• There is certainly visible front damage in the picture above. You don't see that?

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:
    There is certainly visible front damage in the picture above. You don't see that?

now that I'm looking at the blown up pic, yea i can kinda see that. its not apparent under the naked eye and even under the loupe. just looked at it again under the loupe, the damage is so faint its barely noticeable. however yes, its there. you can see the curve of the holder and the curve of the damage match. I'm going to email PSA.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Yeh, I see what you are pointing out and how that mark is right there where the ridge in the holder is/stops. My argument is simply that, if that was the source, this type of damage should be very common and it would have put PSA out of business long ago. Its weird that the mark is so faint you can't see it with the naked eye and its hard to see with the loupe. I'd be curious as to what PSA responds. They either missed it or their holder caused it imo. Either way....

@dictoresno said:

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:
    There is certainly visible front damage in the picture above. You don't see that?

now that I'm looking at the blown up pic, yea i can kinda see that. its not apparent under the naked eye and even under the loupe. just looked at it again under the loupe, the damage is so faint its barely noticeable. however yes, its there. you can see the curve of the holder and the curve of the damage match. I'm going to email PSA.

Gasp , i wont be able to sleep tonight.

all my cards will be inspected

can't be seen with the naked eye at all. i had to go under magnification and proper backlighting to get the crinkled surface to even show properly for the picture. crazy, to the naked eye, card looks pristine on the front. however, since the damage is negligible and undetected to the naked eye, they still may consider it to be a 10

myslabs.to/smzcards

@lawyer05 said:

@dictoresno said:

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

Gasp , i wont be able to sleep tonight.

all my cards will be inspected

how do you think i feel, i got my GEM MT 10 84 Topps McGwire to worry about now too. lol same white delicate inks on the front.

myslabs.to/smzcards

OMG THIS POST SHOULD BE IN TH HORROR SECTION !!!!!!

my bet is PSA will state the card was dropped in its holder and its impact damage, which they have nothing to do with. who knows what the previous owner did with it.

myslabs.to/smzcards

so if it gets dropped in its holder your card will suffer this damage ?
    DOUBLE OMG !!!!

your avatar and your post are bringing nightmares

card looks damaged front and back which most likely happened when the slab was closed ....

@lawyer05 said:
    card looks damaged front and back which most likely happened when the slab was closed ....

That's a good point. Could look like a crushing damage as opposed to the impact hence the perfect outline and wrinkles

myslabs.to/smzcards

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

hawk eyes

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2017 10:19AM

@dictoresno I had PSA damage a Tracy Mcgrady SP rc years ago where they must have had the card slip while the slab was getting pressed to seal it so there is a possibility that damage happened from the grader. MY card came back a 5 with a straight inch long impression in the center of it. I think there is a better chance of that damage happening with PSA rather than getting dropped during shipping.

• @dictoresno said:
    ..... however, since the damage is negligible and undetected to the naked eye, they still may consider it to be a 10

If they had seen it, they wouldn't have graded it a 10. They are sticklers for that kind of stuff.

The other poster had a good idea about it possibly happening when they closed the slab. If it is as faint as you say to the naked eye, maybe sliding could have caused it. The scan makes it seem much more noticeable.

FWIW, I have two 1992 Bowman Mike Piazza's in PSA slabs(8 and 9 grades) and the 8 might have something very, very faint like that along the bottom border on the front side. But I have never looked at it under a loupe and with the naked eye(at every angle in good light) it doesn't look as pronounced as the mark does in your scan. I assumed they saw that and graded it an 8(otherwise, its unarguably better than the one that is graded a 9).

they grade the card first then they put the slab. they are not going to regrade after they mess it up..... anywho....ill be looking at my cards tonight......
    again thanks for keeping me up tonight :)

in the future just get PSA 1 cards .. u dont have to deal with the issues that PSA 10 have
    :wink:

PSA took heavy interest in the issue and the possibility of the card being crimped in the case accidentally. They requested more photos of the whole slab and will further investigate it.

myslabs.to/smzcards

@dictoresno said:
    PSA took heavy interest in the issue and the possibility of the card being crimped in the case accidentally. They requested more photos of the whole slab and will further investigate it.

i bet.. they will go to the bottom of it and probably fire the individual responsible for such atrocity

they requested I send them the card for management review, no cost to me. so I sent it in today, 5 day service on the box as per them. so far very pleased with their customer service.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a Chip Chipperson in PSA 9

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"

So I got notification from PSA today that the card is being shipped back to me. When I run the old cert, it comes up as a GEM MT 10 again and reholdered in the new lighthouse label flip. I have no idea if they sourced a new one for me as a replacement or deemed the old card still warranted a GEM MT 10 grade. Emailed the guy who was assisting me and he stated they should have emailed or called me with the outcome, instead of blindly mailing me the card back without explaining what the deal is. Waiting for him to speak with management to figure it out.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jackstraw said:

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:
    It really irks me that there is almost an entire era of players for which their cards aren't worth jack and never will be. Heck, you could also argue that even the players that have a higher-priced card, its overpriced given the quantity made(like Griffey). And the funny thing - when KGJ is up for the HOF, the card will "increase" again, even though you can find a stack at every table at every card show in America on any given weekend.

Griffey got in the HOF last summer. His Upper Deck rookie went up in a 10 grade but not much in the the other grades. I agree overpriced and overprinted.

This card has been the King of the modern era baseball cards for almost 30 years. You should grab as many as you can in the PSA 9 grade.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 89 UD Griffey is certainly an iconic card, and I would suggest that every collector should possess one. Everyone should collect what they like, for sure. However, the mass over-production of 89 Upper Deck in general, and the subsequent manipulation of the condition of the existing Griffey specimens, if true, lends very little credence to it ever being considered a "good investment", in my opinion.

So my card was delivered today from PSA. It looks like they sourced another gem mint 10 chipper jones, slabbed it under my old cert number and sent it to me on their dime. They kept my old damaged card. I’m actually surprised at this level of customer service. Just thankful it wasn’t a much more expensive or rare card. I have no idea how they would handle that. Kudos to PSA for being very customer oriented in this situation.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• @dictoresno said:
    So my card was delivered today from PSA. It looks like they sourced another gem mint 10 chipper jones, slabbed it under my old cert number and sent it to me on their dime. They kept my old damaged card. >

Wouldn't that be "fraud" of sorts? That card in the slab isn't the one they graded that matches back to the cert #. Regardless of whether the card in there now is an actual "10", its not the card that was put in that slab with that cert #. Why would they not have just given you a new slab with a new card? Are you sure that's what they did?

edited September 22, 2017 11:02AM

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

@dictoresno said:
    So my card was delivered today from PSA. It looks like they sourced another gem mint 10 chipper jones, slabbed it under my old cert number and sent it to me on their dime. They kept my old damaged card. >

Wouldn't that be "fraud" of sorts? That card in the slab isn't the one they graded that matches back to the cert #. Regardless of whether the card in there now is an actual "10", its not the card that was put in that slab with that cert #. Why would they not have just given you a new slab with a new card? Are you sure that's what they did?

My guess is they deemed they damaged the card initially when it was slabbed. It was originally a 10 until they went to seal it in the holder. To make the customer whole again, they replaced the card with an undamaged 10. And to keep the population correct, reused the same cert. I don’t see it as fraud. It’s a new lighthouse label slab, not the old one. They sent me a new card and new slab just reused the old cert as if I sent it in for a reholder service.

myslabs.to/smzcards